The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im so academic
For example?

Ah, I'm too lazy to type it all out now. And I could be wrong; perhaps you are taking it into account. But you do seem to be reiterating the same points over and over that Cambridge doesn't care, that I don't have enough passion for lit, and that it's unnecessary. The first and last I can agree with; the middle one - not so much.
I'd really think it through, A-levels are a lot of work. I wanted to do 7 AS levels until the careers adviser persuaded me otherwise (luckily, at my 6th form you can't do more than 5 whilst you're in the 6th form, not including general studies, which everyone has to do, unless you're doing something like additional further maths) 5 is certainly a lot of work, not always throughout the year but in terms of how many exams you'll end up doing, and the content to learn. I would get rid of sociology if I were you as it's the least respected of the A-levels you want to do.

History is pretty heavy in terms of content, and I think you have to be prepared to read - a lot - for English Lit but seeing as you want to study it at university, you'll need to do that one. I did AS French a year early and didn't find it too difficult in terms of work alongside my GCSEs but a lot of the people in my year who are doing it now say it's a lot of work. There's also quite a lot to learn for Biology.
effyeffyeffy
Ah, I'm too lazy to type it all out now. And I could be wrong; perhaps you are taking it into account. But you do seem to be reiterating the same points over and over that Cambridge doesn't care, that I don't have enough passion for lit, and that it's unnecessary. The first and last I can agree with; the middle one - not so much.

The reason I keep repeating what I say is that you are REALLY determined to do 6 A-Levels, half of them are pointless.

Look, your life, if you want to do 6, do 6. I don't give a ****.

However, don't say you haven't been warned.
Reply 123
I wouldn't bother doing more than 4. I got similar GCSEs to what your predicted, and I couldn't handle more than 4, so don't push yourself. Most unis don't even ask for 4 AS levels, even the top ones, so it seems a massive waste of time to me because it doesn't really give you much of an advantage.
Reply 124
chebanana
you won't do yourself justice if you do 6, no matter how academic you believe yourself to be.

How exactly do you know that?

Fair comment to say "Be aware that more subjects may mean more pressure and lower grades" but really, she might be fine with 6 subjects you never know. It's generally not regarded as necessary to do that many by any means but it's not impossible to get fantastic marks in 6 AS levels.
in the words of sam lucy, the cambridge newnham admissions tutor 'taking 6 AS levels is just daft'
if you believe you can cope go for it but I would strongly recommend to keep it to about 5, especially as those choices are very hardcore too mostly like history, english lit and biology
Reply 126
effyeffyeffy
Hmm, yes I have actually.
Taking 6 A levels has nothing to do with trying to get into Cambridge, so it doesn't bother me if they completely ignore the extras. It's because I have a passion for learning and I want to learn as much as possible.

I'm not quite sure why you're getting so touchy about it.

Maybe because you do actually sound shallow. Every one of i'm so academic's posts on this thread sounds like very good sense. It's quality Cambridge is after, not quantity, not a chance. The interview will sort the sheep from the goats and you can tell them that you're passionate about literature until you're blue in the face, if you lack credibility when they quiz you, you won't get a place, doesn't matter how many A levels you take.

Who has 'brought you up as a Cambridge girl' and what does that mean?
im so academic
The reason I keep repeating what I say is that you are REALLY determined to do 6 A-Levels, half of them are pointless.

Look, your life, if you want to do 6, do 6. I don't give a ****.

However, don't say you haven't been warned.

I'm not determined. I'm considering. That's why I wanted opinions. I appreciate yours.
conkerina
Maybe because you do actually sound shallow. Every one of i'm so academic's posts on this thread sounds like very good sense. It's quality Cambridge is after, not quantity, not a chance. The interview will sort the sheep from the goats and you can tell them that you're passionate about literature until you're blue in the face, if you lack credibility when they quiz you, you won't get a place, doesn't matter how many A levels you take.

Who has 'brought you up as a Cambridge girl' and what does that mean?

Shallow? Okay .. :s-smilie:

I didn't mean literally brought up as a Cambridge girl. I was trying to explain to that poster why I didn't want to go to Oxford.
effyeffyeffy
I'm not determined. I'm considering. That's why I wanted opinions. I appreciate yours.

OK, thanks.

Since you're considering - don't.

As have many other people have said on this thread, not just me.

And it's not just posters on this thread, but Cambridge too.

And it's not just Cambridge, but common sense will tell you not to.
Reply 130
Stick with 5 - it makes no difference that sociology is easy, you still have to go to lessons and do work outside of it.
Also sociology is pointless at any level, even degree. There is no such thing as a sociologist.
Reply 131
slacker
Reply 132
yes it'd get too much for you and you don't need to.
im so academic
OK, thanks.

Since you're considering - don't.

As have many other people have said on this thread, not just me.

And it's not just posters on this thread, but Cambridge too.

And it's not just Cambridge, but common sense will tell you not to.

Well, okay.
I think I'll go for 5, and if the pressure becomes too much I'll either drop biology or psychology, depending on which one is putting the most strain on me.
Reply 134
Yes.

A-levels aren't even that interesting generally. They tend to focus too much on teaching to the exam. If your reason for wanting to do six is that you love learning, I recommend you pick four of them to do, and then read about the others in your spare time. It'd probably be a lot more interesting and easier for you.
rednaxela
slacker

Haha, nice.
Just a little point: If you do decide to apply to the American universities you listed, it wouldn't matter how many A levels you have, as they still ask for the SAT or ACT, I know that Harvard doesn't accept any A levels, Yale only accepts complete A levels in place of SAT II tests, and you won't have those when the deadline for applying to an American university comes around.
effyeffyeffy
Well, okay.
I think I'll go for 5, and if the pressure becomes too much I'll either drop biology or psychology, depending on which one is putting the most strain on me.

Or just don't do Psychology at all.

Cambridge don't look favourable upon it. (Yes I know you're doing it for your own interests).

Or do 4 and get yourself an AS Psychology book? Then you'll have what you want to do (learn psychology) without the revision and exams.
Jing_jing
Just a little point: If you do decide to apply to the American universities you listed, it wouldn't matter how many A levels you have, as they still ask for the SAT or ACT, I know that Harvard doesn't accept any A levels, Yale only accepts complete A levels in place of SAT II tests, and you won't have those when the deadline for applying to an American university comes around.

I know :smile:
im so academic
Or just don't do Psychology at all.

Cambridge don't look favourable upon it. (Yes I know you're doing it for your own interests).

Or do 4 and get yourself an AS Psychology book? Then you'll have what you want to do (learn psychology) without the revision and exams.

Well, psychology is one that I do really want to have a qualification in. Sociology is dispensable, and I think biology would probably be too in place of psychology. I'd rather do the qualification in psychology & study bio on the side, even though that wouldn't work out as well.

Latest