The lack of patriotism and sheer self-hatred on this site disgusts me... Watch

xptos1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aeolus)
Now if you had said that an Englishman might feel a bit peeved...
Well you got it didn't you?
Very well corrected but what's the point after all?
Still all the comments i've made still makes sense changing just that British to Englishman, i just can't understood why you attacked in that way over a change of words. Still this depicts the way you guys approach people. Offensively, closed... etc. Of course i know what constituent countries make up the UK... You don't need to point them out. And i know you, you know that i know that.

Well nonetheless i just pointed out pros and cons in my point of view... But anyway you know i'm not as bothered as i might sound... In the end i know who i am.

It was nice havok for a while. Fun stuff how we can be talking like this and then i go play football with a dozen more of brits and a dozen of foreigners and forget all this and be harmonically all happy.
olivia_w92
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by obviousdupeaccount12345CJ)
and one thing i do hate is the PC brigade who are half the time sad students and people who have never been out of an office. Trying to ban smoking in private homes I here now? How the **** are they going to police that then? we need to go and smoke on the street soon but didnt they already ban that?

What on earth has the smoking ban got to do with the 'pc brigade'? There is no such thing as the 'pc brigade', when will people stop feeling sorry for themselves and their 'lack of freedom' and realise that yes, you can celebrate St Georges day, and Christmas, and sing ba ba black sheep and say 'black board' and no, NOBODY is offended. I think it's those who haven't been out of office who are more likely to believe everything that the Daily mail publishes, rather than seeing outside of their ignorant bubble.

As for the original post, it's not necessary for everybody on a student forum to praise England at the end of every post. Lighten up!
Aeolus
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xptos1)
Well you got it didn't you?
Very well corrected but what's the point after all?
Still all the comments i've made still makes sense changing just that British to Englishman, i just can't understood why you attacked in that way over a change of words. Still this depicts the way you guys approach people. Offensively, closed... etc. Of course i know what constituent countries make up the UK... You don't need to point them out. And i know you, you know that i know that.

Well nonetheless i just pointed out pros and cons in my point of view... But anyway you know i'm not as bothered as i might sound... In the end i know who i am.

It was nice havok for a while. Fun stuff how we can be talking like this and then i go play football with a dozen more of brits and a dozen of foreigners and forget all this and be harmonically all happy.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I don't even think you do to be honest.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by caroline147)
During the rise of racism in the 50s and 60s, it was precisely "laughing it off" that meant many ethnic minorities had to endure terrible abuse. Yeah, the Notting Hill race riots were ******* hilarious lololololol.
Wasn't referring to racism though was I?
Racism is a completely different topic.

Um, considering one of fascism's core tenets is nationalism, it stands to reason that patriotism is far far more likely to contribute to its support rather than undermine it. As soon as you start irrationally glorifying your country, I don't see why you'd stop at a 'balanced' point. It's all another name for a superiority complex.
and yet; in my view, history seems to suggest otherwise.

The British were very proud during our Great years... No fascism... only the ones we laughed at Mr Sweaty armpit Mosley.

Now a days, our pride has been torn away... fascist representation.

The correlation seems clear.

Also why is it irrational? So let's assume Britain went to war in the "East" and as a result liberated and improved the lives of millions upon millions. The millions dying of poverty now have enough to live without fear of poverty again.

I then say, I am very proud of my country. It has done brilliant brilliant things.
Oh no I'm not, that would be irrational...

See the flaw in your statement? Pride in ones country is not irrational.
xptos1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aeolus)
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I don't even think you do to be honest.
Whatever.. do you really think this is a topic for a forum? its not.

Saw your blog btw.. impressed you wrote about the drug issue in portugal. My mother used to work as a doctor treating drug addicts in rehab. What are you studying? and where?
Teaddict
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pendragon)
I disagree, sensible patriotism weakens fascism just as sensible practice of religion weakens religious extremism. When you remove religion entirely or patriotism entirely people react against it and turn to extremes.
I agree 100% and will give you rep tomorrow if you remind me.
(This is the point I was making also)
Komakino
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Since when have Brits been patriotic, only when it comes to sport and WW2 reminising do we feel pride, we are collectively self-deprecating its just our way.
Komakino
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I disagree, sensible patriotism weakens fascism just as sensible practice of religion weakens religious extremism. When you remove religion entirely or patriotism entirely people react against it and turn to extremes.

Religious fundamentalists can then say look our society is irreligious and completely degenerate you should embrace religion entirely (in the extreme form we package it to you), and fascists can say look they all hate our country we are the only ones sticking up for it - if you don't hate our country you should join us.

Whereas if people are steeped in a sensible religious tradition (Anglicanism or Sufi Islam) or a decent moderate kind of patriotism they will not feel there is any void or any 'conspiracy' against them, their country or their religion, and as a result they will not be conned by extremists like the Islamists or the BNP. Moderate religion and moderate patriotism drains the pool in which radicalism can swim.

