Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sherbet_lemons7)
    But yeah. Doing pancake day with ~20 under 7's in about an hours time.
    Sweet Jesus! :headfire: You're braver than I am :eek:

(Original post by RebekaT)
    I'm writing a documentary on mental illness for my film studies coursework and I was wondering if people would mind sharing why they sometimes don't/find it hard to admit that they have a mental illness? I completely understand if you don't want to
    Part of my condition (schizoaffective disorder, depressive type) is occasional delusional behaviour/thinking, a prime example being refusing to believe that I'm ill and thinking it's fine to stop medication :facepalm:

Another huge reason that I don't admit to being mentally ill in family circles is because I'm Asian, and there's a huge stigma about mental health in Asian communities. Notions of mental health either don't exist, aren't understood properly, or at the very least are known about but never talked about :erm: It would harm my marital prospects (and also both my sisters' marital prospects) if the wider Sinhalese community knew that I was mentally ill :bhangra:

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Thanks. He ended up getting put to sleep I know its for the best since he's no longer suffering but damn it still hurts so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm very sorry for your loss Huge hugs to you :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Thanks. He ended up getting put to sleep I know its for the best since he's no longer suffering but damn it still hurts so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherbet_lemons7)
    Why thank you. I feel I'll need it. :hugs:

:hmmm: You and your stereotypes... :hand:

Spoiler:
    Show
    We actually are
    Youre very welcome! I know that stress all too much :P but all be it painting or just general class work. but then again most of them were 4-5 :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    : It would harm my marital prospects (and also both my sisters' marital prospects) if the wider Sinhalese community knew that I was mentally ill :bhangra:
    Seriously? That is absurd. :/
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Seriously? That is absurd. :/
    :sadnod:

My life is a bit like Pride and Prejudice in that one sibling's future/decisions has the potential to affect all the other siblings too :eek:

ReputationRep:
    today was a productive day for once.

ReputationRep:
    food
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i have had no appetite the last few days and I don't know why. like the thought of putting food in my mouth just doesn't seem appealing :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :sadnod:

My life is a bit like Pride and Prejudice in that one sibling's future/decisions has the potential to affect all the other siblings too :eek:
    That really sucks. :console:

ReputationRep:
    What a day.

Went to bed feeling deeply depressed and refusing my antipsychotic/mood stabiliser, woke up manic, had a visit from the acute MH team and compromised on half my meds, meds brought me down, and now I just feel exhausted.

And my diagnosis has changed from depression with psychosis to schizoaffective disorder (with bipolar / mixed type)

Feel like i've been hit by a truck but kinda feel like I could do anything, if that even makes sense. My brain is so bombarded with artificial stuff it doesn't know whether it's coming or going.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    That really sucks. :console:
    Tiz OK, I don't mind too much. In any case, I'm not sure any of us will end up having arranged marriages, so maybe it won't matter in the end anyway!

(Original post by Cinnie)
    What a day.

Went to bed feeling deeply depressed and refusing my antipsychotic/mood stabiliser, woke up manic, had a visit from the acute MH team and compromised on half my meds, meds brought me down, and now I just feel exhausted.

And my diagnosis has changed from depression with psychosis to schizoaffective disorder (with bipolar / mixed type)

Feel like i've been hit by a truck but kinda feel like I could do anything, if that even makes sense. My brain is so bombarded with artificial stuff it doesn't know whether it's coming or going.
    All the cool kids have schizoaffective disorder :ninja:

Seriously though, huge hugs to you and do try and take your meds if at all possible (I know what a hypocrite I am, but it's important!

ReputationRep:
    The voices were a jumbled mess this morning, and now he is clearly talking to me as if we were just friends. I have been lying to my mum about the fact that they are still here because I want her to think I am getting better, I am in the sense that I know that they are not real people / only real to me and they are not usually instructing me to do dangerous things to myself but they are still there - especially him. abuse TW
    Spoiler:
    Show
    He's talking to me just like he did all those years ago - the word 'game' cuts me the most because it wasn't a game, it was abuse and I want to tell this to my 7 year old self. I want to tell her to leave and never go back, but i'm stuck in this nightmare of a memory and I can't get out, not even as an adult, not even when he's not really here.

