Turn on thread page Beta

Geography/Geology Applications/Offers/Discussion 2010 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julia0915)
    has anyone applied for Trevelyan at Durham?

I applied for:
    Durham
    Exeter
    Edinburgh
    Bristol
    Southampton

and I just got an offer from Exeter =]
    I'm applying to trevs :yes: all the people i know who've gone there really like it, so hopefully i'll get accepted... I applied for Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Southampton and Liverpool, so nearly the samee lol, but for Geology :hmmm: So far, only got an interview at Southampton, but got to prepare a 7 minute presentation on a topic of geological interest that i can back up with enough knowledge to answer questions on not looking too promising lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megeggan)
    I'm applying to trevs :yes: all the people i know who've gone there really like it, so hopefully i'll get accepted... I applied for Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Southampton and Liverpool, so nearly the samee lol, but for Geology :hmmm: So far, only got an interview at Southampton, but got to prepare a 7 minute presentation on a topic of geological interest that i can back up with enough knowledge to answer questions on not looking too promising lol
    I have to do that too, have you got any ideas of what topic to talk about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greywacke)
    I have to do that too, have you got any ideas of what topic to talk about?
    TBH i have absolutely no idea atm... I was thinking possibly something along the lines of tectonics and a recent event, plus building techniques... but that's more civil engineering, so probs not the best idea
    :confused: Much reading needed methinks lol. It was hard enough writing the personal statement about doing geology lol... Have you got any ideas? :o:

ReputationRep:
    TBH i have absolutely no idea atm... I was thinking possibly something along the lines of tectonics and a recent event, plus building techniques... but that's more civil engineering, so probs not the best idea
    :confused: Much reading needed methinks lol. It was hard enough writing the personal statement about doing geology lol... Have you got any ideas? :o:
    Yeah I have no idea lol. Don't you do geology at A level?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have no idea lol. Don't you do geology at A level?
    I wish lol... My school didn't offer it. I do Maths, Chemistry and Geography, So i'm just hoping i've chosen the right course lol. Im assuming you do geology?

ReputationRep:
    I wish lol... My school didn't offer it. I do Maths, Chemistry and Geography, So i'm just hoping i've chosen the right course lol. Im assuming you do geology?
    Oh right, yeah I do. It's good, you'll enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, yeah I do. It's good, you'll enjoy it
    geology at a level and university are not the same. it could be the same with all university courses but it becomes rapidy different, especially in the third year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex p)
    geology at a level and university are not the same. it could be the same with all university courses but it becomes rapidy different, especially in the third year.
    So does this mean it doesn't matter too much if you apply for a Geology course without having done the A level? I'm a bit worried that if I get into one of my preferred unis I will have a huge gap in my knowledge compared to other people because A level Geo wasn't available to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)
    So does this mean it doesn't matter too much if you apply for a Geology course without having done the A level? I'm a bit worried that if I get into one of my preferred unis I will have a huge gap in my knowledge compared to other people because A level Geo wasn't available to me.
    over half the year won't have a geology a level, or at least at soton 06 entry less than half had done it before

geology a level does help with the 1st year where its still fairly basic, but the 1st year is to make sure everyone gets to the same level anyway

youre better off with maths, physics or chemistry than you are with geology, it gets so intense so fast that a level geol becomes very dissimilar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess_888)
    Eeeeeeeee I applied today now for the wait. I only hope my school processes my application asap.

Erm I thought places like Durham and St. Andrews don't tend to give out offers until January. Many universities tend to give out offers in batches, so perhaps they applied earlier than you? And if not and you haven't got a rejection yet, seeming what I heard, it's possible you're on their 'maybe' list and they review some over in January again.. I think that's how some do it as well.. But from what I heard, Durham do take AGESSSSSSSSSS to reply!!!

