Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I still think we need to make a complaint to aqa even if nothing comes of it they need to know how badly they have messed us up. Someone was saying before theres no point doing that because we ALL had to sit the paper and we all answered the same questions. But the format & wording was completely different to anything we've ever seen before. The final question needed atleast 15 minutes to figure out which is way too much for a 9 marker. Terms used which we are not familiar with but were vital to understand so we could answer the question. TIMING was waay off, it took me 2-3 minutes to answer some of the one markers. There were questions that we spent days going over in class and practising but were replaced by stupid 1 markers about isotopes and percentage by mass. The list goes on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahsan_ijaz)
    15 marks dropped is an A* like seriously - that's the highest grade you can get so be happy and positive

Posted from TSR Mobile
    mate Im getting a D ... I didn't do 25 mark of questions, lets say i lost 10 marks Min, since i did rush Q 7 + some of 8. I could get a C , lets say i lost 20 marks, which i mostly do, in a whole exam, i would get a D. Im not overlay sad/pissed , just annoyed at myself for wasting so much time, and not using my time well enough to do the whole paper . I gave long winded answers, thinking im not losing marks for anything, I looked over everything, even though i knew it was right ( the equations ) ... and i wasted time drawing stuff, that needed need to be drawn.. i mean what was i thinking. Either way I'm ready for unit 5, i Knew it well enough at the EMPA+ISA and ive gotten A's all year round on Unit 5 Mocks, All i need to do is revise my knowledge and remember the ligand colours + reactions. im just worried ill flop unit 5 somehow, and end up with a D for A-level , i was aiming for an A overall in Chem and that just not possible now, If i do okay in Unit 5, ll get a C/Low B, if i do well, ill get a B. Either way such a shame for all the effort i put into chem unit 4....

(Original post by FormlessBowl)
    30 ish marks lost given that everyone thinks it was the worst paper ever could be well into a B grade maybe even a Low A if youre lucky - so you can salvage it to an A* or an A.

The grade boundaries are likely to be their lowest ever since it was the hardest ever paper - try not to worry too much it was a ridiculous paper and everyone found it shocking
    not to sound like a **** head but grade boundries dont change too much and there no chance i could get a B .. ill be very very lucky to get a C . Im not too bummed about it though; it was my mistakes that make be fail really . Ill just work harder for BIO and unit 5 chem .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    But didn't it ask why the stitches with the polar bonds were better?
    Yes, same reasoning applies, polar regions mean bacterial enzymes can act Upton them and digest them into smaller parts, so the stitches, once healed the wound, disintegrate themselves sort of

ReputationRep:
    The unofficial markscheme is coming together slowly. Vote in the poll!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4164897&page=3

ReputationRep:
    Can someone make a Facebook page. It's unfair because we haven't had the opportunity to practice that many application questions. If you want to test us on that then put it in past papers or resources online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    mate Im getting a D ... I didn't do 25 mark of questions, lets say i lost 10 marks Min, since i did rush Q 7 + some of 8. I could get a C , lets say i lost 20 marks, which i mostly do, in a whole exam, i would get a D. Im not overlay
    sad/pissed , just annoyed at myself for wasting so much time, and not using my time well enough to do the whole paper . I gave long winded answers, thinking im not losing marks for anything, I looked over everything, even though i knew it was right ( the equations ) ... and i wasted time drawing stuff, that needed need to be drawn.. i mean what was i thinking. Either way I'm ready for unit 5, i Knew it well enough at the EMPA+ISA and ive gotten A's all year round on Unit 5 Mocks, All i need to do is revise my knowledge and remember the ligand colours + reactions. im just worried ill flop unit 5 somehow, and end up with a D for A-level , i was aiming for an A overall in Chem and that just not possible now, If i do okay in Unit 5, ll get a C/Low B, if i do well, ill get a B. Either way such a shame for all the effort i put into chem unit 4....

not to sound like a **** head but grade boundries dont change too much and there no chance i could get a B .. ill be very very lucky to get a C . Im not too bummed about it though; it was my mistakes that make be fail really . Ill just work harder for BIO and unit 5 chem .
    Let's start a petition or a group and get everyone who did this exam to join and support. Besides, the majority of the questions were short 1 mark and 2 mark answers but took too long to answer to be considered 1/2 marks, they deliberately made up waste time which is not fair, do not feel annoyed at yourself, no one wastes time, you went at your pace, no matter what pace you go at, no one loses 25 marks unless the paper was made to waste time. You should be angry at aqa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljm1998)
    Yes, same reasoning applies, polar regions mean bacterial enzymes can act Upton them and digest them into smaller parts, so the stitches, once healed the wound, disintegrate themselves sort of
    Oh cool thank you! That's what I put!

