Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NellyMelly)
    That's amazing! (I realised you start next month then I edited my previous post haha)
    I'm going to my second year & was just thinking of things I could do to enhance my overall employability as well as some relevant work experience .I don't want to make the same mistake I did with undergraduate where I hardly had any relevant work experience .It was quite difficult when it came to writing my personal statement .With GEM I know work experience very important

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did an undergrad masters in chemistry. Start looking at some ward volunteering and shadowing doctors/consultants. It's always good to try and see a junior doctor at work compared to a consultant. A big thing about the work experience is how you reflect from your experiences. Take a notebook and pen with you and jot down things you didn't expect, how you would approach a situation etc etc. Long term work experience such as volunteering on a ward/ care home is looked upon more favourably than a few days shadowing here and there.

It's always good to get involved with some societies at uni as well to show you are well rounded. Sports teams etc. If your uni has a LINKS society (which is a st johns ambulance thing) then go for that too!

Don't forget to focus on your current course though as ultimately you will need a 2.1 to be confident in applying to most places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Men)
    I did an undergrad masters in chemistry. Start looking at some ward volunteering and shadowing doctors/consultants. It's always good to try and see a junior doctor at work compared to a consultant. A big thing about the work experience is how you reflect from your experiences. Take a notebook and pen with you and jot down things you didn't expect, how you would approach a situation etc etc. Long term work experience such as volunteering on a ward/ care home is looked upon more favourably than a few days shadowing here and there.

It's always good to get involved with some societies at uni as well to show you are well rounded. Sports teams etc. If your uni has a LINKS society (which is a st johns ambulance thing) then go for that too!

Don't forget to focus on your current course though as ultimately you will need a 2.1 to be confident in applying to most places.
    Thank you so much .I have taken a screenshot of your reply haha!
    Really great advice .I will be joining a few societies this year ,last year I isolated myself & that ended up not doing me any good.Hoping for a better balance this year .
    Must be a tough job for admissions.It must be difficult to stand out because everybody has done quite a lot but I'm determined!
    Thank you so much
    Please stay on tsr whilst studying in the next 4 years ,I may need you in a few years!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NellyMelly)
    Thank you so much .I have taken a screenshot of your reply haha!
    Really great advice .I will be joining a few societies this year ,last year I isolated myself & that ended up not doing me any good.Hoping for a better balance this year .
    Must be a tough job for admissions.It must be difficult to stand out because everybody has done quite a lot but I'm determined!
    Thank you so much
    Please stay on tsr whilst studying in the next 4 years ,I may need you in a few years!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aha no worries. Happy to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Hey I joined LINKS society last year and learnt the first aid with St John Ambulance, but never actually did the exam to become a trainee first aider. Would you think this is even worth mentioning considering I don't have any qualifications in it? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. Also do you think they'd know what LINKS is or just mention SJA in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know why graduates can't defer entry? For 4 or 5 year courses it seems?

I was considering applying to Leicester but they don't let graduates defer and keep their offer. They have to achieve a high ukcat the following year and risk not getting the offer again.

Also is anyone else considering applying to Leicester? According to their scoring system I would get 61.5/68 but not sure if thats a 'safe' score to apply with. The cutoff last year was 57 but since they've got rid of their graduate course it will probably go up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    Lol I'm glad you agree with me. I thought I was being mean.
    Nothing wrong with people asking questions even if they are easily Googled/obvious. It generates conversation and keeps the community alive, after all.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has already been asked 10 times before...

Does anyone know if/when they will release the preliminary UKCAT scores for this years test? I know last year they released the first means and decile ranges around the 10th of August based on those that had already completed the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Hey I joined LINKS society last year and learnt the first aid with St John Ambulance, but never actually did the exam to become a trainee first aider. Would you think this is even worth mentioning considering I don't have any qualifications in it? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. Also do you think they'd know what LINKS is or just mention SJA in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm part of Links to. Worth mentioning it if you think it is applicable- learnt anything valuable but imo the qualification is best. SJA (University name) LINKS

(Original post by converseallstars)
    Nothing wrong with people asking questions even if they are easily Googled/obvious. It generates conversation and keeps the community alive, after all.
    I never said it was wrong, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJT)
    Sorry if this has already been asked 10 times before...

Does anyone know if/when they will release the preliminary UKCAT scores for this years test? I know last year they released the first means and decile ranges around the 10th of August based on those that had already completed the test.
    IIRC I saw on the UKCAT Twitter feed that they weren't releasing preliminary stats this year since apparently 50% of candidates take the test in the last two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssBee_92)
    Does anyone know why graduates can't defer entry? For 4 or 5 year courses it seems?

I was considering applying to Leicester but they don't let graduates defer and keep their offer. They have to achieve a high ukcat the following year and risk not getting the offer again.

