Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Are we certain about that 7_3
    Lol don't you'll make me mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    Is that imposed on you by other people?
    No but none of the things you listed are ethier.

Care to elaborate on this? People are perfectly free to act out the stereotypical roles for their gender if they want to - and the last part of your statement, is, frankly (see below.)
    And people are perfectly free to do whatever they want if Toys'r'Us puts boys playing with action man in thier catalog.

Ad hominem, much?
    So is it a university one or have you really gone out of your way to join one?

(Original post by Seven_Three)
    Who is being forced into a gender role? Who is being forced into a gender role in this case?
    Force is, I admit, a strong word. But in this case, everybody. We are all expected to conform to the gender roles that society sets our for us. If I, as a man, want to wear a dress or make-up, I'm ridiculed. Equally, if a woman wants to go into a "man's" job, she often finds it hard to get the job at all, or promoted once she's there.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, ridicule. That obviously justifies a social revolution with consequences that are essentially unpredictable. Ironically I'm now going to go and cook dinner.

ReputationRep:
    This may have been the case - once. The problem is that society is not all evolving at the same rate. Women's previous role as mothers and men's previous role as women's physical protectors is hardly as relevant today as it was ten thousand years ago. Nowadays, most jobs are not based on physical strength, and having kids is no longer of as much importance.
    I fail to see how motherhood is not relevant anymore. Are babies popping out of the ground now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alasdair)
    Force is, I admit, a strong word. But in this case, everybody. We are all expected to conform to the gender roles that society sets our for us. If I, as a man, want to wear a dress or make-up, I'm ridiculed. Equally, if a woman wants to go into a "man's" job, she often finds it hard to get the job at all, or promoted once she's there.
    So what, stop being a pussy if people ridicule you. We're hardly stringing up those who don't conform to gender roles in Britain are we. Most of the force comes from political correctness who would like to see anyone who questions their dogma to be fired from their job and ostracised. Funnily you're all for that.

Oh no, ridicule. That obviously justifies a social revolution with consequences that are essentially unpredictable. Ironically I'm now going to go and cook dinner.
    Yeah, I need to go and clean my room (see, we wouldn't have done that 50 years ago, and yet we're perfectly capable of it - what better proof that gender roles are all ********? :p:).

Cross dressing was the first thing that came off the top of my head. But of course, the fact that it's so minor an issue for men and so major an issue for women is instructive.

(Original post by Seven_Three)
    So what, stop being a pussy if people ridicule you. We're hardly stringing up those who don't conform to gender roles in Britain are we. Most of the force comes from political correctness who would like to see anyone who questions their dogma to be fired from their job and ostracised. Funnily you're all for that.
    I notice how you and Bagration are focusing on the male example, and not the female one...

ReputationRep:
    I said as relevant. People nowadays are much more prosperous, and are living for a lot longer, than they used to. A lot of people are choosing to focus on their careers, as they have far more choices; and, of course, at the rate the global population is going, there is hardly any need to have kids for fear of us dying out (like there probably was in our past.)
    You do realise that this more selfish, careerist has had negative effects? A lack of a real community tradition, more depression/suicides, women feeling ever more lost, etc etc?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that Toys R Us cataloguing their toys between Boys and Girls is "forcing people into gender roles."
    Of course it is, and you know it. As a boy, wouldn't you play with trucks/guns etc because that was 'what boys do', clearly represented as boys toys in a shop? You probably weren't given any other options.

Children do NOT make their own decisions, and any influences on them as children will probably stay with them for life.

ReputationRep:
    What, like women not getting paid as much as men for doing the same job?
    Tbh I've yet to see any incidents of this happening unfairly or with real discriminatory intent.

Suppose I came to your house and verbally harassed you every time you went out. I wouldn't be "forcing" you to do anything but you wouldn't exactly feel "free to do whatever you wanted," either.
    Well that would be harrassment and would be forcing someone. Making boys cothes blue is hardly harrassment is it?

Ad hominem again. I'm not going to bother replying to these any more, so you might save us both some hassle and quit your pointless efforts to bait me now. :rolleyes:
    Do what you ******* like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alasdair)
    I notice how you and Bagration are focusing on the male example, and not the female one...
    "Equally, if a woman wants to go into a "man's" job, she often finds it hard to get the job at all, or promoted once she's there."

