The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The kafirophobia in this thread is really quite shocking. South park has always been a politically incorrect show, so to force it to be politically correct over this single issue is rather wrong. Nobody has the right to not be offended, so being offended is not an excuse to ban free expression. The day itself does sound a little childish, however if the South Park cartoonists had not been threatened, and people didn't feel their right to free speech/expression was being curtailled, the day wouldn't exist in the first place. Of course it doesn't mean people actually need to draw the picture, as the concept behind it seems much more important than the actual act. The fact it is being met with so much opposition, some of it even by nonmuslims under the guise of 'respect' only highlights just how much the day is needed.
The official site for the event has pledged to only upload tasteful images, so aforementioned pictures of mohammed being raped by camels, etc. will not be shown (doubtless some will draw them, however these people dislike muslims, and don't specifically care about the free speech purpose of the day, and will be ignored as such), but a picture of a smiling arab man for example, should be no problem.
Reply 121
For a start, there's not point boycotting facebook seeing as the group wasn't created by the site, just by one of the users.

There's hundreds of groups which disrespect Christianity, yet it's funny how they don't boycott the site. But yeh that's right, you can't slag off islam these days..
Annoying-Mouse
Why doesn’t it apply to children? Male children? They are in danger of being raped? Women don’t always want protection. You guys are forcing protection on them. If they don’t want it, they should be free to do so. Erm, this is where your misinformed. Go to the ask a Muslim thread. Islam believes all religions apart from the Abrahamic ones are false. I do understand, it is you that doesn’t understand. Go to the ask a Muslim thread and post your question and see the reply, it will be similar to mine. A religion is a belief. A belief is a choice. Your choices are not accepted by everyone. Therefore, your choices are open to criticism.No matter how beneficial you believe it to be, it is sexist by definition. Just like positive discrimination, is still discrimination.

I don't need to post on a thread to know what is right, I am learned enough in the Islamic scriptures to know that your are completely wrong. As you said you 'were' a muslim. Your level of logic is below par, why would you leave a child to travel to another country?...let's have a big guess because they are too young to travel on their own, hence the parents would travel with them. As I stated earlier Islam recognises Jews and Christians, but not other religions that descended later, possibly because....hmm...they came hundreds of years after Islam. As I said before Islam states live and let live, it does not impose anything on any one. You left the religion because you wanted to, no one is imposing it on you.

Belief is indeed a choice, a choice to either be a believer of the religion or not. But it does not give you a licence to spew utter rubbish and criticise it. It no longer has any impact on your life.
It's pathetic.

'Oh, I feel good about myself because I'm drawing something that I know will offend some people, purely out of spite'
. Really? Are these people's lives so devoid of substance, and their minds so completely void of intelligent thought that they have to resort to jumping on the Offend Islam Lol!!1 band wagon in order to feel significant?

Don't give me the 'It's about exercising my right to free speech' talk - that's utter rubbish. You want free speech? Why not go and stand on a soap box in Speaker's Corner on a Sunday and tell the world what you think of it? Why not have a discussion with someone who shares, or opposes your views, and you broaden each other's minds through intelligent conversation and substantiated viewpoints? Why not, instead of wasting your time with a pack of crayons, go and learn more about the topic you evidently have such a strong opinion of so that you can better defend this opinion, or change your opinion with what you learn?

Only a child would draw an image of something that will directly offend another in order to express their feelings. When I was younger, and someone offended, worried, or scared, me, I'd draw a picture of it with stink lines coming off it, and possibly with a tiny bit of poo on its head. That is how children express themselves, because they are incapable of using adult reasoning. Nowadays, however, when someone/something makes me feel uncomfortable, I talk about the issue, and use my vocabulary, common sense and intelligence to express my opinion on it. Funnily enough, this is the way most adults deal with things that they do not like. Most people mature with age - unfortunately, not everybody does.

