The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are police allowed to punch you in the face?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Bonged.
Students aren't paid to ensure the well-being of the public. Cops are. So they shouldn't attack them.

However students are citizens of the United Kingdom and as citizens do have a duty to behave within the law.

When you step outside of the law the police will deal with you.
Original post by Bonged.
Have you heard of kettling? Have you been to a demo?

Not no policing, just no state sanctioned violence.

Yes, Yes.

Kettling is a superb idea for crowed control. The basic idea is to keep you in one spot.
No police officer is given the right to attack anyone, in any form.
But they damn well have the right if it means preventing wider violence, and them selves being hurt.

What would you do if someone tried to punch you in the face, and you could not move? Stand there and take it....?
Reply 122
Original post by toofaforu
not really ridiculous at all...your pic looks like one. nothing if you were, if anything it'd raise my view of you.

I'm at oxford. Thats a picture from matriculation.
Original post by lonelykatana
Yes, Yes.

Kettling is a superb idea for crowed control. The basic idea is to keep you in one spot.
No police officer is given the right to attack anyone, in any form.
But they damn well have the right if it means preventing wider violence, and them selves being hurt.

What would you do if someone tried to punch you in the face, and you could not move? Stand there and take it....?

Kettling is not a superb idea. All it does is wind people up.
And I think you should ask that bottom question to the protestors. Considering thats what they had to face from the police.
Reply 124
Original post by WelshBluebird
And I think you should ask that bottom question to the protestors. Considering thats what they had to face from the police.

It lets them boil up untill they peak and then calm down so they can be released hence 'kettling'.

What do you suggest the police do? Let violent criminals just wander around doing as they please? May lend them some equipment to help them smash up windows? Maybe park a few police cars around to vandalize? What about sacrifice a police officer and chuck them into the mob?

And what else do you suggest? Letting protesters go where they want? do what they want?
Look at what happened when they allowed that.

Believe it or not, the police are perfectly reasonable untill some idiot starts to be, well an idiot. At that point they WILL deal with that person, and so they should.
At that point, other idiots in the crowed tend to over react, even when they know very little about the situation they them selves are in. Leading to more, and more unrest.

Like it or not, its the only way to keep protests under some sort of control.
They simple can not stand there allowing people to be violent, abusive and break the law.
Original post by obins
It lets them boil up untill they peak and then calm down so they can be released hence 'kettling'.

What do you suggest the police do? Let violent criminals just wander around doing as they please? May lend them some equipment to help them smash up windows? Maybe park a few police cars around to vandalize? What about sacrifice a police officer and chuck them into the mob?

But that is where you get it wrong. People do not calm down. People get angry. People start getting violent (as we have seen in these protests, and in other ones where kettling has been used).

I don't know what the police should do (if I did then I would quite uni now and get a nice paycheck). But I'm sure as hell know that kettling is not the answer to protests like this. It only acts to wind people up and cause violence.

Original post by lonelykatana
Like it or not, its the only way to keep protests under some sort of control.
They simple can not stand there allowing people to be violent, abusive and break the law.

But quite often, people were not being violent before the kettle. The kettle was what created the violence.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 127
But that is where you get it wrong. People do not calm down. People get angry. People start getting violent (as we have seen in these protests, and in other ones where kettling has been used).

I don't know what the police should do (if I did then I would quite uni now and get a nice paycheck). But I'm sure as hell know that kettling is not the answer to protests like this. It only acts to wind people up and cause violence.

Well experiance, evidence and events say you are wrong but I guess some kid from Wales probably does know more about policing and violent disorder than say the top brass of the metropolitan police.

But quite often, people were not being violent before the kettle. The kettle was what created the violence.

Maybe thats correct.
But like I said, what the hell would happen if they were free to run riot?
Original post by obins
Well experiance, evidence and events say you are wrong but I guess some kid from Wales probably does know more about policing and violent disorder than say the top brass of the metropolitan police.

Look at any protest that has been kettled. Violence has occured after the kettle has formed.
In any case, this is kind of ignoring the point of the thread.
Kettling is borderline illegal and inhumane (especially in these conditions).
Punching a protestor in the face surely is illegal full stop (assuming it isn't self defence).
Reply 130
Look at any protest that has been kettled. Violence has occured after the kettle has formed.
In any case, this is kind of ignoring the point of the thread.
Kettling is borderline illegal and inhumane (especially in these conditions).
Punching a protestor in the face surely is illegal full stop (assuming it isn't self defence).

Remind me again - Whats your legal training?
Original post by toofaforu
i'd love to go to the protests and no do anything but laugh at the popo for how **** their job is, how badly paid they are, and how pathetic their lives are. it would give me great satisfaction to see their faces.

Ouch.
Original post by obins
Remind me again - Whats your legal training?

Basic common sense.
I'm not going to bother posting again.
I just don't see how so many people can justify police violence and inhumane tactics like kettling.
Reply 133
Basic common sense.
I'm not going to bother posting again.
I just don't see how so many people can justify police violence and inhumane tactics like kettling.

So what you trying to avoid saying is none?
Original post by obins

Just forget it Obins, she's clearly clueless.
Reply 135
Yeah, but it's illegal for them to kettle you (doesn't stop them tho).
Original post by obins

I don't think that matters tbh.
The argument about kettling is going through the courts, if it was such a black and white case, surely it would have been thown out already?
I can understand to an extent why the police use it, but surely you have to understand it can also create violence? Surely splitting people up and getting them to bugger off is a better tactic? (which is what the police ended up doing yesterday - they arrested 140 odd people, moved them away from the area, and then de-arrested them).

And no body needs legal training to realise that if the OP is telling the exact truth, then that copper should be investigated (punching an innocent person in the face).
Reply 137
Original post by paella
Yeah, but it's illegal for them to kettle you (doesn't stop them tho).

No its not.

Quote me the law that says its illegal.
Reply 138

And no body needs legal training to realise that if the OP is telling the exact truth, then that copper should be investigated (punching an innocent person in the face).

If being the operative word.
Original post by obins
No its not.

Quote me the law that says its illegal.

As I said, its going through the courts as it is. If it was such a black and white case, then it would have been thrown out already.
The reason why its not illegal per say is because it isn't written in law. We'll see what the courts say about it.

Original post by obins
If being the operative word.

Agreed. But as we can only hear one side of the story, and considering what I have seen police do in the past, I have no reason to doubt it.
In any case, this is a forum. If you are going to question what the OP is saying here, you may aswell question every single thread on TSR.

Latest

Trending

Trending