Obama cancels NASA's Constellation moon programme Watch

Frieza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Delta Usafa)
Good. Sorry if you're an enthusiast, but it's not very necessary at the moment and the government can't afford it.

Maybe another time when we're not in the middle of a recession.
And how do we get out of a recession?
Cutting jobs, of course.
Delta Usafa
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Frieza)
And how do we get out of a recession?
Cutting jobs, of course.
I'm assuming that's sarcasm, and canceling a trip to the moon isn't going to make people lose their jobs.
Frieza
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Delta Usafa)
I'm assuming that's sarcasm, and canceling a trip to the moon isn't going to make people lose their jobs.
Oh yes, because the money will automatically form a pile of 1 dollar coins up to the moon, with no human intervention.

And FYI, there's no limit to the amount the state can spend.
learn2bankingsystem.
Evil Monkey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And FYI, there's no limit to the amount the state can spend.
learn2bankingsystem.
There is if they want a working economy at the end of it.

Zimbabwe ring any bells?

learn2economy
Frieza
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Evil Monkey)
There is if they want a working economy at the end of it.

Zimbabwe ring any bells?

learn2economy

Financing a project like the one in this topic has nothing to do with Zimbabwe.

learn2hyperbole
Evil Monkey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Financing a project like the one in this topic has nothing to do with Zimbabwe.

learn2hyperbole
I wasn't suggesting it's going to give them 100,000%+ inflation, it was just an example of what sorts of things that attitude to things leads to genius.

If they do it with the space program, what stops them doing it with anything else where they could do with a bit more money?
Unknown?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Who does this guy think he is? Space exploration has been around since the 1960's and just because he's the "in guy" right now he can hault that? What about all of the american citizen's tax payers money that has been wasted on the middle east or bailing out the banks, compared to that the Nasa budget is actually pretty small. Someone needs to kill Obama hopefully soon. Maybe when he's giving a speech a person in the crowd will have a gun and shoot him. We know how trigger happy americans are. :lol:
Pocket Calculator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Unknown?)
Who does this guy think he is? Space exploration has been around since the 1960's and just because he's the "in guy" right now he can hault that?
he's only really putting a stop to their manned space efforts. which is vaguely understandable, since manned space exploration has been stuck in a rut since the end of the Cold War. real science these days is done by robotic missions - much higher return in much less time, for much less risk and at a fraction of the cost.

still, it's a shame. i hope we do still some day see people actually living in space and on the moon and all that. can't see it happening until world affairs again resemble the Cold War - you need that atmosphere of one-upmanship to get things like that done.
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by flugestuge)
Excellent.
We will save billions by not wasting money on NASA.
NASA is an inefficient, bloated bureaucracy.
NASA spent a $17.6 billion last year and achieved absolutely nothing worthwhile.
Ironically, NASA's budget is being increased to $18.7 billion. That's what makes this so annoying - it's been spending $17.6 billion sending resources to the ISS and upgrading Hubble (both things contributing to scientific advancement), and for the next decade it's going to be spending more and not doing anything.
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
Who does this guy think he is? Space exploration has been around since the 1960's and just because he's the "in guy" right now he can hault that? What about all of the american citizen's tax payers money that has been wasted on the middle east or bailing out the banks, compared to that the Nasa budget is actually pretty small. Someone needs to kill Obama hopefully soon. Maybe when he's giving a speech a person in the crowd will have a gun and shoot him. We know how trigger happy americans are. :lol:
Who does the guy think he is?

The most powerful chap on the planet, thats who.
Unknown?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rucklo)
Who does the guy think he is?

The most powerful chap on the planet, thats who.
Then why could he not push his healthcare reform through in his own dam country or bring peace to the world despite him being awarded the nobel peace prize for doing jack squat?
Batmaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lol at all the Moon landing deniers coming out of the woodwork. Seriously, there are so many better ways to waste your time than on the "Moon hoax theory". The arguments are so poorly constructed that anyone with a basic grasp of physics can explain them.

Speaking of Coca Cola advertising, did you know that they did actually send Coca Cola up there with the shuttle astronauts a couple of decades or so ago?
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
Then why could he not push his healthcare reform through in his own dam country or bring peace to the world despite him being awarded the nobel peace prize for doing jack squat?
He could blow you the **** up, I hope he does.
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sephiroth)
I am saying the Saturn V rocket was more technological capable than anything we've built since then. Since the Apollo program was scrapped, NASA hasn't had a reason to build a better rocket.
yep, true. in terms of lifting capacity the Saturn V has not been matched since. don't think even the Proton matches it.
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't really understand how can someone still believe that the americans actually landed on the moon.
Surely you must be really naive?

They supposely did it 40 years ago, when the best processor in the world was less powerful than a nowadays £20 mobile phone. And now, even if that ****** was to finance the moon project, it would have taken 10 YEARS and a ******** of money.

With the technology now, they can't do what they did 40 years ago. Yeah, right.
i just entered 200-odd bulk geochemical analyses of lunar basalts into a spreadsheet about an hour ago, for my masters project. how did i manage to get my hands on all that data if no one ever went to the moon?
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by flugestuge)
NASA spent a $17.6 billion last year and achieved absolutely nothing worthwhile.
ongoing running of:

Hubble space telescope
Spitzer space telescope
Kepler space telescope
Cassini
the two Mars Rovers
New Horizons
Dawn
the Voyagers
Messenger
Soho
Lunar Reconaissance Orbiter
Mars Reconaissance Orbiter
Mars Odyssey

reasonable list of ongoing space missions there. all together they might cost a bit, but they're all pretty awesome.
Unknown?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rucklo)
He could blow you the **** up, I hope he does.
Obama can't do crap to me. I'll still be here today, and tommorrow and the day after that. In fact Obama will likely die before me and turn to dust which I shall walk on since I'm younger than him.
Rite
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Old thread I know but I thought I'd mention this article I came across recently: http://www.economist.com/sciencetech...ry_id=15450607
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Rite)
Old thread I know but I thought I'd mention this article I came across recently: http://www.economist.com/sciencetech...ry_id=15450607
Thanks, an interesting article.
I actually watched a press conference NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden gave just after the program was cancelled - a brilliant watch if space exploration interests you. He really put a good spin on it all, and probably allayed a lot of fears that people have about the agency's future.
It's not as bad as I'd first feared. It's a change of direction that traditionalists won't like, but it will undoubtedly encourage competitive enterprise and innovation in the space industry. In 10-20 years space exploration may be a lot better off for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (99)
25.65%
No (287)
74.35%

Watched Threads