13.12%
    St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how much PBL is involved at Sheffield?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.sx)
    I think most people are applying to uni now in this chat, so we've all done out GCSEs, but I did triple science (got A*A*A) so if you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll try help if I can
    Really? Unfortunately, I'm taking the new exam specifications. Apparently, it's more difficult. What did you revise for? What came up in the exam that I would need to revise about and remember? Sorry if you don't remember. XD

And, your scores are amazing! I always forget everything during exams it's so hard to do an exam whilst being so worried and nervous. :/

ReputationRep:
    Firstly what exam board will you be doing? I recommend buying the official revision guides for that exam board (I did AQA and found the CGP books were the best - I still use them now sometimes) I revised just from text books as we didn't write very good notes in lessons. Secondly do LOTS of past papers that's the best way to revise and mark them yourself that way you learn the mark points. From what I remember you cover quite a lot of topics but nothing really in great detail; biology had a lot about cells plants and organ systems inhumans, chemistry about elements, groups, atoms and experiments and calculations. Physics just learn all the formulas as early as you can - my brother has just started yr10 an is doing triple science and already nows the majority of formulas, that way physics will seem a whole lot easier . And when it comes to exams im a nervous wreck! But have just learnt to use the nervous adrenaline to help me speed up and finish (I used to be really slow in exams), just remember at the end of the day you'll get good grades if you but the work in and even if you mess up everyone has a bad exam at some point, you can always resit hope this helps! If you have any other qu.s let me know
    P.s there's nothing like a bit of cramming revision if you really want something to stick in your head in the next day exam ;p

ReputationRep:
    Oh I forgot (if the long essay I wrote hasn't bored you to death yet) never panic if you don't finish an exam! I did AS psychology last year and in each of the 2 papers didn't do the 12 markers as I ran out of time, but I still got an A in both, read every question carefully and you'll pick up marks no problem!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyoneJust wondered if anyone knows if I can apply to the Kings 5 year course with my graduate degree rather than my school grades, as they're not that great. Ideally I'd like to apply to the 4 year course but I feel my UKCAT isn't high enough. I've got a 2.1 in medical sciences, ukcat 686 SJT band 1.

ReputationRep:
    Decided to apply to University of Leicester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selgomez11)
    Hi,
    If anyone could help that would be amazing! As you know the deadline is this weekend and I'm still unsure of my choices. My stats are 7 A*s and 5 As at GCSE, 4 As in AS and my predicted is 3 A*s. My UKCAT is not great at average 655. My personal statement is strong but it's not written incredibly well as I am not very good at writing. My choices so far are Liverpool and Birmingham. I have no idea what to pick for the other two. I would like to choose Kings or QMUL but I'm not sure if I have good enough UKCAT to get through. I was thinking Keele, but they want a separate form with volunteering roles and responsibilities form, I have worked in a primary school for a year and have worked in a charity shop for a year, but I only started volunteering in a care home since August- I'm not sure if I have enough volunteering hours for it. Leicester is another possibility but my score would be 41.5/48 and the cut off is unknown.
    There's also Bristol but they look into personal statement heavily. What do you guys think? Where should I apply and should I even apply to one of the London ones? If there's other universities that would work for my stats please let me know! Thank you.
    I recommend cardiff, as they don't consider UKCAT until after interview and if they're tying to decide between two people (which is unlikely to happen if you perform well at interview) also your GCSEs are good which cardiff like, so I think you'd have a really good chance there hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    How should I prepare for an interview? I'm quite shy and awkward. I can be confident when I want to be but I'm worried that other people's confidence on the day will put me off.
    Are the interviewers friendly? What is the atmosphere like on the day? Did you meet an applicant on the day and instantly thought that 'this person isn't getting in' just by the way they were acting? Like I know coming across as anxious can pretty much ruin your chances of getting in. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    If anyone could help that would be amazing! As you know the deadline is this weekend and I'm still unsure of my choices. My stats are 7 A*s and 5 As at GCSE, 4 As in AS and my predicted is 3 A*s. My UKCAT is not great at average 655. My personal statement is strong but it's not written incredibly well as I am not very good at writing. My choices so far are Liverpool and Birmingham. I have no idea what to pick for the other two. I would like to choose Kings or QMUL but I'm not sure if I have good enough UKCAT to get through. I was thinking Keele, but they want a separate form with volunteering roles and responsibilities form, I have worked in a primary school for a year and have worked in a charity shop for a year, but I only started volunteering in a care home since August- I'm not sure if I have enough volunteering hours for it. Leicester is another possibility but my score would be 41.5/48 and the cut off is unknown.
    There's also Bristol but they look into personal statement heavily. What do you guys think? Where should I apply and should I even apply to one of the London ones? If there's other universities that would work for my stats please let me know! Thank you.
    QMUL is 50:50 Ucas Tariff and UKCAT, so if you have high predictions/EPQ/music awards it would be good for you. Kings look at everything so if your strong overall it would a solid option. Have you thought about UEA? They combine UKCAT and GCSE's so you'd have good shot. Also St Georges had a UKCAT cut off of 650 so you would have got an interview last year, although its risky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    QMUL is 50:50 Ucas Tariff and UKCAT, so if you have high predictions/EPQ/music awards it would be good for you. Kings look at everything so if your strong overall it would a solid option. Have you thought about UEA? They combine UKCAT and GCSE's so you'd have good shot. Also St Georges had a UKCAT cut off of 650 so you would have got an interview last year, although its risky
    Thank you for replying. I'm finding it hard to judge my stats and see if it's strong overall. I don't think QMUL would work because I don't do any extra Music awards or EPQs. I will definitely check out UEA. St George's is such a difficult uni to choose, there's not much information online to see what the average offer holder got for their UKCAT.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Have you thought about UEA? They combine UKCAT and GCSE's so you'd have good shot.
    That's correct, pre-interview we look at two thirds academic grades and one third UKCAT score

