Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Being Human does it better. "Do you know how many perverts there are in Bristol?" And it has proper vampires. Oh, and Aidan Turner is actually hot, unlike Robert Pattinson. In my opinion anyway.

So just cos girls are "sexually frustrated" doesn't mean Twilight should be defended. And it's not like it satisfies that frustration because you have to trawl through 3 long, dull books before Edward decides to give up his virginity. :lol: And the Sookie Stackhouse series is also better for that. So Twilight is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalDisaster)
    So just cos girls are "sexually frustrated" doesn't mean Twilight should be defended. And it's not like it satisfies that frustration because you have to trawl through 3 long, dull books before Edward decides to give up his virginity. :lol: And the Sookie Stackhouse series is also better for that. So Twilight is rubbish.
    I think millions of teens would probably disagree with you there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    I think millions of teens would probably disagree with you there.
    Ah, if the millions have spoken I must change my ways...OMG A SILVER VOLVO! *throws off shirt* I LOVE YOU EDWARD!!!

Edward's a stalker, if I had loads sexual frustration then I'm pretty sure he wouldn't satisfy it. Bad-boy Mitchell on the other hand, probably would. Being Human is underrated. This is the problem with BBC3, not enough people watch it. It's got Doctor Who as well!!! :lol: Yeah, I chose the nerdy path.

ReputationRep:
    I agree actually. It's like Mills and Boons for teens (although I've never read a Mills and Boons book haha :laugh:). Adults who like it bug me though. Okay I understand preteen girls loving it as they still think sex it a bit gross, etc but adult females need to get their hands on some proper erotic literature :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My mother reads it because she loves the feelign the book gives her. It reminds her at 45 of how she used to feel at 15, that all consuming lust for someone you barely know, the fact they are the first thing you think of and the last before you go to bed, how they can hurt you but you still make excuses because "they didnt mean it".

Weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Probably needed some way to differentiate them and make them 'her own'. :iiam:
    If is what she intended then she is more stupid then i realised. You can't take a legend that old and just cram your own moronic ideas on it. It doesn't work.

This is why i hate poorly written chick teenage lit.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, vampyres are supposed to be animalistic predetors not sparkly pansies with nice houses in the woods.

ReputationRep:
    What everybody should do is read the Book of Mormon, then read a book on Mormon history and then finally read the Twilight series.

You will be amazed. (Probably not amazed, BUT YOU WILL RAISE YOUR EYEBROWS SLIGHTLY IN SURPRISE!!)

ReputationRep:
    Shiny vampires = faires maybe she was drunk wen she wrote the books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spexzzz)
    Shiny vampires = faires maybe she was drunk wen she wrote the books
    Shes a mormon, they don't drink...or do anything normal people do or have any idea what its like to be a normal teenager hence she thinks rapey behaviour and domestic abuse is fine.

ReputationRep:
    It is really amusing how much people claim Twilight is not a good book. It is not very well written, but many people say the same about Harry Potter. A good book is a book that has been written/published at the right time about the right subject. A good book is a book that is enjoyed by many, whether it is just one age group (Teenage girls) or across society.

Why many Teenage girls love Twilight so much is that it feels real. Every teenage girl can feel what Bella feels when she feels shy, invisible, overwhelmed and even not desirable. Enter Edward. Someone she perceives as god (bad... I know). In the real world you could compare him to the popular kid in school. Isn't that supposed to be a teenage girl thing? Outsider girl longs for in-guy? And then suddenly he recognises her.

About that Twilight readers need to read "real" literature. What do you perceive as real literature?
    I read Twilight. I liked it. I read its sequels. I liked them (all but the last, that one is partly too ridiculus) One of my favourite authors is Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice may just be one of my all-time favourites. I read Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Daniel Defoe. I read Jane Eyre, The Sorrows of young Werther and Gone With the Wind. I read Harry Potter, the other big phenomenia in literature in recent years.
    Stop telling people they are stupid because they enjoy reading something you don't like. And don't look down on people who like to read books for their enjoyment. Life is to short.
    Outside of books, I have to read for school/university I mainly read for enjoyment, not because I think I have to read certain books. So what if you haven't read all classics? Or everything that is new on the bookmarket. Make your own "100 books I want to read before I die" list. Mine included Twilight. And also the other above mentioned books. And many more.

One last thing, then I'm finished with this rant. People say Twilight is antifeminism. It is true that it shows Bella making a choice that is coming more and more unpopular ( ironically it is her "abusive, controlling, stalker" husband that wants her to go and finish University and maybe do some other things first). But Feminism isn't about not marrying or not being a stay at home mum. Feminism is about having a choice. Years ago it was about getting women away from their household duties and into a career. Today, it is about doing what you think is right for you. Whether you want to be a stay-at-home Mum, have no kids and make a career or a mixture of both. And telling a woman she is antifeminism just because made a different decision, is wrong.