Whether or not you think someone else has the right to be offended by your words or actions is totally irrelevant, and to presume that people shouldn't be offended by something that you see as being OK is infantile, pathetic and downright ignorant.

There are words for people who cannot think to express themselves in any other way than to jump on an internet trend :sheep:
~The Mixed Race Girl~
ur signature just cracked me up lol:yep: was a bit of a mardy arse today and then was reading this thread out of boredom and ur sig made me laugh

You know, I created that sig four days before the Con-Lib deal. You should be more amused at my foresight.

Thanks anyway. I want to visit the place in your sig.
maximusbarr
I don't need to post on a thread to know what is right, I am learned enough in the Islamic scriptures to know that your are completely wrong. As you said you 'were' a muslim. Your level of logic is below par, why would you leave a child to travel to another country?...let's have a big guess because they are too young to travel on their own, hence the parents would travel with them. As I stated earlier Islam recognises Jews and Christians, but not other religions that descended later, possibly because....hmm...they came hundreds of years after Islam. As I said before Islam states live and let live, it does not impose anything on any one. You left the religion because you wanted to, no one is imposing it on you.

Belief is indeed a choice, a choice to either be a believer of the religion or not. But it does not give you a licence to spew utter rubbish and criticise it. It no longer has any impact on your life.

No, children start to travel by themselves at the age of 12-14, which is young. If I was a lawyer you cant’ say I don’t know anything about law because I retired. Erm, Egyptology, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Persian mythology and more all came before Islam and Christianity, some even before Judaism

Are you seriously retarded? Like, I can’t believe anyone actually can believe this. If someone chooses to be a Nazi, it isn’t a my problem your right. But, the Nazism ideology contains a lot of things I disagree with. Therefore, I will criticise it. That is called debating, my friend. Islam is like any other religion, false. It is just a belief. It has its positives and negatives. I should be able to criticise its negatives.
Reply 126
Brilliant idea, next the mussies will try to take away our free speach
maximusbarr

If you don't believe religious views should be subject to criticism, you are quite simply a fascist.
Reply 128
I'd just call it a dick-move.

It's like when you know something pisses someone off and you get everyone to do it to them; you could be forgiven for doing it yourself without knowing but once you set out to specifically piss them off you're just being a knob.

There is absolutely nothing good that could come of this, other than some smug ******* saying "oh look we drew Mohammed what are you going to do now?" It's just causing trouble for no reason other than what is pretty much fashionable racism.

I understand people will probably reply back with the free speech argument, with which i agree; if you were going to do so just naturally, not with the specific intention to do it to piss people off then i would have no qualms. The thought never at all crossed my mind when i saw South Park put him in Super Best Friends, like at all i honestly didn't care about it (neither did anyone come to think until they did it again in 2006 and now there's the double standards in 2010) however when you basically make a fuss and directly wish to attack the Muslims in a way that you know yourself they hate, well you're basically knowingly opening the floodgates for yourself.
Reply 129
InvoluntarySlacker
You know, I created that sig four days before the Con-Lib deal. You should be more amused at my foresight.

Thanks anyway. I want to visit the place in your sig.

Wampire Weekend, is a wicked song, My favourite :smile:
Reply 130
Tiberius
Moderators closed the last thread. Apparently it was 'going nowhere'. Hopefully, they will now just police any off-topic comments instead of curtailing free discussion.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Everybody-Draw-Mohammed-Day/121369914543425?ref=ts

This is the Facebook group and the concept that is causing a ruckus. Pakistan has temporarily banned Facebook because of this, but obviously just providing the cause with publicity. The Pakistan issue is being discussed in another thread.

So, what do you think? Offensive? Disrespectful? A good day for freedom of speech?

Will you be joining in?

simply disgusting....
Reply 131
"Michelle, No our statement is that the Islamic faith has no control over those who are not believers or followers of their faith! It is a direct challenge and defiant action. I have friends who are Muslim who completely understand why we are doing this. They understand that there are extremists within their religion (as with all religions) that need to be made an example of and shown for what they are!"