If religion or patriotism is not truly moderate and is in fact imbued with some radical elements it can become a conveyor belt to extremism, so its important not to confuse moderation for the majority (they aren't always the same thing).

If you had no sensible patriotism and no moderate peaceful religion in a country do you really think this would reduce the number of people who turned to what would then be the only alternative options of extreme nationalism and religious fundamentalism?

If more British Muslims were Sufi and more were proud to have a British identity along with a sensible form of British patriotism there would certainly be fewer Islamists, fewer young British Muslims sympathetic to Islamism, and correspondingly less ground for the BNP to stand on as well as fewer genuine concerns in the wider British population about Islam (which they do not understand, or see the internal distinctions of, i.e. regarding Islamism) and which the BNP use to attract support and shield their actually racist agenda in the guise of a legitimate criticism of a religious ideology (which many sensible and educated people in wider society share).
By which you mean citizenship? I don't know if I've ever come across a sensible patriot, I've come across a number of contented citizens, they don't feel a particular attachment to their nation, more a satisfaction with all the things that make up their life. In my opinion the question of loving your country is best left in the background in order to detract from emotiveness, sure we can all come together when we are under attack, but otherwise there's no need for that patriotic fervour.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by around)
Maybe it's a 'being educated' thing?

just a thought
I'd argue that you can be educated no matter where your allegiance lies on the political spectrum...
folde
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by around)
Maybe it's a 'being educated' thing?

just a thought
Then why as people get older (learning more about the world and becoming more educated) do they get more right wing?

Thanks
lattywatty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ak56)
The basic ethos of this site is that British patriotism is very negative, we should be ashamed of our behaviour, other cultures have every right to hate us and pick us up on our cultural short-comings, we have no right to critise foreigners because by default everything they do is better than us - they dress better than us, they are more intelligent than us, they are better looking than us, less sexually premocious, society has lower crime, blah blah blah.
Wait... so foreigners have a right to criticise us because they do everything better...

But we can't criticise ourselves simply because we were born here?

:confused:

Anyway, I find it ridiculous to be proud of something you have no control over.
Teaddict
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by folde)
Then why as people get older (learning more about the world and becoming more educated) do they get more right wing?

Thanks
Now I get to give you my favourite quote.

Those that are not liberal at age 20 are heartless.
Those that are not conservative at age 40 are brainless.
folde
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)

I love it. :3
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you've got to be kidding me? this site oozes nothing but self righteousness
ahnaf.c
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
speak for yourself, not for everyone.
DJ AgnieszkaA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ak56)
The basic ethos of this site is that British patriotism is very negativesheer liberal negativity and pompousness, and how quite frankly anti-British this site is, it sometimes does get really grating and depressing to read just how much of the country's youth seem to hate themselves and their culture.
But to me, the sheer level of self-hatred towards your own identity of this website is highly depressing, and definitely goes against what would be considered natural self-preservation and self-respect.
this
he raises a good point. it wont change anything, so its a pointless point. but a valid one.
nolongerhearthemusic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lack of patriotism is good, because patriotism is irrational. And you can still like your own culture without being "proud" or arrogant about it.

Though there are people who seem to think that Britain is a dump and every other Western country is MUCH better and there's nothing good about this country at all. It's just as irrational as the stereotypical patriotic American who knows nothing about other countries but knows America is the best one, it's just the opposite. But of the two, I'd prefer the non-patriotic version to the patriotic version because at least it's not arrogant.
DJ AgnieszkaA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)

im conservative at age 17... ... ...? :yep:
S_123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ak56)
The basic ethos of this site is that British patriotism is very negative, we should be ashamed of our behaviour, other cultures have every right to hate us and pick us up on our cultural short-comings, we have no right to critise foreigners because by default everything they do is better than us - they dress better than us, they are more intelligent than us, they are better looking than us, less sexually premocious, society has lower crime, blah blah blah.

I'm sure you don't care, but I have used this site for years, and I often have to take a break from posting because of the sheer liberal negativity and pompousness, and how quite frankly anti-British this site is, it sometimes does get really grating and depressing to read just how much of the country's youth seem to hate themselves and their culture.

I suspect 80% of you will eventually grow out of your stupid liberal, apologist, pompous views while the remaining 20% will become aging communists.

But to me, the sheer level of self-hatred towards your own identity of this website is highly depressing, and definitely goes against what would be considered natural self-preservation and self-respect.
I have found both this extreme and its right-wing counterpart on this forum lol. I don't think it's so serious in real life and people tend to amplify their views on the net.
Teaddict
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
im conservative at age 17... ... ...?
I was a conservative at 17 too

We are heartless *******s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.81%
Pro-humanity (168)
54.19%

Watched Threads