I will definitely check out UEA.
    Please let us know if we can assist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.sx)
    Firstly what exam board will you be doing? I recommend buying the official revision guides for that exam board (I did AQA and found the CGP books were the best - I still use them now sometimes) I revised just from text books as we didn't write very good notes in lessons. Secondly do LOTS of past papers that's the best way to revise and mark them yourself that way you learn the mark points. From what I remember you cover quite a lot of topics but nothing really in great detail; biology had a lot about cells plants and organ systems inhumans, chemistry about elements, groups, atoms and experiments and calculations. Physics just learn all the formulas as early as you can - my brother has just started yr10 an is doing triple science and already nows the majority of formulas, that way physics will seem a whole lot easier . And when it comes to exams im a nervous wreck! But have just learnt to use the nervous adrenaline to help me speed up and finish (I used to be really slow in exams), just remember at the end of the day you'll get good grades if you but the work in and even if you mess up everyone has a bad exam at some point, you can always resit hope this helps! If you have any other qu.s let me know
    P.s there's nothing like a bit of cramming revision if you really want something to stick in your head in the next day exam ;p
    Thank you, I think I'm also taking AQA exams. How did your brother learn the formulas? I wish him good luck. You made me feel a little better.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Leicester your score is 42.5. That will likely be more than enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetstars)
    Thank you, I think I'm also taking AQA exams. How did your brother learn the formulas? I wish him good luck. You made me feel a little better.
    Just write the formulas out on revision cards and read, hide, then say them outloud without looking multiple times, then get someone to test you over and over. I had a look at the new spec cgp guides and it looks like a mix of old spec and 2016 AQA AS level topics but not in as much detail. Hope that helps you figure out what topics you'll come across and any topics you struggle with let me know (apart from physics it's been a while) I'll try to help

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would like some advice please

I am on a second gap year A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths, A at AS Further Maths (on my gap year I done A2 further maths and got an A*, i know this does not count).
    723 UKCAT7A*s and 4 A's GCSE
    Work Experience at Hospital, GP Surgery, Pharmacy, Tanzanian Hospital, Care Home, I tutor GCSE Student and Coach Martial Arts

Last year I got rejected with 685 Band 3 from Kings(interview) Queen Mary(interview) SGUL(interview) Notts(no interview)

Is it worth while to reapply to kings. i'm planning to apply to Leicester and Manchester. Not sure about the 4th, Glasgow, keele, uea, exeter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mj14097)
    Hi, I would like some advice please

I am on a second gap year A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths, A at AS Further Maths (on my gap year I done A2 further maths and got an A*, i know this does not count).
    723 UKCAT7A*s and 4 A's GCSE
    Work Experience at Hospital, GP Surgery, Pharmacy, Tanzanian Hospital, Care Home, I tutor GCSE Student and Coach Martial Arts

Last year I got rejected with 685 Band 3 from Kings(interview) Queen Mary(interview) SGUL(interview) Notts(no interview)

Is it worth while to reapply to kings. i'm planning to apply to Leicester and Manchester. Not sure about the 4th, Glasgow, keele, uea, exeter?
    I know Exeter you would be guaranteed an interview! And if you have lots of voluntary hours then you'd also be perfect for Keele! You have amazing grades well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    I know Exeter you would be guaranteed an interview! And if you have lots of voluntary hours then you'd also be perfect for Keele! You have amazing grades well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank yoouuu for the advice. appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leontia123)
    I have posted in this 4 times without any help and I am getting stressed
    Got my ukcat score back and it was pretty bad with 1730 and band 2…
    GCSEs 3A*'s 4.5 A's 2 B's (highest achiever as secondary school)
    AS AABB maths bio chem history
    Predicted A2 AAA
    I was just wondering do I even have a chance? Would I be wasting my ucas options by applying?

Don't take a gap year out, just apply to unis with a foundation course and you will get Atleast an interview.

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE:
    Ended up applying to University of Birmingham, University of Liverpool, University of Leicester and St George's London (my risky choice).
    These choices are ones that I wouldn't have ever chosen in year 12 lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.