Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should terrorist be tortured to save innocent lifes? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    Sleep deprivation, regardless, is still torture(mentally and physically), because it causes the victim extreme distress.

Take it a step further, and any kind of 24 hour interrogation that takes place at a police station can cause extreme distress. It is meant to pressure the victim to the extreme, so is that torture too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Yes but we are the baddies for what reason? They simply have not stopped and thought about what they are saying. They simply think "We are being attacked, therefore the person doing the attacking is the baddie!" without questioning whether it is a good thing to harbour Al Qaeda or not.
    They set out to force people to do their bidding, that hardly sounds a noble cause.
    What do they want revenge for? They were hiding people who attacked the US...So what did they expect or more to the point, did they think at all? Probably not.
    In my eyes they are lesser human beings. But so are rapists, murderers, racists and so on.
    You seem to think that torturing would be done to fulfil some twisted desire rather than to help save truly innocent people. I don't believe torturing shows panic. Torturing shows that the nation will do everything in its power to save its people. That is a good thing, not to do so shows a dangerous and exploitable weakness.

Have you seen the film Unthinkable?
    Plus may I ask as to why you were in solitary confinement? And why would you not wish it upon someone who as guilty of a crime and by doing so you could save lives? Does that not make you selfish for not wanting to shoulder the difficult burden in order to save lives?
    The thing is, I completely agree with everything you're saying but I'm trying so hard to see the good in people, and understand terrorism from their POV. I don't at all think torturing people would be done to fulfil some twisted desire. To quote Simon Cowell's awful cliche; my heart wants to rip the fcukers to shreds, even if they've just been involved with terrorism and if they've got information about a bomb then everything should be done to stop it going off, but my head says that we as a nation may have more problems if we go down this route. Suppose someone was innocent? Suppose the spook got carried away with the torture and the suspect was maimed for life - his country would take revenge. I just don't think that anyone has the right to inflict pain on someone else, no matter what they have done. Easiest thing to do - release the terrorist into the public with "terrorist" tattooed on his forehead and let nature take it's course...
    And no I haven't seen the unthinkable, what's it about?
    I was in solitary confinement when I was sectioned, and it's probably one of the worst experiences in my life. It was only for 2 weeks but I spoke to no-one. I wasn't mad but being in solitary almost turned me! I had nothing to do, no books, no paper, no games, no telly, no magazines - just myself and my situation for 2 whole weeks.
    And also, I would always take the burden for saving someone's life - I'm just like that, I'd like to think that should a gun be pointed at someones chest, I would stand in front of it and take the bullet myself, I'd certainly do whatever it takes to save someone else's life - even if it were a murderer. So no, I don't think I'm being selfish; I just know how much things like torture can affect a man - look at the cases PTSD in the forces...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I'd like to hear you say that again when it is you/your family who is the party who might hold information.
    If someone in my family was in the Taleban I would not feel as much empathy for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    But, his comment was based on your comment which was based on whether torture works. So, it is pretty obvious that Renal was discussing that.
    It wasn't 'obvious' at all, since my comment never made an argument regarding whether torture works. My comment was on the availability of material on torture- I never made an argument one way or the other regarding whether torture works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    If someone in my family was in the Taleban I would not feel as much empathy for him.
    They might be part of a more domestic terrorist organization e.g. animal rights movement, or some other cause (perhaps one you agree with) where someone you/your family are remotely connected to may or may not be planning something violent.

Even if your family member was guilty - would you condone torture then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    They might be part of a more domestic terrorist organization e.g. animal rights movement, or some other cause (perhaps one you agree with) where someone you/your family are remotely connected to may or may not be planning something violent.

Even if your family member was guilty - would you condone torture then?
    The only sort of terrorists I am concerned about are the ones that might blow up a train in my city tomorrow. If I was in government I would vote for it to be used on them.

