Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_box)
    Ok, after having serious thoughts about this I now think I'm just going to apply to 2 unis in Apply 1 as they are the places I really would love to go to and want to throw everything into them.
    My third option was going to be a SCITT/Schools Direct place further away from home but the more I think about it the more I know I would prefer the PGCE option at these particular Unis at this time.

Scared that this risky strategy may leave me with nothing but applying for something for the sake of putting a third option down probably isn't smart either...
    I don't see the point in not applying to a third choice, personally.

Not this year, anyway - in previous years where you made separate applications for SD places, then yes - I can understand thinking it is better to "put more effort in where you really want to go" and not spending extra time on a third, separate (and time consuming!) application...

But this year? I'd apply for the third (School Direct) option too. It's all done using UCAS - it's still just one application form whether you apply for one, two or three choices, including School Direct, so you don't have to do anything extra whatsoever at this stage.

And if you decide you really don't wanna go down the School Direct route later on you can just say you cannot attend the interview/go to interview and reject any possible offers/withdraw your application. It might not be so easy to do it the other way around and apply later as places on the SD route might have already gone by the time you get your theoretical rejections!

TL;DR version: applying to a third option takes no extra effort at this stage - so nothing to lose but potentially something/everything to gain. I'm not saying necessarily that you should consider it equal to your other choices - it's completely fine to have a first/second/third best option (in previous years you actually did rank your choices this way on your application form... awkward!) but surely it is better to apply - seeing as though you're going through the pain in the arse that is UCAS anyway - and leave the "but do I/don't I wanna go down this route" conversation later, if and when you come to that bridge.

I know I'd personally feel like a complete turnip if my other two choices both rejected me and I'd be constantly thinking "what if". Not worth it for the extra few minutes it takes to apply!

Also before anyone mentions it not being fair on other potential applicants - completely fine and fair. Most of us on here are applying to three choices - we can all only attend one! So I'd wager 80%+ of us will end up turning one or more offers down, assuming we get multiple offers in the first place. It's a known fact, and planned for - unis have reserve lists that they go to if more than the expected number of applicants withdraw/reject offers, etc.

Just my opinion I'd hate to see you not get on your two choices and be sad next summer for the sake of just adding another choice to UCAS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captainconehead)
    Quick question regarding the personal statement. Is everyone just inputting as much information in as possible or are you leaving space for clear gaps showing a new paragraph starting?

My statement flows and looks much neater with typical paragraphs included but this puts me 6 lines over!

If I just cram it all in as wall big wall of text I'm bang on 47 lines?!

I would much rather it be more visually striking but obviously I would compromise this for more information yet the biggest fear I have is that the providers may think I don't know when to input paragraphs properly when really its just that I'm desperate to make every word count!

Any feedback would be great!

Good luck to all those applying.
    Yes - this is the third personal statement I've wrote so far (I have applied to undergrad courses twice now in the past - got conditional and then unconditional offers from ALL the unis I applied to both times, too) and I always leave a gap in between paragraphs.

The Careers lady at uni described it best - paragraphs aren't just about making it look nicer to read. It's about showing you've put some forethought and planning in to your writing - and if the quality of your personal statement rests on the 3 or so lines you'll save/gain by omitting spaces in between paragraphs - then the rest of your personal statement is not good enough and you need to work on it some more.

A good personal statement isn't just about a checklist of what to include ("why I want to be a teacher"), it's also a reflection of how well you write more generally. If you absolutely, desperately need those extra 3-4 or so lines, then you're doing something wrong. It should be perfectly possible to write a good/better than average/great personal statement that is bang on 47 lines and under 4000 characters AND leave spaces in between paragraphs.

ReputationRep:
    hi I've looked on the ucas page and the unis I was thinking of applying to are not in the course search. Does anyone know if more will be added tomorrow?? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graceindia)
    hi I've looked on the ucas page and the unis I was thinking of applying to are not in the course search. Does anyone know if more will be added tomorrow?? xx
    was it this page?

http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...rch.HsForm.run

if they're not on there then they may be on tomorrow, but most likely they'll be opening later as it does say different uni's have their two-week opening period at different times. which unis were you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys, one more q -

My personal statement is 50 lines but 3681 characters with spaces...will this fit into the box in UCAS?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I was looking at the wrong page!! I've had a look now but my first choice York st john is not up there yet, really hope it is tomorrow! Think I'm applying to York St John, leeds trinity, leeds met or hull still can't decide between the last two! I'm thinking I might apply to hull instead of leeds met just because of the wording of the entry requirements on their web pages hull seem nicer, is that stupid? Where are you applying? xx

ReputationRep:
    Last year you could only apply for 2 primary PGCE places. However, UCAS says three places (didn't say primary or secondary). Question - how many PGCE primary places can we apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Just to say good luck to everyone for application time tomorrow! :-) let the waiting begin! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Descartes93)
    Sorry guys, one more q -

My personal statement is 50 lines but 3681 characters with spaces...will this fit into the box in UCAS?