ReputationRep:
    what would 70/100 be approximately?

ReputationRep:
    yeah there is 0 change i could get an A* or even an A. . A* might be too much, but 3 hours and i could getan A easy.
    This sounds stupid and arrogant i know ; Im not some really smart person, just average really; but i mean i was honestly really ready for this exam, i understood every topic really well, did all past papers, and some from my school. I could answer every one, all the equations were easy, and what i found hard was the N.M.R questions where you have to draw the molecule, but i revise for it a lot, did every single past paper Q and after doing 2 , it clicked and i could do it . I honestly cant stress how ready i was for this exam, i knew how everything was made, the condition, reagents, I knew all the Buffer,Acid,Equal, question by heart, i havent failed a single one of those Q's. The kinetic my good, thats easy. In the exam it took me no time to do it . I honestly pissed, since this is the first time in my life, i went full on revision on an exam and was really ready for it, but i just flopped it so bad .. last year with last min revision i did better . I really wanted a A/ B min , and i put all the effort into it. Revised well before the exam, did every past paper, incase there a few werid Q's, did all teh work my teacher gave and got as much help as he would offer ..... I was ready for this and when i saw the exam, it looked easy enough, though some easy Q's from past paper werent there, E.G: water PH , Buffers .. where the **** were the 2 4/5 mark buffer Q's ? .. even then i wasn't really having any difficulty with the exam .. i just ran out of time, which is 100% my fault .. but this is the first exam ive done, where i ran out of time, usually i finish 10 mins early or more.
    Same here...I was so ready for this and I feel like this was just a massive fail..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    I put silver nitrate in aqueous solution. Forming white ppt for the halo alkane and nothing for the acyl one.
    i also thought that but both had CL in it so its not right

ReputationRep:
    Why was iodine not in the rate equation? Is it because it was in excess or because it was not in the rate determining step?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joxnna_)
    nitrogen atom b had more alkyl groups (inductve effect etc) but a had an N-H bond, making that part of the molecule more soluble therefore more likely to react... right?? urgh, worst paper ever
    Damn it, I didn't look at it properly. Just went straight into a rote explanation of how the lone pair is delocalised into the benzene ring....The N wasn't even connected to the benzene though was it ;(

ReputationRep:
    is the fragment ion same structure as the electrophile?

ReputationRep:
    mate Im getting a D ... I didn't do 25 mark of questions, lets say i lost 10 marks Min, since i did rush Q 7 + some of 8. I could get a C , lets say i lost 20 marks, which i mostly do, in a whole exam, i would get a D. Im not overlay
    sad/pissed , just annoyed at myself for wasting so much time, and not using my time well enough to do the whole paper . I gave long winded answers, thinking im not losing marks for anything, I looked over everything, even though i knew it was right ( the equations ) ... and i wasted time drawing stuff, that needed need to be drawn.. i mean what was i thinking. Either way I'm ready for unit 5, i Knew it well enough at the EMPA+ISA and ive gotten A's all year round on Unit 5 Mocks, All i need to do is revise my knowledge and remember the ligand colours + reactions. im just worried ill flop unit 5 somehow, and end up with a D for A-level , i was aiming for an A overall in Chem and that just not possible now, If i do okay in Unit 5, ll get a C/Low B, if i do well, ill get a B. Either way such a shame for all the effort i put into chem unit 4....

Depending on what you got in AS you may have only needed the C boundary at A2 overall to get an A, I would definitely say an A is still possible.

The grade boundaries for an A* in this paper have varied by 8 marks, ranging from 91(I think) to 83, this is quite a lot, the 83 paper was nowhere near as hard as this either. The grade boundaries will move

ReputationRep:
    Guys what did everyone draw for the acetal formation? And why was lidocaine hydrogen chloride better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishabennett)
    Literally same
    Exactly the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no-1)
    Damn it, I didn't look at it properly. Just went straight into a rote explanation of how the lone pair is delocalised into the benzene ring....The N wasn't even connected to the benzene though was it ;(
    No, thats right, it was C6H5NH-R, so it would be delocalised. Also, the other nitrogen would have the positive inductive effect from the 3 carbon chains around it

ReputationRep:
    This went absolutely terrible. Potentially ruined my chances of getting a B at A Level Chemistry. The questions were way off spec and were completely different to any other past paper. If chem5 is also like this then I think my chances at getting a good grade at chem will be gone as will my university offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Engineerrookie)
    And why was lidocaine hydrogen chloride better?
    I put because it was soluble but wasnt sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobodyCares)
    No, thats right, it was C6H5NH-R, so it would be delocalised. Also, the other nitrogen would have the positive inductive effect from the 3 carbon chains around it
    You have put my heart at ease, friend. Thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.