Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Environment and conservation should be of a higher priority than the economy and general development.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Britain needs to deal with criminals more firmly. That's all I'm prepared to say...

ReputationRep:
    I think that there should be more of an emphasis on supporting paedophiles to suppress their urges in a way that doesn't automatically demonise them like society normally does. I don't by any means advocate the kind of behaviour and activity that such people may endorse or take part in, but I think that if there are people who are genuinely battling harmful urges and recognise the impact that this is having on them, that there should be some sort of programme (be it therapy, meetings or whatever) to allow them to explain their difficulties so that the likelihood of them going out and committing a major sex offence is greatly reduced. Therefore I think people who are suffering detrimental sexual urges (such as paedophiles, rapists or other minorities) should be treated psychologically, as harmful fetishes can be considered a psychological disorder in my books.

People are very quick to judge - but actually, if you think for a moment, there are undoubtedly people out there who feel ashamed of their sexual urges and don't want to act on them, but they feel like there isn't really anything they can do to help it. Imagine being one of those people (also applies to homosexuals decades ago when people were much less accepting.)

Another thing: I think that sexual offenders should not be named publicly unless they are formally charged. Even if someone has had sexual abuse allegations against them which have turned out to be false, they have still been tarred with the same brush even after those accusations have been subsided.

ReputationRep:
    The world is round.

Since when?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiko777)
    I think being being homosexual is unnatural and pathological as someone mentioned previously
    If your birth year was the same as your IQ, I'd have asked if you knew Jesus personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Bisexuals are just greedy....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    It's a disorder of reproduction, specifically sexual attraction. It is clearly not a choice, and many studies have implicated a genetic component. Some would argue that a certain proportion of the population being gay actually confers overall reproductive benefit (something to do with demographic stability I'm not quite sure), but other diseases may also be beneficial in some aspects - CF and cholera, Sickle-cell and malaria.

However, what is important is that gay people should still have rights and be treated with respect. Like we don't make fun of the physically disabled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that you are probably right that homosexuality has an evolutionary purpose - population control, like the many other factors which nature had produced in insure balance on this planet (be it unsuccessfully).

However I object to it being seen as some kind of genetic disease. (I am also all for gay couples having children). Being gay does not course a dis-ease of the body. It is not a stifle on living a full and healthy life, full of love and a for-filling sex life. It is no disability. It is no judgement on the genetic make-up of the person or there suitability to reproduce.

We must not see healthy loving relationships as abnormal or a mistake.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by dyslexicvegie)
    I think that you are probably right that homosexuality has an evolutionary purpose - population control, like the many other factors which nature had produced in insure balance on this planet (be it unsuccessfully).

However I object to it being seen as some kind of genetic disease. (I am also all for gay couples having children). Being gay does not course a dis-ease of the body. It is not a stifle on living a full and healthy life, full of love and a for-filling sex life. It is no disability. It is no judgement on the genetic make-up of the person or there suitability to reproduce.

We must not see healthy loving relationships as abnormal or a mistake.
    disease doesn't necessarily have to affect quality of life or life expectancy. The simple definition is "atypical biological functioning."

Homosexuality used to be in DSM, and it was removed for political reasons not medical ones.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe babies should be baptised or entered into a religion. I believe that they should make up their own minds when they are older.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    Sorry but i'm sure most gay people would be straight if they could be.
    Please refrain from speaking on behalf of others in this way, especially when you're completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sro)
    Please refrain from speaking on behalf of others in this way, especially when you're completely wrong.
    Well what about people who have always wanted a girlfriend and a family and then discover that they are gay and can't have children? I am sure they would love to be straight.

Why do you think it takes some people so long to come out?

( I am not anti gay I am just giving my view and evidence)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    I am ashamed of this but I get really angry and upset inside when English people say that I am Irish or from Ireland.

I try and say nothing most of the time to avoid any problems..

