Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would improve a coffee shop for you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I has an idea. If you or someone else making this business is an able programmer i've heard from programmer friends that it's quite easy to "knock up" an iPhone app or something.

Do an app so people can come in, sit down, order their stuff through the app and then the order appears on your computer system behind the tills. Payment would be electronic through debit card on the app or something. It would be useful if people have already come in with friends to stop them having to go stand in a queue for 5 mins for another dirnk they just order it through their phone.

You'd see more spend per person i reckon...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    I has an idea. If you or someone else making this business is an able programmer i've heard from programmer friends that it's quite easy to "knock up" an iPhone app or something.

Do an app so people can come in, sit down, order their stuff through the app and then the order appears on your computer system behind the tills. Payment would be electronic through debit card on the app or something. It would be useful if people have already come in with friends to stop them having to go stand in a queue for 5 mins for another dirnk they just order it through their phone.

You'd see more spend per person i reckon...

I like the idea.

But what about people who don't use smart phones.

I know this idea would be harder to implement, but did anyone see when Microsoft(I'm not a fan, however) were bringing out the touch screen coffee table ?
    Imagine every table had that,and you order through the table,that way,saves everyone having to get up and go to the till.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    hey, the craziest thing just happened... I heard f this thing lol, like... it's like this thing it's like called like ... PARAGRAPHS!!

I realise you think you've got paragraphs, but ... you're missing the ever so essential spacing between them.
    o_____________________o

Edited. I apologise for the pain this must have caused you.

ReputationRep:
    Free coffee refills ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    I have been watching friends again from season one all the way through been two days and im still on season 5 :yep: a real marathon...
    lol wow, i did the same thing downloaded friends season 1 - 10 and watched it back to back, disappointed it ended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    o_____________________o

Edited. I apologise for the pain this must have caused you.
    You have no idea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spexzzz)
    lol wow, i did the same thing downloaded friends season 1 - 10 and watched it back to back, disappointed it ended
    Yea I am enjoying my self I am watching the London episode, and I heard the "England swings like a pendulum" song for the first time, so I youtube'ed it and now listening to it over and over before I get back to friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubledot)
    If they were damn well open until later. I come from a place where it's possible to chill out in a comfy cafe until 3AM (which was especially good for the people who didn't drink) and have really great late-night conversations whilst being served great coffee and snacks.

Also: Moroccan-themed cafes are awesome too. In a basement room with pillows and rugs scattered all over the floor, low tables and lit by those gorgeous glass lamps. The one I've been to not only served great coffee and leaf teas, but also alcoholic coffee (added shot of whiskey and whipped cream, anyone?) and really delicious Moroccan desserts.
    Hi, I don't suppose this was in London was it? I'm intrigued and want something similar now.

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like the Starwars cantina band brought in to play in the corner and for the coffee to be replaced with a marijuana tea. After that I'd like a choir of newly born babies be trained and goaded into singing 'promnight dumpster baby' to me while I lie back in my bean bag, which I had to get to by jumping off a diving board, going down a flume landing me there, while monkies waft warm air over me with giant leaves coming from heating that is supplied by alternative energy sources, such as electronic sensors being placed on trees to turn the energy of jumping squirrels into monkey-wafted-heat-power to warm my nipples.

This is no more ridiculous than capitalism. Sell your coffee shop and start preparing for the inevitable revolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    Hi, I don't suppose this was in London was it? I'm intrigued and want something similar now.
    God. I wish. It was amazing and because of all the lamps and it being in the basement, it was really warm and cosy - a real treat to enter in from the cold. It was in Hungary though. ): My sister and I always complain about the lack of these worldwide.

ReputationRep:
    God. I wish. It was amazing and because of all the lamps and it being in the basement, it was really warm and cosy - a real treat to enter in from the cold. It was in Hungary though. ): My sister and I always complain about the lack of these worldwide.
    Damn! Ah well....if post degree plans come to nothing...

ReputationRep:
    Free coffee refills :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Okay. So then remove all the Chinese, Italian, Indian restaurants and whatever else isn't English if you're going to take that way of thinking. And, for the record, the Moroccan cafe I went to was in Hungary during winter. And it was extremely popular and did a lot of business.
    No I love chinese, Indian...
    I want to see one of these Morrocan cafe's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spexzzz)
    - Wifi for paying customers
    - Sofa's (like in Friends lol) but comfortable
    - Have warm snacks in winter

pretty much what everybody has mentioned
    Grabbing on to your warm winter snacks idea, hope you don't mind

Coffee shops may already do this, but something I think would go down well would be exclusive winter coffees, e.g.

--Brandy coffees, hot chocolates and teas (just enough brandy to give a warming flavour only, not an alcoholic spine). These are my favourite drinks from a take-away cafe in my uni.

--Christmas spice coffees - e.g. nutmeg, cinnamon and other festive spices. The best would be real spices left to soak in the milk or water before serving, but if time and cost is an issue, syrups will do. I know I've already seen cinnamon around. Add a little decoration to the coffee, such as a cinnamon stick in the mug.

--Hot chocolate or coffees with some oatmeal put at the bottom, served take-away style with a wide straw to suck up the oatmeal at the same time as drinking. You might think this is a bit weird, but trust me, they go down an absolute treat - not only that, but oatmeal is nice for breakfast and can help with appetite control. A coffee which also helps your appetite = popularity.

ReputationRep:
    I would love a coffee shop like Central Perk on Friends near me!

I like the idea of comfortable sofas, reading material.
    Live music would be good too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexInWonderland)
    I would love a coffee shop like Central Perk on Friends near me!

I like the idea of comfortable sofas, reading material.
    Live music would be good too
    I was just coming to post something along those lines. :p: Not that there is anything especially wrong with the large coffee shop chains, but it would be nice if there were charismatic little places like that over here as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like the idea of a jukebox in a coffee shop.That way people can listen to what they want to for like 20p.

ReputationRep:
    -Brunches! Pay a certain amount and have all you can eat breakfast/lunch

-Comfortable chairs....with cushions...colourful cushions

-Books, magazines and newspapers to read

-Friendly, experienced staff; no 15 year olds making my coffee please

-Proper cakes. It's so hard to find proper cakes in cafes here in Australia. They're all made in a factory somewhere.

-Nice cups and glasses.

-No cheap plastic outdoor chairs!

-Some plants and flowers in the cafe

-Free stuff. In Hamburg there was a cafe near me that gave out free cakes if you were there at 22:00 or so Yummm

ReputationRep:
    Good coffee, of course. Not that I even like coffee. :ninja:

Space and lots of seating, nothing worse than having nowhere to sit and having to drink it outside in the cold and the pouring rain.

Free muffin.

ReputationRep:
    Nice tea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.