What do you make of this comment? Personally I like the fact that she acknowledges that extremists are minorities in our religion but I don't understand why she's taking part in the drawing day thing, sure she can protest against the idiotic extremists who tried to kill the cartoonist, but by offending everyone? It won't make them "an example of and shown for what they are at all".

I can't say I'm not offended by it, but I believe in freedom of speech, so if they and you lot want to do this go ahead, I doubt it'll achieve much (except for enrage the extremists more, and give us an even more bad name), plus I don't have facebook so it won't affect me at all (even if I did it wouldn't, I'd just ignore it like most people on here are saying).
Annoying-Mouse
No, children start to travel by themselves at the age of 12-14, which is young. If I was a lawyer you cant’ say I don’t know anything about law because I retired. Erm, Egyptology, Greek mythology, Hinduism, Persian mythology and more all came before Islam and Christianity, some even before Judaism

Are you seriously retarded? Like, I can’t believe anyone actually can believe this. If someone chooses to be a Nazi, it isn’t a my problem your right. But, the Nazism ideology contains a lot of things I disagree with. Therefore, I will criticise it. That is called debating, my friend. Islam is like any other religion, false. It is just a belief. It has its positives and negatives. I should be able to criticise its negatives.

Finally, you have just proven how stupid you are. Let me explain step by step, since your level of IQ is way below the average of the whole nation.

1. A 'child' at the age of 12-14 is not a child, they are teenagers, able to look after themselves. So where is the question of them having parent's going with them on travels? [Stupid example used by yourself]

2. A lawyer if retired can say he knows about the law, but you're off track since you're mixing a profession with a religion. Religion is a sacred thing, profession isn't. No one cares if you slag off a profession, but you hurt people's feelings when you say their religion is a 'fairy tale'. [Another stupid example used by yourself...you're starting to look like a clown]

3. The use of 'mythology' says it all, it is not religion but a body of cultures mixed together. [Third bad argument and example...oh my you're level of intellect is below that of Nick Griffin now]

4. The question is are you retarded? (I think people know who the idiot is by now) - How can you mix religious belief with that of Nazism? - One is a belief for the improvement of life and the other, holding extreme views and violating people's human rights? You can criticise Nazism because it is not religion but a violent ideology. Do not use 'debating' as a way of spewing rubbish, you're level of knowledge dictates that you are a liar and you were not a muslim. [Fourth bad example...that renders you a spaz]
These people are pathetic. Why upset millions of innocent people in the first place? I bet the creators would be furious if I invented a group that orders people to piss on their dead moms grave day.
Reply 134
that facebook page is amazing, fair play to the guy who came up with it

so what if we piss off the muslims, we shouldn't be scared at them, we're beating them in war and any way we can show we're not scared of them has got to be good, they're not better than us in any way
Singh_2
How did you go from so much neg to pos rep?

Because someone with an incredible amount of pointless positive rep finally came to their senses.
PGtips92
If you don't believe religious views should be subject to criticism, you are quite simply a fascist.

Religion is not democracy, people don't have a say they just follow. That is if they want to follow. They are either a muslim or they're not. No one is forcing them. Hence, criticism should not be subject to religion and I am not a fascist.
Damn, Islam should just man up and take things like this on the chin, it might earn it abit of repect (Although i supose i will now be hounded by Muslims that religion does not have to be respected)
Genocidal
These people are pathetic. Why upset millions of innocent people in the first place? I bet the creators would be furious if I invented a group that orders people to piss on their dead moms grave day.

How can you compare the two? That's ridiculous.
maximusbarr
You are not helping and more to the fact you are an outright idiot. There's no need to say offensive things like that. If you are going to post, make sure its constructive and does not come out your rear-hole :mad:

Just for that post I'll add a small child and a golden shower to the equation.

Latest

Trending

Trending