Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sold on it now. Gonna be absolutely seething if the location isn't right.

ReputationRep:
    I've just completed the next stage part...should I receive some sort of email indicating that they've received everything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavin_1980)
    I am now coming to the end of the predecessor course to TSP, TPDP with my promotion to Grade 7 hopefully being signed off in July, but I was an internal applicant and have been in the department doing a number of different jobs over nearly 17 years now.

As a direct entrant, you can expect the start of the program to be slow as you will do core modules and only get involved with work at the most basic level, then it's bookkeeping training with the work side of things still taking a back seat. After a few months, you'll get your first cases which will compliment the training you are doing at that time. You'll have a lot of support for your cases from both experienced caseworkers and trainees from other years.

After two years training, you'll be streamed into a particular role to complete the last two years training which is specific to that role. You'll be expected to stay in that role for at least two years after the course finishes. The roles are dependant on business need and you will have conversations with your manager who will place you according to aptitude for the role. Personal preference can be taken into account, but business need and aptitude are the first considerations.

Most posts will have at least some form of investigation involved where appeals will go to tribunals and higher courts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that people get very different experiences depending upon their placement. Everybody on my team had at least one meeting by the end of their first two months, and most have completed 3-4 meetings within their first 6 months. We started with a basic income tax case, were given a second income tax case and have all also dealt with miscellaneous pieces of post, some of which have considered the tax liability of associations and clubs, or exemptions.

We were also all given a hidden economy case (someone not declaring their income) and a capital gains case. We are expected to read up on the guidance and various aspects of each tax we are dealing with but are always fully supported. This really keeps the job engaging as you're not only learning the more academic side of things through the exams but you will always be tested to learn and apply skills daily.

We also now each have at least three corporation tax cases on various areas, one of mine has a turnover over £10m, so you can progress fairly quickly and feel like you are really getting involved.

I appreciate not everyone will have this experience, but the opportunities are there for you to get involved in whatever you want really. A lot of the things trainees I know are doing are all self sourced. As the future leaders of HMRC we are encouraged to 'get out there' and meet people and learn about how different parts of the organisation function, and of course do so whilst making a positive contribution wherever that may be.

In terms of juggling the case work with the studying, I haven't had a problem but having done both accountancy and law I suppose I am in a fortunate position. It may reassure you to know that nobody I know of failed the first bookkeeping module in my year, and we are gearing up to our second exam and most people seem to be content with the material and the work.

In terms of prosecution style work - I know a few people who have been along to and expressed an interest in departments that deal with that and they certainly do have an interest in TSP candidates. As far as how easy it is to determine where you end up is perhaps something you can guide but not truly choose. My understanding is that you can request to stream into a certain head of tax, but you cannot be guaranteed to get it. If you show an interest and aptitude for it then I have been told that you are more likely to go there (for obvious business reasons).

I will say that you will experience many things when on the inside and don't get yourself into a mindset of knowing what you want to do - it will probably change as you see how each area works.

TB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unemployed)
    I've just completed the next stage part...should I receive some sort of email indicating that they've received everything?
    I don't recall getting anything.

TB

ReputationRep:
    No e-mail. Should be fairly clear on portal that it's done as no option for 'next stage' any more and message changes to:

"We'd like to make you a provisional job offer.

We're conducting some pre-employment checks before we make you a formal offer.

We'll contact you when we have finished these."

ReputationRep:
    I did get a confirmation email when I sent my health decleration form in, not the next stage bit on the portal though

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, has anybody heard of any stories where candidates have failed their pre-employment checks and why?

Hoping I haven't messed up any dates or something silly.

Also, does anyone know roughly how long pre-employment checks took last year/the years before?

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I have been accepted onto the TSP 2016 programme and I was just wondering upon completion of the programme, what is the equivalent external qualification that TSP offers in terms of Tax.

Does it qualify you as the same level Association of Taxation Technician (ATT) does or on a higher level that Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA) does?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Evening All,

Perhaps someone who is already on the TSP can enlighten me reagrding pay scales?

I see that the TSP starts on £27-£29K and hopefully ends with a promotion to Grade 7 and circa £50K, but what happens in the 4 years of the scheme?

Are you stuck on the entry salary for all four years or does it increase in line with succesful completion of exams etc?

If I'm succesful I just want to have an idea of what I am letting myself in for financially.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveLGW)
    Evening All,

Perhaps someone who is already on the TSP can enlighten me reagrding pay scales?

I see that the TSP starts on £27-£29K and hopefully ends with a promotion to Grade 7 and circa £50K, but what happens in the 4 years of the scheme?

Are you stuck on the entry salary for all four years or does it increase in line with succesful completion of exams etc?

If I'm succesful I just want to have an idea of what I am letting myself in for financially.