Also is anyone else considering applying to Leicester? According to their scoring system I would get 61.5/68 but not sure if thats a 'safe' score to apply with. The cutoff last year was 57 but since they've got rid of their graduate course it will probably go up?
    Leicester took their course down

ReputationRep:
    Brutal. I'm not surprised at that though given their admissions criteria for the grad scheme kept on being amended and amended and amended. Looked like a fantastic place to apply to but clearly ever increasingly difficult to apply to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topgear1987)
    Brutal. I'm not surprised at that though given their admissions criteria for the grad scheme kept on being amended and amended and amended. Looked like a fantastic place to apply to but clearly ever increasingly difficult to apply to.
    I applied to them last year and they kept me hanging on for an interview and the rejected me. They said I was 0.5-1 mark off the mark for interview! I wanted to scream.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    I applied to them last year and they kept me hanging on for an interview and the rejected me. They said I was 0.5-1 mark off the mark for interview! I wanted to scream.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been one mark from an offer before and really wanted to burn everything down. Have you fared better this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topgear1987)
    I've been one mark from an offer before and really wanted to burn everything down. Have you fared better this year?
    I'm applying this year again, so we shall see! Ukcat is on Tuesday so all rides on that really. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kj0511)
    I'm getting really stressed out about this application. I really want to do this and I have for years but now I feel sometimes that my motivation is really low because theres just so little chance of actually getting it. I started my Job in the hospital yesterday and it made me even more sure that this is what I want to do but statistically the chances are just so low. Anyone else feeling like this?

Me tooooo Omg! I swear before I started the application ... I felt so optimistic but as the time (oct) is getting closer I'm getting more and more demotivated. I feel like I don't even have a chance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natha_Lite)
    IIRC I saw on the UKCAT Twitter feed that they weren't releasing preliminary stats this year since apparently 50% of candidates take the test in the last two weeks.
    Oh. They were very accurate last year and it seems like a good means of giving people an idea whether scores are likely to rise or fall. Ah well. Thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    I applied last year in 2014 and I'm starting in Aberdeen next month! Many applications and I finally managed it. Don't mean to be in the wrong place in this thread but I'm partial to those who had a similar approach to myself. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Graduate Entry is a tough route to go down that's true but people do have to be given places! I was in the exact same situation as you guys last year.

I was going to apply this year with you guys as that would mean that I could get more work experience for my application as I have now graduated. In the end I decided to apply last year to see what the process was like with no real hope of gaining a place. My UKCAT was 640 average so that instantly stopped me applying for any of those unis which then meant I had to face the dreaded GAMSAT.

After sitting the GAMSAT and BMAT I applied right on the deadline day not knowing the results to the tests (as you don't get them till November if I remember correctly) and my work experience at that point equated to 1 week shadowing a junior doctor.

I managed to secure interviews at 2 universities at which point I had an extra week shadowing a consultant and 3 months volunteering on a ward and was placed on the waiting list for both.

A couple of months later I was rejected from one of the waiting lists leaving me with just one choice left. I wasn't very hopeful as you can imagine. However a couple of months after the initial offers were given out I had a phone call saying I had gained a place on the course!

I just want to let you guys know that it isn't a quick and straight forward process. Don't give up hope as if it's the career you really want to do then you'll do it. Don't be disheartened if you are unsuccessful this year as you can always reapply. Think of it as a way to get familiar with the application/interview process.

Finally I would just like to say a big good luck to everyone applying this year! Keep powering through!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    WOW WOW WOW! Honestly what you wrote helped me and literally just put me at ease. Since I started my application I've been feeling very disheartened and feeling like I have no chance whatsoever but your right, if I don't get in at least I'm familiar with the process and can work on strengthening my next application, though it would be nice to get in first time round hehe.

Anyways I just want to say THANK YOU! I can sleep now (nearly 2am) spent hours on here 😅

ReputationRep:
    Graduate Entry is a tough route to go down that's true but people do have to be given places! I was in the exact same situation as you guys last year.

I was going to apply this year with you guys as that would mean that I could get more work experience for my application as I have now graduated. In the end I decided to apply last year to see what the process was like with no real hope of gaining a place. My UKCAT was 640 average so that instantly stopped me applying for any of those unis which then meant I had to face the dreaded GAMSAT.

After sitting the GAMSAT and BMAT I applied right on the deadline day not knowing the results to the tests (as you don't get them till November if I remember correctly) and my work experience at that point equated to 1 week shadowing a junior doctor.

I managed to secure interviews at 2 universities at which point I had an extra week shadowing a consultant and 3 months volunteering on a ward and was placed on the waiting list for both.

A couple of months later I was rejected from one of the waiting lists leaving me with just one choice left. I wasn't very hopeful as you can imagine. However a couple of months after the initial offers were given out I had a phone call saying I had gained a place on the course!

I just want to let you guys know that it isn't a quick and straight forward process. Don't give up hope as if it's the career you really want to do then you'll do it. Don't be disheartened if you are unsuccessful this year as you can always reapply. Think of it as a way to get familiar with the application/interview process.

Finally I would just like to say a big good luck to everyone applying this year! Keep powering through!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Forgot to say CONGRATS! Must of been the best feeling, getting that phone call! Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Just wondering, what are everyone's plans if you don't get into graduate medicine this year?
    I will try to find a job, preferably lab work, brush up on my work experience and anything to help me strengthen my application for 2017! But I want to get in sooooooo bad!!!!! - what about you? What's your plan?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.