It probably sounds petty but if you lived here you'd understand that NI is quite different to ROI.
    It's an extremely complicated situation - no need to be ashamed. I'm guessing (not assuming) you're from a Protestant family. One of my friends was born outside the island of Ireland into a Catholic family from Newcastle (Co Down) and he also feels quite strongly about his nationality. The constitutional status of Northern Ireland is unique in the world, and that's why people don't 'get' it. Small incorrect assumptions, like calling NI part of ROI, ROI part of UK, everyone from NI being British/Irish will prevail unfortunately.

The best thing I think someone from NI can do to educate someone from outside NI on the situation is to politely educate them. If they get defensive that's their problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    It's an extremely complicated situation - no need to be ashamed. I'm guessing (not assuming) you're from a Protestant family. One of my friends was born outside the island of Ireland into a Catholic family from Newcastle (Co Down) and he also feels quite strongly about his nationality. The constitutional status of Northern Ireland is unique in the world, and that's why people don't 'get' it. Small incorrect assumptions, like calling NI part of ROI, ROI part of UK, everyone from NI being British/Irish will prevail unfortunately.

The best thing I think someone from NI can do to educate someone from outside NI on the situation is to politely educate them. If they get defensive that's their problem.
    No i'm not I just don't see any connection to ROI,i've no family from there and my granda is a protestant. Also I feel like i'm more northern irish than anything else.

We have our own destinctive dialect and culture here so I don't see why its hard to grasp that. I mean obviously we are from the island of Ireland but I think English people should understand that we are living in a seperate country with different laws and customs to the rest of the Island.

It can get slightly irritating when they say we have lovely "Irish accents" which may be correct in a way BUT the dialect we have in Northern Ireland is really different to ROI.

Sorry for the rant I was in England in the weekend and got a little fed up of people telling me about their relatives in Cork which is 300 miles away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wsxcde)
    This isnt true honestly, I dont know what the statistic is that 2 out of 100 people using condoms will get pregnant but I am pretty sure it covers condoms not applied correctly, condoms which tear etc and bad quality ones at that which didnt use spermicide etc. I have had sex with someone with no condoms, no pill, for over a year, just pulling out to ejaculate and they never got pregnant. There are other things you can do to reduce risk of pregnancy for example if a man just regularly has a hot bath he can become waay less fertile. But the idea that having sex once a week with a condom leading most likely to a pregnancy within a year is really completely wrong, it almost certainly wouldnt.
    The figure is widely available on various sex education sites, and it appears to be based on research by the centre for disease control. However, the centre themselves have a page which sets it even lower at only 82% effective. This is the figure normally quoted as the overall effectiveness (including all users), it only ever becomes 98% when used correctly.

But hey, who needs research based evidence when you can just pull out and have a bath!

This attitude is what causes the damaging misconceptions to carry on... It never happened to me so it must all be lies! Like when you hear someone saying they think smoking can't cause any harm because their aunt smoked for years and never got cancer.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    disease doesn't necessarily have to affect quality of life or life expectancy. The simple definition is "atypical biological functioning."

Homosexuality used to be in DSM, and it was removed for political reasons not medical ones.
    So are blue eyes pathological because they're less common than brown eyes and therefore "abnormal"?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Blazar)
    So are blue eyes pathological because they're less common than brown eyes and therefore "abnormal"?
    That's just normal variation. Blue eyes pretty much work the same as brown eyes with respect to function of the iris.

Homosexuality and heterosexuality are functional opposites.

ReputationRep:

I would argue that sexual attraction to the same sex is not "atypical biological functioning". The idea that suntan types of sex between two consenting adults is 'wrong' or 'weird' is a cultural/religious construct.

Many people experience same sex attraction to some extent during puberty, even if there sexuality then settles on only the other sex. In the last lot of research, just under 20% of women in the UK admitted to having had some form of sexual experience with another women.

There are more gay people than there are Ginger people, I don't think the hire follicles of Ginger people are "atypical biological functioning".
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Blazar)
    What? :lolwut:
    It asked for controversial.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    It asked for controversial.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm asking you to provide justification. The thread doesn't state that your controversial "opinion" will remain unchallenged.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.