Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get to watch the match unfortunately but delighted with the outcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Just think strengthening your batting is more important than finding another bowling option. Of course an all-rounder would be a bonus, but if your 6 best batsmen don't include someone who can bowl then I wouldn't force anyone in. And Shah plus 3 seamers will be enough to take 20 wickets more often than not.

The danger of batting so deep is that no one takes responsibility. We have loads of people who can chip in with quick 40s (probably going to have Woakes at 9 at Old Trafford), but unless our best players score big centuries we won't score the big 400+ totals that bat sides out of matches. Agree on series assessment, I said 2-1 or 3-1 England before the series and I'll stick with that for now.

Soz bbz.
    Our batting is brittle no doubt, and agree with you in theory but the truth is we don't have anybody ready to come in of the requisite quality. We rely heavily on Misbah and Younus, and that won't change until they're gone. Wouldn't force anyone in but Hafeez could be replaced with someone, Azhar basically opens the batting anyway.

I'd say match winners exist for the 4th innings, and I agree that's where England can struggle as shown. You've got 2 match winners coming back into the team next test (HUGE fan of Stokes personally). It's a conundrum for your South Africa's and your Aussie's, but the middle order is fine against Pakistan.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The other danger in this current England side is that they've spent two years being lauded for playing attacking, free-flowing and swashbuckling cricket.

It's hard for players like Hales and Root to display patience, sit in and ground out runs in a way which frustrates the opposition when they are being drilled to be fearless in their attack.*

ReputationRep:
    Yasir Shah has displaced James Anderson from the no. 1 spot in the ICC rankings for Test bowlers.

He is the first legspinner since Shane Warne in 2005 to be ranked no. 1, and the first Pakistan bowler since Mushtaq Ahmed in December 1996.

Yasir's rise to the top came as a result of his performance in the first Test against England at Lord's, where he took 10 for 141 to bowl Pakistan to a 75-run victory.

ICC Test rankings:

Bowlers: 1 Yasir Shah, 2 R Ashwin, 3 James Anderson, 4 Stuart Broad, 5 Dale Steyn, 6 Ravindra Jadeja, 7 Trent Boult, 8 Josh Hazlewood, 9 Morne Morkel, 10 Vernon Philander*

Batsmen: 1 Steven Smith, 2 Kane Williamson, 3 Hashim Amla, 4 Joe Root, 5 AB de Villiers, 6 Adam Voges, 7 Younis Khan, 8 David Warner, 9 Misbah-ul-Haq, 10 Angelo Mathews

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Pakistan win and celebration gave me goosebumps! A few more press ups for me!
    For Pakistan I would drop Hafeez for Sami Aslam and maybe Wahab for Imran Khan.
    For England Finn has to go for Anderson, Ball bowled well. Also Moeen Ali (or another middle order batsmen) for Stokes.
    Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Fitting to see Aamir take the final wicket
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1468844779.471216.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  129.3 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1468844798.633868.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  90.2 KB

His face says it all- Passion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Shah becomes world's number one ranked Test bowler.

ReputationRep:
    Legspin > english batting
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Being a leggie myself, watching proper legspin.... :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an idea of how the other wickets in this series will behave? More spin friendly? Seamer friendly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    Does anyone have an idea of how the other wickets in this series will behave? More spin friendly? Seamer friendly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haven't been to any of these grounds in any way regularly, but going off reputations:

Old Trafford has traditionally been seen as a bit of a road, but they rotated the wicket 90 degrees a couple of years back and the theory is that it spins more now. Part of the reason why Rashid is in the England squad.

Edgbaston is quite slow but if it's overcast then it'll swing round corners. I reckon it has a reputation for variable bounce later on but I might be making that up. England have a good record here.

The Oval is the most Australian style wicket, with more pace and bounce than most English grounds. Generally a very good batting track. If a test is a draw for non-weather reasons it'll probably be here, although it seems unlikely with each sides dodgy batting and good bowling.

Would be disappointed if any of the three suit Pakistan as much as Lord's did. Hosting an Asian side and it's a slow, low, lifeless pitch. FFS England. May as well go all out and produce a dustbowl.

ReputationRep:
    With a heatwave predicted, Yasir will be licking his lips at what looks likely to be a dry, cracked Old Trafford pitch. Rashid should come in for Moeen.

ReputationRep:
    A number of worries for England but none more so worrying than the rapid decline in the form of Joe Root. Having had a flying start to his career, he has scored only 1 century in his past 30 innings. His inability to convert middling scores to 100's suggest a flaw in mentality more so than a technical flaw, as does his methods of dismissal in his last few innings. His dismissals in the Lord's test must have been particularly worrying as they showed a lack of patience and application, something he can ill afford considering he has now been promoted to number 3 and is considered the best batsmen in the side.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mike Selvey - one of the best cricket writers around - is leaving the Guardian, who feel they no longer need his services. A real shame. The sport needs top class coverage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Haven't been to any of these grounds in any way regularly, but going off reputations:

Old Trafford has traditionally been seen as a bit of a road, but they rotated the wicket 90 degrees a couple of years back and the theory is that it spins more now. Part of the reason why Rashid is in the England squad.

Edgbaston is quite slow but if it's overcast then it'll swing round corners. I reckon it has a reputation for variable bounce later on but I might be making that up. England have a good record here.

The Oval is the most Australian style wicket, with more pace and bounce than most English grounds. Generally a very good batting track. If a test is a draw for non-weather reasons it'll probably be here, although it seems unlikely with each sides dodgy batting and good bowling.

Would be disappointed if any of the three suit Pakistan as much as Lord's did. Hosting an Asian side and it's a slow, low, lifeless pitch. FFS England. May as well go all out and produce a dustbowl.
    Thanks mate, just want the rest of the series to produce good quality tests like Lords did and hopefully results in all three remaining games.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Remember Edgbaston is Woakes' home ground too. He's clearly loving life right now, and you imagine he'll thrive in front of the Hollies Stand with the crowd firmly on side. He needs to go nowhere. His selection is unquestionable. Who'd have thought I'd be saying that two months ago?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else not convinced that Hales is a test match opener? For me, he just doesn't have the technique.

I'd be tempted to go with Moeen at OT, if it spins and providing Pakistan go with the 3 left arm seamers then he'll have a lot of rough to work with.

At the moment, I can only see Pakistan going 2-0 up.

ReputationRep:
    Yh Hales should stick to Odi and T20s
    Test is really pushing it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hales is worth persisting with - for now.

Granted, he needs a big hundred soon though. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water - Hales managed scores of 86 and 83 against SL, and he only batted three times throughout that series.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If it's going to turn put Rashid in, a leggie bowling into the rough :sexface:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Plenty of cricket to look forward to. You've got Pakistan in England throughout the summer, alongside Australia and SL's series, and India vs. the Windies.

Oh, and NZ vs Zimbabwe to boot.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 20, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.