Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    YES! I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M SAYING THIS! This is the first time my school has closed for snow since it opened 20 years ago! woooooooooooo :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Loves myself a snowday

Sent home early yesterday (by 2 hours!! Result! )

Don't have any lessons anyway tomorrow so this week's looking pretty good for me... currently ignoring the mounting pile of work however- really not the best idea but heyho

ReputationRep:
    We've got 15 inches at home, and at school it'll just be sheet ice (plus whatever snow fell overnight) on the road we have to cross between buildings. The council refuses to grit it. :mad: It's a dangerous enough street at the best of times, with parents parking all over the place (2 people nearly got knocked down last Friday), I don't fancy taking hours to get to school to be wiped out by a skidding Range Rover. :rolleyes:

My school never closes. Never. The closest they ever got was January when they were turning people round at the door and sending them straight back to parents, but they stayed open for anyone who couldn't be picked up.

Although they have cancelled Year 8 parents' evening tonight.

SEVERE WEATHER - As is our policy, the school will always remain open even if the weather is severe. Parents please use your discretion over whether it is safe for your daughter to travel to and from school, dependent on weather conditions in your local area. The bus companies are our advisors on the state of the roads and they will make the final decision about whether they will run.

ReputationRep:
    Our school never closes because so many people claim free school meals - they don't want people to miss out of possibly their only decent, hot meal of the day. We have however been starting an hour later than usual and getting let out an hour early.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    College was open so far this week. Snow isn't too bad (well, since I went in the car). But I don't think I would have benefitted much had my college closed. Parents evening for A2s were cancelled last night... Despite fresh snow today, it still remained open, but according to the weather, it maybe open rest this week I think... light snow according to BBC.

ReputationRep:
    Most schools and my University is closed here, the snow is unbelievable....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I read on the BBC website that South Yorkshire is one of the worst hit by the snow in England. I thought it was bad yesterday, but I've just looked at my photo from yesterday and the snow is so much worse today. It's looking beautiful though.

ReputationRep:
    Just been announced schools closed tomorrow aswell!
    I've only got two lessons tomorrow anyways so it's all good
    Atleast 13 inches here now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skenny7)
    LMFAO! Your school was founded by Hitler?
    Wow. That's actually quite terrifying.
    Where do you come from? :O
    :erm:

Not really. :nah:

It was a joke.

I meant that our college principal is strict and ruthless like Hitler, because my college has never been closed in years.

I would doubt that 'real Hitler' founded any schools. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    It was a mess today, we got to school and the time it was going to close kept getting changed to earlier and earlier I went to first period, stayed through a free period for form 3rd period, got to form and then got told we could leave when we wanted, when originally it was going to close at 1.

ReputationRep:
    No. There is no snow where i live. It is very cold though

My university has cancelled all classes until the end of the week, and the union and library are shutting early.

(Original post by bigmo7)
    I've got a friend from my undergrad years who works in Sheffield now. He put pics up on Facebook which were just insane, and apparently only 7 out of 150 people in his company actually made it in today :teehee:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Today, my former secondary school and primary school closed in my town, as did other schools, but not my college!!!!! and also I think we had a false fire alarm in the middle of the day hahaha... but still. I really wish it will shut soon, although I won't benefit from it - nice to have a day off as a break or something!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.