Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Had a mad moment when writting my personal statement, and i've now commited myself to doing an EPQ on ancient egypt..
    the problem is that i know thats a vague topic, so does anyone have any ideas of how I could narrow it down and what could I do?! I know i should think of it myself but I just can't think what would work? Its the first year my sixth form have done it aswell, so theres no advise or experience to help me get a feel for what kind of thing to do?

what form shall i do it in? and on what to do with Ancient Egypt?

ReputationRep:
    i could moan about how you shouldnt lie on your ps, but its done now so i'll leave it :/

anywayy, there are some examples on the aqa website which might give you some ideas maybe. i think you've chosen a really good topic though! i went to egypt a few weeks ago and there is so much you could write about..

what about something like how the lives and traditions and stuff of ancient egypt have effected modern day life in egypt?
    or something about burying rituals? maybe about poorer citizens who didnt necessarily get those fancy tombs?

The influence of Ancient Egypt on metal

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering to anybody who is doing the extended project, has your tutor written it in your reference with your predicted grades?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it goes on your ucas in a separate place to reference. It should be in the qualification section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toni42)
    Yeah it goes on your ucas in a separate place to reference. It should be in the qualification section
    I want to know does it go on your reference because it does count as an AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdoovde1)
    I want to know does it go on your reference because it does count as an AS
    Yes it does because they have to give you predicted grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie_jca)
    I'm thinking of doing the EP at the end of year 12. I want to do something related to Politics, i'm doing G+P AS. What type of things could be focused on? Would a particular election (something like "Why did Labour win in 1997 (or 1945 or something")) be alright? The campaign could be covered, the events which drove the country against Major's Conservatives, 'New' Labour etcetc. Is that to close to the AS course?

Maybe something to do with the politics of another country...
    I was going to do something like this (although I've 100% changed my direction for the EPQ now) but the advice I got from my teachers is to choose a topic that you do not go into much depth on in the AS so as to show your abilty to do independent research. So perhaps you should consider something that has taken your interest but isn't explained in depth in the textbook?

ReputationRep:
    So, I chose to pursue the EPQ (Extended Project Qualification), and really yearn to do something in the compass of Aesthetics (Philosophy of Art). Nevertheless, I really need an idea for a specific title.
    I did think, 'What is the value of art?'. I study Philosophy A-level, and this unit isn't offered in our course; it's something that highly interests me.

So, any ideas for titles, or feedback on my one idea?

Thanks,

Joey .

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of EPQ but how about something like "Can the common man truly appreciate art?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopylou7)
    I am doing this for the january deadlineine and have not even started :/ do you reckon I could get it done in a weekend? I am doing a 5,000 word dissertation, I have the books and roughly know what I am talking about (I hope) :P!

How long did it take you??
    I hae same deadline and also have to do 5000 word dissertation. I have so far filled a massive file with notes and I am a 1/4 of the way through dissertation at my school I have done the least . If I were you I wouldn't leave it to do in a weekend as I have so far spent soooo many man hours on it so do as much as you can
    Sorry to scare you but be realistic its equivalent to an entire AS

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of the title 'The greatest unsolved mathematical problems, past and present'. It means I can go into detail about a plethora of maths problems solved and unsolved.

ReputationRep:
    Hi does "How have cars changed through time" a good essay title, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Needs to be a bit more focussed ie. What type of cars? 'Cars' is a VERY big topic ... Also, what period of time? Choose a particular time period, not just the entire history of cars. And maybe choose a certain element of cars so that you can go into alot of detail and analysis instead of just description - if you have only one or two factors that you are looking at then you will be able to go into all the whys and wherefores of how cars have changed

So an example might be :

How has the use of (some kind of car feature) in car manufacture changed since (date)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for the reply would a title such as:
    "How has vehicle safety in car manufacturing changed since 1900"
    be any better?
    Because that way I could talk about things like airbags, seatbelt e.t.c.

ReputationRep:
    My extended project is due next week, I've done the presentation and finished my actual project, just collecting together everything in time for submission on monday.
    I'm having trouble writing my evaluation, does anyone know how long it should be/how to structure it? I'm doing the OCR course.
    Thanks if anyone does!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing OCR extended project.
    I have some ideas, I just wondered whether you guys could help me decide
    which one is a good one to go for.

How do the characters of 'His Dark Materials' develop as the story progresses?

What influences did Phillip Pullman use to create the worlds of 'His Dark Materials'?

How is heroism presented in Children's literature?

If you think I could improve on one, or have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitroadam)
    Hi thanks for the reply would a title such as:
    "How has vehicle safety in car manufacturing changed since 1900"
    be any better?
    Because that way I could talk about things like airbags, seatbelt e.t.c.
    Yup, that sounds good!

(Original post by beeizzle)
    I'm having trouble writing my evaluation, does anyone know how long it should be/how to structure it? I'm doing the OCR course.
    I think you have to say where you did well, where you did badly, what you gained personally from the EPQ, and what you've learnt. Does that help? (I did AQA but I imagine that they're very similar )

(Original post by Yoyodiza)
    How do the characters of 'His Dark Materials' develop as the story progresses?
    You might want to focus on one or two, and mention their names in the title. This still seems a bit wide though; maybe focus on one or two features/ways in which they develop?

What influences did Phillip Pullman use to create the worlds of 'His Dark Materials'?
    This seems really interesting! However, I'm not sure how you'd find this information, or how much scope there is for deep analysis. :confused:

How is heroism presented in Children's literature?
    This would be really interesting too - but you'd have to choose about three children's novels if you wanted deep analysis, and possibly choose them from different time periods, so the question is more like:
    "How has the way in which heroism presented in children's novels changed since __?"
    I think this last one would be the best idea for a successful EPQ

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply for medicine, and I wanted something medicine-related. I handed my page four in, my question was:

What are the medical differences between the

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a career in medicine so I'd like my EPQ to be medicine-related. I handed my page four in yesterday, but I'm not sure whether my question would be good enough to talk about in an interview?

What are the medical differences between the protein-energy malnutrition Kwashiorkor, Aneroxia Nervosa, and Bulimia Nervosa?

Thats the question that I wrote on my page four, but I'm also interested in cancer but couldn't think of a question. Anything that medical universities would be attracted too?

Thanks x

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.