Summer 2017 Applications

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKRP)
    I just filled out the Barclays SUmmer internship research things. There were no questions at all + no option to upload CV or cover letter... surely this cannot be right?
    So what do they ask then if they ask nothing? They literally are just going to go by how you perform on this weird test - what is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    So what do they ask then if they ask nothing? They literally are just going to go by how you perform on this weird test - what is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just loads of that generic stuff, like where I live, what university, and a bunch of boxes to tick, the usual disability sutff and done.

Well, I have been invited to the Business Insight "Stage 1" which will take 50 minutes (untimed), so I think there will be a load of more questions.... really weird process so far

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're basically going CV blind until the 2nd round of interviews.

But it now goes:
    Questions
    Business challenge pt 1
    Business challenge pt 2
    First round interview
    (CV gets asked for)
    Second round interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Barclays New recruitment stages can be found here
    http://joinus.barclays.com/emea/appl...and-selection/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    They're basically going CV blind until the 2nd round of interviews.

But it now goes:
    Questions
    Business challenge pt 1
    Business challenge pt 2
    First round interview
    (CV gets asked for)
    Second round interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where does the assessment centre fit in or have they got rid of that as well? Last year it was telephone interview > assessment centre.

What happens in the first round interview if they don't even know your profile? Does this apply to graduates as well?

Is the business challenge basically a situational judgement test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where does the assessment centre fit in or have they got rid of that as well? Last year it was telephone interview > assessment centre.

What happens in the first round interview if they don't even know your profile? Does this apply to graduates as well?

Is the business challenge basically a situational judgement test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Second round is kind of like an AC.

Well, I'd assume they would just ask the same competency questions as they normally would, if you think about it you don't actually need to know someone's profile in order to interview them on competency questions.

Yeah, kind of like a beefed up SJT but with more bells and whistles.

This is the new process for all graduate/undergraduate programmes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Man this new process is an absolute pain

ReputationRep:

Well, I'd assume they would just ask the same competency questions as they normally would, if you think about it you don't actually need to know someone's profile in order to interview them on competency questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you know if the second round will still have three interviews in it then?

Last year, it was a case study you'd present as a group to two bankers followed by three back-to-back interviews.

Or is the AC going to be experimental with weird stuff too?

If final year, would you apply to graduate or summer in this instance? I'm really torn with what to do for Barclays. I got to final round last year for summer but no offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pman. Hypothetically if you were a final year, would you apply for off-cycle or summer internship at Barclays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKRP)
    Just loads of that generic stuff, like where I live, what university, and a bunch of boxes to tick, the usual disability sutff and done.

Well, I have been invited to the Business Insight "Stage 1" which will take 50 minutes (untimed), so I think there will be a load of more questions.... really weird process so far
    What's the deadline to complete the 1st stage?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if the second round will still have three interviews in it then?

Last year, it was a case study you'd present as a group to two bankers followed by three back-to-back interviews.

Or is the AC going to be experimental with weird stuff too?

If final year, would you apply to graduate or summer in this instance? I'm really torn with what to do for Barclays. I got to final round last year for summer but no offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No idea on the specifics, but from what I've heard there is a task you have to perform and a further set of interviews.

I would probably go for summer or off-cycle, conversion rates have been pretty bad this year - so not sure if they'll be looking to hire more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexjones1994)
    Pman. Hypothetically if you were a final year, would you apply for off-cycle or summer internship at Barclays?
    Probably off-cycle, but it depends on your own schedule tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olly_price)
    I can't figure out if you're joking or not.
    You'll go far

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have knowledge about Barclays off-cycles in IBD? spots open etc. Is it more competitive to get than summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sky-blue)
    What's the deadline to complete the 1st stage?
    The email i just got says 5 working days

ReputationRep:
    Are Barclays even hiring any IBD graduates in London? I can only find European locations...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So, have barclays completley got rid of their online numerical tests? I assume it wouldn't be involved in their business insight stage 1 or 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AenigmaFx)
    So, have barclays completley got rid of their online numerical tests? I assume it wouldn't be involved in their business insight stage 1 or 2?
    I don't think they had them in the first place bud. I wouldn't rule it out from being involved in their business insight stages though. Look at the skills they are looking for here: 'Numerical Interpreter' and 'Critical Analyst' so they could be hint bombs but I seriously doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexjones1994)
    I don't think they had them in the first place bud. I wouldn't rule it out from being involved in their business insight stages though. Look at the skills they are looking for here: 'Numerical Interpreter' and 'Critical Analyst' so they could be hint bombs but I seriously doubt it.

Ah well fair enough. Yeah you're right. The first one isn't timed, so in the case it comes up in that, it shouldn't be a problem. However it doesn't say anything about it being timed or not in the second one. Worse comes to worst it is timed. But yeah, how they explained it, it looks like a vamped up SJT

ReputationRep:
    Barclays test is a bloody joke it just goes on and on and on and on and on. Literally had to get snacks to keep me going after an hour...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.