University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Are you guys talking about the (optional) additional personal statement in your SAQs?

I remember someone posting ages ago that their (DoS?) read out everyones' personal statements for a laugh. :hide:
    Am I the only one who didn't bother with writing an additional PS for my SAQ? I literally only filled in what was compulsory...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    It is a tradition at last dinner of DoS/fellows/final year students before graduation day at some colleges.
    They read out the graduates' PS when they applied.
    At my daughter's, they turned it into a game and DoS read PS without the author's name and everybody guess who wrote it, and the author pretend it's not them.
    Do they read out the UCAS PS or the SAQ ones? Because I didn't do a SAQ PS, so I'm hoping very much that's the one which gets read out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Do they read out the UCAS PS or the SAQ ones? Because I didn't do a SAQ PS, so I'm hoping very much that's the one which gets read out!
    It was PS at her college.
    I'd think it'd be the same for most colleges because some applicants leave SAQ blank.

ReputationRep:
    It was PS at her college.
    I'd think it'd be the same for most colleges because some applicants leave SAQ blank.
    Oh dear... Well, hopefully everyone's will be equally cringey

ReputationRep:
    It worked, tho.
    lol luckily!

My PS was rubbish, but I'm not embarrassed by it.

ReputationRep:
    Who is going to the Welcome to Cambridge event in London on Wednesday?

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who didn't bother with writing an additional PS for my SAQ? I literally only filled in what was compulsory...
    I didn't, and I doubt many mathmos did. Even the UCAS personal statement seemed superfluous.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't fill it in either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    What have you been set this year?
    There’s the NatSci maths booklet with some pretty wide ranging questions and a three part pre-arrival CompSci course which goes over the fundamentals of CompSci, a short bit about setting up ML, and a longer set of articles on Java. There’s also some bits of reading to do.

It probably seems worse given I’ve been trying to do it whilst away on holiday though!

It worked, tho.
    thankfully! It's actually a useful thing for NatScis because it allows us to talk about the NatSci course, while personal statements are usually specific to one science for the other unis applied to :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I didn't, and I doubt many mathmos did. Even the UCAS personal statement seemed superfluous.
    I wrote something like, I hope you give me a chance or some **** hahahah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Be aware, there's a scam email doing the rounds:

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/new...students-may16

The email purports to have come from your university Finance Department offering a scholarship or bursary to trick the recipient into clicking on a link contained in the message to provide personal and banking details.

Anyone received it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Be aware, there's a scam email doing the rounds:

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/new...students-may16

The email purports to have come from your university Finance Department offering a scholarship or bursary to trick the recipient into clicking on a link contained in the message to provide personal and banking details.

Anyone received it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank god no, i wudve entered it straight away.
    On the note of this.
    I pay for icloud(like 80p a month, crazy rite) and i got 3-4 emails from 'apple' saying ive bought various things which I havent like Adele 25, knowing that you haven't they get u to type your details in to 'refund' the money luckily I spotted it was a scam due to not having my ID etc on the email or order code and that.
    Watch out for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I like Adele 25,
    It's ok we won't tell your homies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank god no, i wudve entered it straight away.
    On the note of this.
    I pay for icloud(like 80p a month, crazy rite) and i got 3-4 emails from 'apple' saying ive bought various things which I havent like Adele 25, knowing that you haven't they get u to type your details in to 'refund' the money luckily I spotted it was a scam due to not having my ID etc on the email or order code and that.
    Watch out for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same with mysterious Paypal emails that tell me I've transferred £250 to someone. I don't even have that money 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    Same with mysterious Paypal emails that tell me I've transferred £250 to someone. I don't even have that money 😂
    Yeah I get that sometimes :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's ok we won't tell your homies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was that a street slang and homerton joke all at once lol

ReputationRep:
    Was that a street slang and homerton joke all at once lol
    :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    In other news: if anyone is called Graham (surname) you might regret not going to Glasgow University.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/t4/internationa...olarship_ID=58

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.