I'm finished now... ;-)

P.S. Don't take Twilight so seriously... It is a book after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaryM)
    It is really amusing how much people claim Twilight is not a good book. It is not very well written, but many people say the same about Harry Potter. A good book is a book that has been written/published at the right time about the right subject. A good book is a book that is enjoyed by many, whether it is just one age group (Teenage girls) or across society.

Why many Teenage girls love Twilight so much is that it feels real. Every teenage girl can feel what Bella feels when she feels shy, invisible, overwhelmed and even not desirable. Enter Edward. Someone she perceives as god (bad... I know). In the real world you could compare him to the popular kid in school. Isn't that supposed to be a teenage girl thing? Outsider girl longs for in-guy? And then suddenly he recognises her.

About that Twilight readers need to read "real" literature. What do you perceive as real literature?
    I read Twilight. I liked it. I read its sequels. I liked them (all but the last, that one is partly too ridiculus) One of my favourite authors is Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice may just be one of my all-time favourites. I read Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Daniel Defoe. I read Jane Eyre, The Sorrows of young Werther and Gone With the Wind. I read Harry Potter, the other big phenomenia in literature in recent years.
    Stop telling people they are stupid because they enjoy reading something you don't like. And don't look down on people who like to read books for their enjoyment. Life is to short.
    Outside of books, I have to read for school/university I mainly read for enjoyment, not because I think I have to read certain books. So what if you haven't read all classics? Or everything that is new on the bookmarket. Make your own "100 books I want to read before I die" list. Mine included Twilight. And also the other above mentioned books. And many more.

One last thing, then I'm finished with this rant. People say Twilight is antifeminism. It is true that it shows Bella making a choice that is coming more and more unpopular ( ironically it is her "abusive, controlling, stalker" husband that wants her to go and finish University and maybe do some other things first). But Feminism isn't about not marrying or not being a stay at home mum. Feminism is about having a choice. Years ago it was about getting women away from their household duties and into a career. Today, it is about doing what you think is right for you. Whether you want to be a stay-at-home Mum, have no kids and make a career or a mixture of both. And telling a woman she is antifeminism just because made a different decision, is wrong.

I'm finished now... ;-)

P.S. Don't take Twilight so seriously... It is a book after all
    Justin Bieber is good music because he sells alot, wow my eyes are now open. Brb I'm just gonna burn all my Mozart and Chopin, life is too short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    Justin Bieber is good music because he sells alot, wow my eyes are now open. Brb I'm just gonna burn all my Mozart and Chopin, life is too short.
    I didn't say you should burn classics. I said you should read/listen to/watch/whatever what you (!!!) enjoy, not what someone else says you should because it is good. I didn't burn my Jane Austen, Goethe, Bronte Sister and so on and on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaryM)
    You know what feminism isn't about? It's not about waking up after having sex with your boyfriend and being covered in bruises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaryM)
    I didn't say you should burn classics. I said you should read/listen to/watch/whatever what you (!!!) enjoy, not what someone else says you should because it is good. I didn't burn my Jane Austen, Goethe, Bronte Sister and so on and on...
    Ok you are basically saying what op is saying, that because they are popular we shouldn't criticise them. But the point is most people will always make judgements based on artistic merit and quality, that isn't something conceited or unwarrented or snobbish. The idea that we shouldn't or can't becuase we should just get off on the good feelings we get from reading is just not going to work for most people becuase most people don't have the psychology of a 14 year old girl nescessary to be that way. Do we understand each other?

ReputationRep:
    Twilight is just rubbish. Treasure Island by RLS is a good one. Frankenstein is just legendary. Read stuff like that - not rubbish like Twilight and Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    You know what feminism isn't about? It's not about waking up after having sex with your boyfriend and being covered in bruises.
    Feminism is just about having crap sex?

ReputationRep:
    Twilight is about some ugly, boring, annoying girl who is infatuated with a strong, dark, brooding, rich guy.

So, basically exactly the same as Jane Eyre, then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    Feminism is just about having crap sex?
    If you have to bruise your lover to enjoy sex then I feel sorry for you, and also a bit disturbed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Gregory)
    Twilight is about some ugly, boring, annoying girl who is infatuated with a strong, dark, brooding, rich guy.

So, basically exactly the same as Jane Eyre, then.
    How dare you? JE is far, far superior.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.