Thanks
    I read somewhere that it increases to 31k / 35k (London) after 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Evening,
    I dont currently work for the civil service but have received a provisional offer; does anyone know whether i will be able to transfer my current pension into the civil service pension scheme?
    Also with regards the Ba(hons) in taxation I'm assuming it will involve writing another dissertation. If so can anyone be so kind as to let me know how many thousand words. My last dissertation was 15,000 words and had i hoped not to write another one and just want to know what I'm letting myself in for.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately I have been declared successful this year. I am also one of the ones who has only put one preferred location while at the assessment centre as I've recently had my first child and relocating isn't really feasible. Does anyone on the course recall what locations were the most popular or do they know of the HMRC will be a bit more lenient with offering me a place in my location due to my circumstances?

What a nerve racking experience this has turned out to be! Literally got my little family on tender hooks while I'm also still at university so stressing over that as well!

ReputationRep:
    If they offer extra leniency because of a kid, I'll get the adoption papers sorted.

Think it's just a waiting game for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Haine)
    If they offer extra leniency because of a kid, I'll get the adoption papers sorted.
    This.

Goes completely against the merit system that has underlaid the entire process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiethered)
    This.

Goes completely against the merit system that has underlaid the entire process.
    Yeah fair play I suppose that would be massively unfair.

Is it just me or does the merit system that has underlaid the whole process not contradict how strict the host was at the assessment centre in ensuring that we only put locations that we would be happy to go to? I mean if I'm at the bottom of the 200 pile of successful applicants I'd rather have been told that.

It's like waiting on one late game on your 20 team accumulator for a life changing amount of money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NRTHBRIA CRAIG)
    Fortunately I have been declared successful this year. I am also one of the ones who has only put one preferred location while at the assessment centre as I've recently had my first child and relocating isn't really feasible. Does anyone on the course recall what locations were the most popular or do they know of the HMRC will be a bit more lenient with offering me a place in my location due to my circumstances?

What a nerve racking experience this has turned out to be! Literally got my little family on tender hooks while I'm also still at university so stressing over that as well!
    Hi, we sound quite similar.. I am also at university and have a small one so no relocation however I'm only on the reserve list. Anyways unfortunately no, it is strictly on merit however if you were unable to get the location you wanted (I'm guessing Newcastle from your name?) they should put you on a reserve list for a HO role. Knowing a locations popularity won't really help you as each location will have a differing amount of places available, for example I'd imagine London is the most popular location but it will probably have more places available. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I didn't realise there was a forum discussing this years TSP. I've gone through so much anxiety with the process and reading all the posts helps that I'm not the only one so thank you! Congrats to those who received and offer and "Chins up" to those who haven't and don't give up!

I have received a provisional offer but no mention of places. I have a few questions I hope you guys can help with (as the Facebook responses are non existent)

1. Location.
    At the centre, we were told that we had to put down locations we will be willing to work. If we do not secure these locations then we we will no be offered a position elsewhere. From the responses you guys have given, it seems that they have now gone back on this and is on complete merit. Which I find difficult to understand. If the top 10 all chose London and got London, what happens to 11 who chose London only. Does he/she now get a pick at all the others even though he/she did not choose? Seems very unfair and makes the location selection exercise pointless.

2. Which locations are popular? How many places in each location.
    I've gone on the assumption that each location has an equal spit of the 200?

3. DPS checks.
    Was there a separate form to fill in like the medical or was this part of the "next steps" section.

4. What were your locations?
    Mine where Birmingham, Nottingham, London Central, London Greater, Manchester & Liverpool. Bham and Notts is the only place I would want to work and only chose the others due to the fact the AC people said to pic or miss out!

5. Feedback?
    Anyone received any yet? Would like to know how well I did to try and guess where I rank.

Thanks Em

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NRTHBRIA CRAIG)
    Yeah fair play I suppose that would be massively unfair.

Is it just me or does the merit system that has underlaid the whole process not contradict how strict the host was at the assessment centre in ensuring that we only put locations that we would be happy to go to? I mean if I'm at the bottom of the 200 pile of successful applicants I'd rather have been told that.

It's like waiting on one late game on your 20 team accumulator for a life changing amount of money!
    If this is the case I guess we all deserve to know our rank when we receive our feedback. Ohhhh the agony.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I have been accepted onto the TSP 2016 programme and I was just wondering upon completion of the programme, what is the equivalent external qualification that TSP offers in terms of Tax.

Does it qualify you as the same level Association of Taxation Technician (ATT) does or on a higher level that Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA) does?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi

No you do not receive ATT or CTA qualifications but only a BA Hons degree in professional tax studies. I believe there is some sort of qualification with AAT (tax technicians)

I have also looked into this, I'm assuming if I just pay the member fees and do the exams I can be CTA qualified?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.