ReputationRep:
    Tiz OK, I don't mind too much. In any case, I'm not sure any of us will end up having arranged marriages, so maybe it won't matter in the end anyway!
    I didn't know Sri Lankans had arranged marriages. :beard: Learn something new everyday. But yeah I can see why that might be problematic.

ReputationRep:
    My sleeps ****ed
    My eatings ****ed
    My brains ****ed
    My lifes ****ed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The voices were a jumbled mess this morning, and now he is clearly talking to me as if we were just friends. I have been lying to my mum about the fact that they are still here because I want her to think I am getting better, I am in the sense that I know that they are not real people / only real to me and they are not usually instructing me to do dangerous things to myself but they are still there - especially him. abuse TW
    Spoiler:
    Show
    He's talking to me just like he did all those years ago - the word 'game' cuts me the most because it wasn't a game, it was abuse and I want to tell this to my 7 year old self. I want to tell her to leave and never go back, but i'm stuck in this nightmare of a memory and I can't get out, not even as an adult, not even when he's not really here.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm the same way with the word game when it's used like that. I don't know how to get out of the nightmare either. I'm sorry, if you need someone to talk to, you can PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    mental health services are a ****ing shambles. am being left to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScaryScience)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    mental health services are a ****ing shambles. am being left to die.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Wanna talk about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Wanna talk about it?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    went to GP this morning so depressed I could barely move. suicidal thoughts intense etc. so she said she would call crisis team and get back to me. 11 hours later I am yet to hear from either my GP or the CT.. not sure if its CT being complete **** like they are always, or she just hasn't bothered calling them, which seems to the theme of everything with her. literally she was just like 'you should do your coursework to take your mind off it'... she is ****ing delusional if she thinks I am in any state and of correct mental clarity to do my coursework. its like im ****ing making this up or something. im sick of being treated like utter ****. we haven't booked another appointment and I never ever want to go back. 15 months ive been in this arduous circle of events, I have gotten NOWHERE. I am ****ing done with my life and with everyone cause I cant seem to get on with anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    went to GP this morning so depressed I could barely move. suicidal thoughts intense etc. so she said she would call crisis team and get back to me. 11 hours later I am yet to hear from either my GP or the CT.. not sure if its CT being complete **** like they are always, or she just hasn't bothered calling them, which seems to the theme of everything with her. literally she was just like 'you should do your coursework to take your mind off it'... she is ****ing delusional if she thinks I am in any state and of correct mental clarity to do my coursework. its like im ****ing making this up or something. im sick of being treated like utter ****. we haven't booked another appointment and I never ever want to go back. 15 months ive been in this arduous circle of events, I have gotten NOWHERE. I am ****ing done with my life and with everyone cause I cant seem to get on with anyone.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    They do seem pretty awful in terms of crisis care down your way. Back when I was doing really badly, one thing that finally helped me was to move in with my sister up in Scotland - the combination of having someone helping me take better care of myself and also the change of scenery/getting away from awful people really did help. Is there anything similar you could do? Close friends and family can be a real help (not always obviously, but sometimes), if there's anyone you feel able to turn to.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    TLG Update: This is very minor compared to what's happening with other people in the thread atm :erm: But here goes...

Am going to Oxford tomorrow and basically need people to send good vibes so that E doesn't appear anywhere where I am planning to be. It shouldn't happen but the voices are trying to convince me that it will and I'm scared

Spoiler:
    Show
    :jumphug: :jumphug:

I didn't know Sri Lankans had arranged marriages. :beard: Learn something new everyday. But yeah I can see why that might be problematic.
    Yeah, they're not really like most other South Asian arranged marriages. Basically the parents of the prospective partners facilitate some kinda introduction and then if the two young people like each other, they meet again, then again, keep meeting for a while, then get engaged, then get married after a year or two. It's quite civilised - basically like your friends setting you up on a blind date, but your parents doing it instead! There are pros and cons to it, as one might imagine...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Hugs for you too

:jumphug: :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    TLG Update: This is very minor compared to what's happening with other people in the thread atm :erm: But here goes...

Am going to Oxford tomorrow and basically need people to send good vibes so that E doesn't appear anywhere where I am planning to be. It shouldn't happen but the voices are trying to convince me that it will and I'm scared
    Sending all the good vibes! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.