Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earl Nuce)
    Lol hell yes!

I saw his Twitter post the other day saying that he was going to be confirmed for one of the stages but I thought he was just kidding.

:woo: This will be good.

ReputationRep:
    Limp Bizkit - Bill Bailey - Slipknot, epic Sunday evening!

ReputationRep:
    This is gonna be so damn awesome, I can't wait

ReputationRep:
    As a first time Soni goer could someone please explain the stages. I know Apollo is main and I thought Saturn was second but if it is how come Bill Bailey is headlining there not on the Comedy stage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    As a first time Soni goer could someone please explain the stages. I know Apollo is main and I thought Saturn was second but if it is how come Bill Bailey is headlining there not on the Comedy stage?
    Also a first time Soni goer...but from what I can gather, they're taking a risk, doing something other festivals probably wouldn't dare to do. Bill Bailey's shows include a fair bit of music, and he's a pretty big comedian. I think they felt him too big to headline the comedy tent or whatever it is (I think Steve-O is billed as the comedy headliner, but it's his first UK stand up show, so nowhere near as big as Bill). It's a big risk billing him higher than Motorhead (I think they were assumed to be the Saturn stage headliner before?) at a predominantly rock/metal music festival, but a risk that, from the reactions I've read on the Sonisphere forums, might just pay off (either that, or the complainers don't bother with the forums like they do Download).

It's something different, it could be a disaster, but they don't know until they try. They were probably taking a risk when they introduced the alternating main stages/no clash system, but proved to be very successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Also a first time Soni goer...but from what I can gather, they're taking a risk, doing something other festivals probably wouldn't dare to do. Bill Bailey's shows include a fair bit of music, and he's a pretty big comedian. I think they felt him too big to headline the comedy tent or whatever it is (I think Steve-O is billed as the comedy headliner, but it's his first UK stand up show, so nowhere near as big as Bill). It's a big risk billing him higher than Motorhead (I think they were assumed to be the Saturn stage headliner before?) at a predominantly rock/metal music festival, but a risk that, from the reactions I've read on the Sonisphere forums, might just pay off (either that, or the complainers don't bother with the forums like they do Download).

It's something different, it could be a disaster, but they don't know until they try. They were probably taking a risk when they introduced the alternating main stages/no clash system, but proved to be very successful.
    Oh they'd complain all right. I suppose you missed the reaction to Biffy Clyro headlining where Rammstein were last year? Utter disgust, pretty much. People were hurling abuse everywhere. (Until the Big 4 were announced, of course). They've taken a few risks this year, but if the Facebook page is anything to go buy, it's working (everyone has forgotten about the whole Biffy thing :rofl: ).

ReputationRep:

Yeh I thought it might be something like that. I'm still trying to get my head round the stage system, it seems so different from DL.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I thought it might be something like that. I'm still trying to get my head round the stage system, it seems so different from DL.
    Basically you see one stage, then run across the field to the other stage and wait about 30mins (might have been longer) for the next band.

Or go and have some chips.
    Or see something in the tent/smaller stages.
    Or buy a really stupid hat.

Basically you can pretty much get to the front for every main band, if you wanted too.
    (you just have to run faster than the ickle fan gurlz)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Oh they'd complain all right. I suppose you missed the reaction to Biffy Clyro headlining where Rammstein were last year? Utter disgust, pretty much. People were hurling abuse everywhere. (Until the Big 4 were announced, of course). They've taken a few risks this year, but if the Facebook page is anything to go buy, it's working (everyone has forgotten about the whole Biffy thing :rofl: ).
    I haven't been on the Sonisphere forums as much tbf...which is odd considering I read through the Download forums quite a lot, which is at least 50% complaining :p:

It's good to see festivals taking risks like this, bands sometimes need that push up to headliner status, else you end up with the same headliner twice in 3 years (which both festivals are guilty of, but people don't seem to care so much at Soni because it's the big 4)...ignoring the fact Slipknot are headlining both in 3 years.

But then it doesn't matter to me because this is only my 2nd year of festivals so it's all good for me

IRT the stages...is it really 30mins between? I thought I read somewhere 10-15mins. If it's 30mins they may as well just have one stage as the changeover times aren't usually much more than that anyway

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been on the Sonisphere forums as much tbf...which is odd considering I read through the Download forums quite a lot, which is at least 50% complaining :p:

It's good to see festivals taking risks like this, bands sometimes need that push up to headliner status, else you end up with the same headliner twice in 3 years (which both festivals are guilty of, but people don't seem to care so much at Soni because it's the big 4)...ignoring the fact Slipknot are headlining both in 3 years.

But then it doesn't matter to me because this is only my 2nd year of festivals so it's all good for me

IRT the stages...is it really 30mins between? I thought I read somewhere 10-15mins. If it's 30mins they may as well just have one stage as the changeover times aren't usually much more than that anyway
    It seemed longer than 30 mins. I'm sure they take longer than they're meant to, and that's including the time where you're stood there getting psyched up for about 10 mins+ by the announcer.

Still, it gives you time to get a drink/go to the loo and still get a good spot in time for them to take the stage.

ReputationRep:
    Wow:lolwut: What a fail-tastic line up. Parkway ****ing Drive, Architechs, Protest The Hero, Firestorm and Gojira aside, that line up is horrible enough to qualify for Download :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Wow:lolwut: What a fail-tastic line up. Parkway ****ing Drive, Architechs, Protest The Hero, Firestorm and Gojira aside, that line up is horrible enough to qualify for Download :sigh:
    Your opinion like, i think it is an amazing line up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Two things.

1) It's a great lineup.
    2) Do you mean Alestorm or Firewind? Both are awesome so either is acceptable.

Oh yes and a third thing. Architects? Out of every band in that line-up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    It seemed longer than 30 mins. I'm sure they take longer than they're meant to, and that's including the time where you're stood there getting psyched up for about 10 mins+ by the announcer.

Still, it gives you time to get a drink/go to the loo and still get a good spot in time for them to take the stage.
    Looking at last years lanyard here and times between acts is more like 5-10 minutes. Fairly sure it is not 30 minutes. There is a bigger gap for headliners though.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at last years lanyard here and times between acts is more like 5-10 minutes. Fairly sure it is not 30 minutes. There is a bigger gap for headliners though.
    Perhaps I was drunk. It seemed to take longer than 10 minutes* that's what I meant in the previous post where I put 30 (typo) The headliners were obviously the longest wait.

ReputationRep:
    there seems to be a thread for every festival BUT sonisphere, so here we go...
    Line Up:
    http://team.sonispherefestivals.com/s.php?t=8&m=16

Promo Vid:
    http://team.sonispherefestivals.com/s.php?t=10&m=16

whats your thoughts on it?

ReputationRep:
    they've released a promo video. Looks pretty awesome tbh
    http://team.sonispherefestivals.com/s.php?t=10&m=16

****ing psyched. this will be my 3rd sonisphere, and you really can't beat it for atmosphere.

The gap is supposed to be 15 mins, but headliners normally start about 5-10 mins after they're supposed to.

ReputationRep:
    :awesome: guess that means toilets are packed in those 10 minutes though...

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if there is already a topic on this. Is anyone going? The line-up is looking pretty good so far; Metallica, Slipknot, Biffy Clyro, Bill Bailey, and Ive heard Richard Cheese is rumored

You can see the full line-up here:

http://team.sonispherefestivals.com/s.php?t=8&m=256

Also, here is a preview video for the festival, looks pretty awesome!

http://team.sonispherefestivals.com/s.php?t=10&m=256

Reminds me of the first year, when Metallica opened with Blackened pretty damn epic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.