So what if they want to hire blokes that is thier perogative imo. Why should a woman be entitled to a job? I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkin'Butterfly)
    Of course it is, and you know it. As a boy, wouldn't you play with trucks/guns etc because that was 'what boys do', clearly represented as boys toys in a shop? You probably weren't given any other options.

Children do NOT make their own decisions, and any influences on them as children will probably stay with them for life.
    I played with trucks and guns because trucks and guns are ******* awesome. It was made aware to me by my parents that they wouldn't hold some form of discriminatory purchase policy (although not at a disgustingly low age, but I would have got what I asked for whether it was a toy gun or a toy doll) and that they would love me no matter what so don't tell me I was indoctrinated thanks.

ReputationRep:
    This is silly. My sister begged for transformers while my other sister had barbies and I liked lego best (I'm a girl). I think often it does depend on the child.... I don't think there's anything wrong with girls playing with dolls!! I don't like the way some mums think it's only proper for girls to play with girly toys and boys to play with boyish toys lest they turn into transvestites or something
    Still not something for the government to propagate. Almost tyrannical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    You do realise that this more selfish, careerist has had negative effects? A lack of a real community tradition, more depression/suicides, women feeling ever more lost, etc etc?
    I agree with this to an extent. However there is no way in hell I would support going back to exactly how it was - a woman as laughing stock or eye candy in the workplace. That said, women still are expected to be good mothers, while having exactly the same careers as men this is just a logistical nightmare. It's a very tough one to get right, but it could possibly revolve around men and women accepting different contracts dependent on if they have children or not, which may mean more paid holiday time and flexi-hours but less chance of promotion. (I haven't exactly thought that through, but I agree that the current free-for-all rat race is hellish and not conducive to good childraising). This doesn't mean it's because women are unsuited to the workplace though and woe betide any c'unt who tries to send them all back to the kitchen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ojwk)
    If there is nothing disgraceful about androgyny then there is nothing disgraceful about pro-androgyny propaganda.
    Propaganda aimed at indoctrination is disgraceful.

Sometimes i walk down the street and think wtf.

Yesterday i saw a guy in a dress, seriously WTF.

Why would anyone be pro adrogyny?

ReputationRep:
    I said as relevant. People nowadays are much more prosperous, and are living for a lot longer, than they used to. A lot of people are choosing to focus on their careers, as they have far more choices; and, of course, at the rate the global population is going, there is hardly any need to have kids for fear of us dying out (like there probably was in our past.)

erm there hasn't been a fear of humans dying out for thousands upon thousands of years.

Most people don't want to see their countries die out.

/most of the over population is poor countries so if all the rich ones stop breeding that means the **** will hit the fan for our nation.

Thank god not evry decent woman in this country wants to forgo kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkin'Butterfly)

I had a barbie when i was younger to go with my action man(for some action )

But in all seriousness there does have to be some gender boundaries otherwise we will end up with a society of femine men AND feminine women, because for the most part women always retain their femine side regardless, but girly bloke rarely discover masculinity.

ReputationRep:
    I say we should expel Sweden from the EU on the grounds they are too obsessively politically correct. :yes: I say turnip your nose to a swede!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    More evidence of disgraceful pro-androgyny indoctrination in Sweden:

Source.

So having different toys for boys and girls is now considered "outdated" in genderless Sweden. And girls playing with dolls is thought to be merely "passive" whilst boys playing with cars or train sets is thought to be "active" and therefore superior (just shows what "feminists" really think about the feminine and motherhood: they hate them and want everyone to be career obsessed men).

It seems that the Swedes have full-heartedly swallowed the pro-androgyny nonsense of the "feminists". There is a reason that there are two sexes. If we were meant to be like amoebas and not have any sexual differences, we wouldn't have all these different parts each sex likes so much on the other one.
    I think you've misunderstanding the problem. You say that Sweden wants people to be genderless, when in reality they are just trying to emphasize the point that we are people first, and male/female second.

On a side note, two great videos on the subject. A song and a poem. Not particularly important, but worth watching nonetheless.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.