Thanks
    No it needs to be at most 47 lines and at most 4000 characters unfortunately.

(Original post by graceindia)
    Thank you I was looking at the wrong page!! I've had a look now but my first choice York st john is not up there yet, really hope it is tomorrow! Think I'm applying to York St John, leeds trinity, leeds met or hull still can't decide between the last two! I'm thinking I might apply to hull instead of leeds met just because of the wording of the entry requirements on their web pages hull seem nicer, is that stupid? Where are you applying? xx
    Fingers crossed it will be up there tomorrow then, maybe worth giving them an email/call tomorrow if its not.
    I'm applying Reading, Winchester and St Mary's!
    Reading's wording is very scary though so i understand where you're coming from!

(Original post by Fen2k)
    Last year you could only apply for 2 primary PGCE places. However, UCAS says three places (didn't say primary or secondary). Question - how many PGCE primary places can we apply for?

It's definitely three places for PGCE Primary!

ReputationRep:
    Just had the daftest day ever. Accidentally sent an email asking for a reference to myself rather than to the teacher, so she hadn't received it. Panicked and sent a new email out but she's replied within a few hours saying she's happy to do it. Hurray!

All those who are getting a teacher to do the reference on behalf of the head, what details are you going to put in the UCAS reference bit? Which email will you use? Ta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Just had the daftest day ever. Accidentally sent an email asking for a reference to myself rather than to the teacher, so she hadn't received it. Panicked and sent a new email out but she's replied within a few hours saying she's happy to do it. Hurray!

All those who are getting a teacher to do the reference on behalf of the head, what details are you going to put in the UCAS reference bit? Which email will you use? Ta.

I'm going to be using the teachers email, hope that's okay!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I went on the course search and one of the ones I'd hoped to apply for isn't there - does anyone know if it's likely to open up at another time or when? I don't know whether to wait and apply for that one when its opens or what

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone. Ever so slightly wetting myself right now!

ReputationRep:

I'm using the headteachers and she has said she will then forward the email onto the assistant head who is my referee - so he will basically log in as her.

ReputationRep:
    Here we go guys! The day is here. The countdown till UCAS putting it up starts! I'll wait up a couple of hours still but no doubt it'll be mid morning.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone, I hope you all get what you want. xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    Here we go guys! The day is here. The countdown till UCAS putting it up starts! I'll wait up a couple of hours still but no doubt it'll be mid morning.
    If even then. UCAS - God bless them - will probably manage to stuff it up somehow... I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't in a usable state until the weekend and beyond...

Especially as a search 5 minutes ago still showed that a lot of my prospective choices aren't on there, slightly worrying! Even if the courses do not open today - the 21st - the UCAS site has always said we'd be able to "search and apply" from the 21st... I always took that to mean they'd all be on there on the 21st, even just as a search result that can't be applied to until later on when they open. Now I am wondering if they will only show up when the applications for that particular course/uni... grrr. Not sure if I am making sense I just thought that the search part would be fully functional with all courses listed from the 21st, even if they weren't open yet......... Now unless all the unis are waking up early in the morning and getting them up there by mid-afternoon, I am thinking they won't show up unless they're open.

Ah well.

I am supposed to be working at 10:30am in the morning until about 10:30pm tomorrow night. So the only time I will really be able to apply is if it is live first thing in the morning, or at 10pm tomorrow night! Neither are ideal, but I am so excited..... I just wanna apply!

I feel like I have been waiting for years (to be fair, I am almost 23 - I kinda have) just to be able to apply. I really want a place, obviously - but applying is part of the fun. To get to this stage is a great achievement for me. Hopefully fingers crossed I will get a place but if not, I am going to try my best to enjoy the entire process... it has been a weird journey to get to this stage so I am just happy to get here. /xfactor sob story

Good luck everyone! I am setting my alarm for 7am regardless.... I know I have more chance of having sex with Jesus than it being live at 7am but hey ho! It's all part of the fun!

Good luck everyone! xxx

(Woops just realised I already said that. Too excited to remove it.... think these tablets are having a weird effect on me!)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

I e-mailed the teacher who knows me best asking what normal procedure was, and he said to use the head's contact details and that he would write the reference and send it on to her.

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck everyone, I'm sure these next few months will be filled with so many different emotions and results. I hope that in the end, we all get what we want and truly deserve.

Thank you all so much for the support and advice up until now, let's rock this year!

ReputationRep:
    I know it's already been asked, but is anyone considering Exeter uni? It's still not on there, and it's too risky to hedge my bets and wait for it to possibly never be put up on the list! I do have Brighton as a back up, but I'd still prefer to know and to not be wondering 'what if'! Good luck everyone for the morning though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.