And I'm applying for the BSc physical geography wins just a bit more over human geography in my opinion..
    That's not entirely true! Durham's been giving out offers for weeks...at least I have already got one. Yet it's very true that St Andrews won't give any offer before the end of this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mu.sa)
    That's not entirely true! Durham's been giving out offers for weeks...at least I have already got one. Yet it's very true that St Andrews won't give any offer before the end of this year
    Lol I don't know what I'm talking about then. I might have been thinking about a different department Ah well. Sorry :o:

(Original post by julia0915)
    I applied for:
    Durham
    Exeter
    Edinburgh
    Bristol
    Southampton

and I just got an offer from Exeter =]
    Congrats! How long did it take for them to give you the offer?

Ahhhhhh I started laughing when I got an acknowledgement from UCL at 6am this morning. I'm already getting impatient..

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone who applied to Drham for BA Geography had their application passed on to a college yet? Thanks because im getting worried that the department has had my application for a month now and it hasnt been passed to a college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamreed)
    Has anyone who applied to Drham for BA Geography had their application passed on to a college yet? Thanks because im getting worried that the department has had my application for a month now and it hasnt been passed to a college.
    I haven't don't worry! I panicked when I saw people had got passed on to colleges for BSC but I think the BA takes a bit longer as the application number is a lot higher... they can take ages apparantley :\

ReputationRep:
    Eeeeeeeee I applied today now for the wait. I only hope my school processes my application asap.

Erm I thought places like Durham and St. Andrews don't tend to give out offers until January. Many universities tend to give out offers in batches, so perhaps they applied earlier than you? And if not and you haven't got a rejection yet, seeming what I heard, it's possible you're on their 'maybe' list and they review some over in January again.. I think that's how some do it as well.. But from what I heard, Durham do take AGESSSSSSSSSS to reply!!!

And I'm applying for the BSc physical geography wins just a bit more over human geography in my opinion..
    Ohhh dear, a maybe list doesn't sound very good!!! I applied really early because I applied for Cambridge. Meh. Have you heard anyone who applied for BA getting an offer?? This succcks. Good luck with your BSC-ing stuff! haha Ooo I'm a bit more of a human geographer its got to be said!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mu.sa)

My application has been forwarded to the college How long did it take for you to receive your offer after that stage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex0723)
    My application has been forwarded to the college How long did it take for you to receive your offer after that stage?
    I presume that you have already received the email from Durham notifying you regarding the AES information. I got this email on 23 Oct, and received the conditional offer on 4 Nov. Just want to give you some reference for you to estimate the time span. I'm sure you will receive an offer in no time, provided that the department has already accepted you! What are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mu.sa)
    I presume that you have already received the email from Durham notifying you regarding the AES information. I got this email on 23 Oct, and received the conditional offer on 4 Nov. Just want to give you some reference for you to estimate the time span. I'm sure you will receive an offer in no time, provided that the department has already accepted you! What are you applying for?

Geography... I haven't received an e-mail from Durham saying that my AES status has changed if that is what you mean, but I think it has only just changed. What did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El28)
    Ohhh dear, a maybe list doesn't sound very good!!! I applied really early because I applied for Cambridge. Meh. Have you heard anyone who applied for BA getting an offer?? This succcks. Good luck with your BSC-ing stuff! haha Ooo I'm a bit more of a human geographer its got to be said!!
    An offer from Cambridge for the BA? Haven't the foggiest - I don't think they'll be giving out offers all too soon anyway..

Ahhhh I got acknowledgements from UCL and Exeter so far. That's nice to know. Although that sports scholarship business from Exeter was a little odd..

Anyone else get that? (I can't be bothered to read through the thread..)

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else get the "there will be a delay" letter from Bristol today?

Sounds like it could be quite a while; and that it was fairly unexpected.

ReputationRep:
    An offer from Cambridge for the BA? Haven't the foggiest - I don't think they'll be giving out offers all too soon anyway..

Ahhhh I got acknowledgements from UCL and Exeter so far. That's nice to know. Although that sports scholarship business from Exeter was a little odd..

Anyone else get that? (I can't be bothered to read through the thread..)

I got that from Exeter this morning and thought they had got my course wrong! Then i got the acknowledgement email , bit weird though I agree...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.