Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is bullfighting the sickest spectacle on earth? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    what are you on about? the op asked whether bullfighting was the sickest spectacle on earth, and i stated something is which is more sick. And yes people do do that, which is disgusting
    Whatever flower you just want to find something more disgusting 'cause you like bull fighting

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry I am against bullfighting but, that picture is taking it too far, posting up something that shows someone being disfigured is not acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Recent statistics show that the majority of Spaniards have little to no interest in it. I'm starting to think it's more of a tourist thing.

The argument that "it's their culture" is irrelevant. Culture doesn't excuse cruelty. And again, since the majority of Spaniards now have little to no interest in it--what's there to "culturally" value?

It's on its way to being banned. Give it 10-20 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebbson)
    This just simply isn't true, google the definition of consciousness. Thought is an act of consciousness, not consciousness itself. When I feel pain I am conscious of it, but it is not a thought. I'm not saying animals have thoughts about things in the same way we do but they certainly have feelings and urges, which count as consciousness. Plants do not have a central nervous system and so can't process feeling and urges. All animals that have central nervous systems have consciousness. Humans are animals too, you know. We just have more advanced brains and so a more advanced consciousness. Plants don't have a central nervous system and so don't have consciousness and don't feel pain in any sense that humans or other animals do.
    Actually they do, and they do feel pain by any reasonable definition of the word pain. There was a paper published on it the other day and we even discussed its implications on TSR.

You are only conscious of something when you think about it and are aware of what you are doing. If you simply act on instinct because of pain, fear, hunger etc, we say you are acting "unconsciously". You see how unconscious != conscious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eldedu)
    You got repped for that, especially the first bit of the last paragraph.
    Could you please explain to me why I was repped? I honestly don't understand why that last bit was particularly offensive. Cheers

To continue with the topic,

(Original post by nadiasarah)

The argument that "it's their culture" is irrelevant. Culture doesn't excuse cruelty. And again, since the majority of Spaniards now have little to no interest in it--what's there to "culturally" value?
    Arguing that culture is not an excuse for cruelty is a paradoxical statement since culture is what determines what cruelty is. People seem to forget that slavery and other practices considered horrendous today used to be considered perfectly normal by most civilisations at one time or another. Even Aristotle justified its existence, yet no one can say the Ancient Greeks were not a highly sophisticated people. Although being too relativistic can lead to several problems, we shouldn't be too quick to dismiss anything as savage cruelty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xnatalie01x)
    Enough rubbish about how animals aren't equal to humans, what a stupid thing to say.
    Hahahahahahahahahaha...

Oh, irony is alive and well.

ReputationRep:
    The argument that "it's their culture" is irrelevant. Culture doesn't excuse cruelty.
    It excuses the perception of cruelty from outsiders. I don't eat dog because, frankly, I find the idea revolting; that doesn't mean I bother about other people, who were brought up in a different culture, doing it.

And again, since the majority of Spaniards now have little to no interest in it--what's there to "culturally" value?
    In Britain, the number of people who go to the theatre regularly is tiny, for the opera is it miniscule. Few have been to the National Galleries, or the Tate Modern - and I doubt even the majority of Londoners have been to the British Museum. The point here is that there is more to culture than populist number-crunching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    what are you on about? the op asked whether bullfighting was the sickest spectacle on earth, and i stated something is which is more sick. And yes people do do that, which is disgusting
    Child rape (well rape in general) is generally illegal universally and to my knowledge forms no part of a country's entertainment culture. The OP wasn't asking what was the sickest thing on Earth, but questioning how such a 'spectacle' was legal and largely accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    Could you please explain to me why I was repped? I honestly don't understand why that last bit was particularly offensive. Cheers

To continue with the topic,

Arguing that culture is not an excuse for cruelty is a paradoxical statement since culture is what determines what cruelty is. People seem to forget that slavery and other practices considered horrendous today used to be considered perfectly normal by most civilisations at one time or another. Even Aristotle justified its existence, yet no one can say the Ancient Greeks were not a highly sophisticated people. Although being too relativistic can lead to several problems, we shouldn't be too quick to dismiss anything as savage cruelty.
    Misunderstanding. I pos repped you for that. Not neg.

ReputationRep:
    Recent statistics show that the majority of Spaniards have little to no interest in it. I'm starting to think it's more of a tourist thing.

It's on its way to being banned. Give it 10-20 years.
    You're starting to think it's a tourist thing. Based on what?

Actually it's entirely relevant. Although (as I say for the umpteenth time) the violence of it is unnecessary bullfighting at it's core is a part of Spanish identity and cannot be banned for this reason. Modified to something less cruel, yes, but banned no, for the same reason you can enforce anti-cruelty laws regarding farming but you can't ban Sunday roasts.

ReputationRep:
    Barely any of you are Spanish -_- I find it so ironic that everyone has this mortal fear of other countries getting involved in our politics, like sharia law, and then turn around and tell others they should be like us.

ReputationRep:
    The title of this thread should be 'Is bullfighting the sickest spectacle on earth that is caused by humans. There are all sorts of sick and twisted things that go on in the animal kingdom, like this. Watch the video, it's fun.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Duck baiting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/duck-baiting

ReputationRep:
    poor bulls ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueJoker)
    Barely any of you are Spanish -_- I find it so ironic that everyone has this mortal fear of other countries getting involved in our politics, like sharia law, and then turn around and tell others they should be like us.
    Good point.

If a Pakistani user had started this thread saying how British secularism had no place in the 21st century world, there'd be an outrage. And yet it's not really that different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eldedu)
    Misunderstanding. I pos repped you for that. Not neg.
    Haha I hadn't realised reps could be positive Thanks

Anyway
    I remember a few years ago this girl in my class was a young eco activist, and she would lament to no end the fate of the polar bear, which she found to be the creature most worthy of respect in the entire galaxy. Then this guy showed her a picture of two polar bears feasting on the carcass of an otter of some sort (the remains were so mangled I could barely tell what it was). The ice was soaked in blood and covered in intestines. Needless to say the girl stopped attending greenpeace rallies.
    Yeah so the moral of this story is that saving animals because you find them cute or otherwise interesting is a bad idea. Everyone weeps for the bears and bunnies, but if one day the kalahari desert slug or whatever ugly creature starts disappearing nobody will really care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Actually they do, and they do feel pain by any reasonable definition of the word pain. There was a paper published on it the other day and we even discussed its implications on TSR.

You are only conscious of something when you think about it and are aware of what you are doing. If you simply act on instinct because of pain, fear, hunger etc, we say you are acting "unconsciously". You see how unconscious != conscious?
    Got a link? I've never heard of a plant with a central nervous system. Until you show me otherwise, I'm not going to accept plants feel pain.

I think, fundamentally, I disagree with your definition of consciousness. You seem to think that being able to make decisions and have understanding is necessary to being conscious, and I don't agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellrosk)
    Child rape (well rape in general) is generally illegal universally and to my knowledge forms no part of a country's entertainment culture. .
    Well duhhh :dunce:

you're not getting what im trying to say so im going to just ignore you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    Whatever flower you just want to find something more disgusting 'cause you like bull fighting
    **** you ***** :mfing:

ReputationRep:
    It's definetely in the top ten :cry:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.