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    Hell yes, we need some kind of weapon.They can kill men, women, children, the elderly, and the infirm. Only to get sent to a detention centre, or extradited to the own country to party and get worshiped. We have bark but no bite.Our rules of engagement deny us hittin mosques and the terrorists use this.We have so much beuracracy surrounding terrorist. Questioning. FOOLISHNESS.I could get it done with jump leads plyers and some waterboarding.Rant powering down.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't have to torture no matter what. And the UK governments meant to be against torture methods in any way.
    You should just leave them to rot in prisons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ***Frann***)
    The thing is, I completely agree with everything you're saying but I'm trying so hard to see the good in people, and understand terrorism from their POV. I don't at all think torturing people would be done to fulfil some twisted desire. To quote Simon Cowell's awful cliche; my heart wants to rip the fcukers to shreds, even if they've just been involved with terrorism and if they've got information about a bomb then everything should be done to stop it going off, but my head says that we as a nation may have more problems if we go down this route. Suppose someone was innocent? Suppose the spook got carried away with the torture and the suspect was maimed for life - his country would take revenge. I just don't think that anyone has the right to inflict pain on someone else, no matter what they have done. Easiest thing to do - release the terrorist into the public with "terrorist" tattooed on his forehead and let nature take it's course...
    And no I haven't seen the unthinkable, what's it about?
    I was in solitary confinement when I was sectioned, and it's probably one of the worst experiences in my life. It was only for 2 weeks but I spoke to no-one. I wasn't mad but being in solitary almost turned me! I had nothing to do, no books, no paper, no games, no telly, no magazines - just myself and my situation for 2 whole weeks.
    And also, I would always take the burden for saving someone's life - I'm just like that, I'd like to think that should a gun be pointed at someones chest, I would stand in front of it and take the bullet myself, I'd certainly do whatever it takes to save someone else's life - even if it were a murderer. So no, I don't think I'm being selfish; I just know how much things like torture can affect a man - look at the cases PTSD in the forces...
    Taliban's POV: We want more power.
    They don't have to see themselves as some kind of morally upstanding citizen. They just want to get more power, simple as that, regardless of whether that is morally right or wrong.
    His country though wouldn't take revenge. Why? Because to be a suspected terrorist, you would have to have done a lot to instigate the states suspicion.

Watch unthinkable - it is about this very topic & it's a great film.

Well maybe that situation would be ideal for people with ****ed up morals? To be honest I don't think anything will change a terrorists POV, but if some info can help save lives, anything done to get said info is worth it.

Ask yourself: Is everyone worth saving? I mean really, why save someone who is choosing to be a burden to society and kill innocents. Why is his life worth saving? But look at it from this point of view: You either have to torture him, a self-confessed terrorist, or let 1 million people die. Which would you do?

ReputationRep:
    For those who justifies the use of torture, really tells you how much terrorists have achived in turning our own citizens against each other.

Hats off for al qaeda.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. What a horrific thing to suggest, information can be gained in many other ways and it would probably end up being counter-productive anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackknight)
    Or should i say should a terrorist be tourted for information that could safe your family member ?

if not

what rights do you think a terrorist should have ?
    should you be tortured because someone thinks it will save innocent lives?

suspect the answer of most people to this question will be quite different....

ReputationRep:
    The debate over whether it is right or wrong is irrelevant. Torture is counter productive and does not bring out accurate confessions from people. They will say anything to ease the pain. Some torture victims even started believing their own lies so great was their torment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    The debate over whether it is right or wrong is irrelevant. Torture is counter productive and does not bring out accurate confessions from people. They will say anything to ease the pain. Some torture victims even started believing their own lies so great was their torment.
    You torture for information. They understand this. If you state wrong information, you're going to be? Tortured! So, no they won't say anything to ease the pain. Everybody talks, it's just that some take longer than others. Can you provide any evidence to suggest that (referring to your last statement)? Torture does work, it does provide information. Is it morally right though? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    You torture for information. They understand this. If you state wrong information, you're going to be? Tortured! So, no they won't say anything to ease the pain. Everybody talks, it's just that some take longer than others. Can you provide any evidence to suggest that (referring to your last statement)? Torture does work, it does provide information. Is it morally right though? :dontknow:
    Most of my sources are from magazines I read some time ago so it might take a while to produce that concrete evidence you need

Do you have evidence of the opposite side of the argument? i'm prepared to accept that torture is useful but I have yet to see compelling cases of this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.