Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many of you eat food that isn't yours? And be HONEST! Watch

ReputationRep:
    a lots of people stole my milk.
    At the very beginning, i asked people permission but now i rarely do that!

ReputationRep:
    What used to really **** me off was that my flatmates used to let their friends raid the fridge and cupboards when they came back after a night out. My flatmates themselves didn't tend to nick food, but I went into the kitchen late at night once after having had several small things (bread, bags of crisps, cheese - things like that) go missing over the course of the term to find a couple of their friends helping themselves to my food.

I used to occasionally nab a dash of milk for tea, but I always left a note saying I had/ asked beforehand and didn't mind people doing likewise if they had totally run out of milk and the shops were closed.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't. Only **** heads do that.

ReputationRep:
    I never ever steal food, BUT... i have taken little bits of milk here and there for a cuppa tea

ReputationRep:
    Someone steals our food, but the thing is, we all know who it is, but the fact that other people in the flat just laugh it off and are like "yeah, we were pretty drunk then" means that they can just carry on because it's just me complaining. I mean a splash of milk I don't care about, but it's when I do a £30 food shop (for 2 weeks) and I wake up and someone has taken my fruit, half of my milk and half a block of cheese, it really gets my back up. I mean, I've told them before; when I go shopping, I go with a meal plan and I buy what I need and nothing more, so if they steal half a litre of ice cream from me, then they've taken away dessert from me for half a week, and if they steal some of my left-over curry in the fridge, that's tomorrow's dinner gone. It's especially bad when it's this time and I just have a week till we break up and other than for milk and bread, I don't intend to buy any food :no:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Someone steals our food, but the thing is, we all know who it is, but the fact that other people in the flat just laugh it off and are like "yeah, we were pretty drunk then" means that they can just carry on because it's just me complaining. I mean a splash of milk I don't care about, but it's when I do a £30 food shop (for 2 weeks) and I wake up and someone has taken my fruit, half of my milk and half a block of cheese, it really gets my back up. I mean, I've told them before; when I go shopping, I go with a meal plan and I buy what I need and nothing more, so if they steal half a litre of ice cream from me, then they've taken away dessert from me for half a week, and if they steal some of my left-over curry in the fridge, that's tomorrow's dinner gone. It's especially bad when it's this time and I just have a week till we break up and other than for milk and bread, I don't intend to buy any food :no:.
    My current housemates excuse is its exam time so he hasnt got the time to go to shops and I am basically being nasty for asking him to go as I care more about food than his exams.

ReputationRep:
    meh the odd bit of stuff is fine now and again, bit of cheese, milk, tin of beans, etc every now and again, I wouldn't care if someone used mine so it just kind of works itself out, cant believe how tight some people are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Nope I don't. The only time it's happened in my house is when a housemates friend came around and didn't know which mince was my housemates so used mine. I was a little bothered but understanding as he didn't know.

In terms of stolen food, my housemates find it funny to occassionally take all my tinned foods and bread and hide them. ¬_¬
    Are people allowed mini fridges in Leicester Accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    I've never stolen any of my flat mate's food. I once used this girl's herbs but when we were out shopping she said I could use them if I wanted to, like she used my salt and pepper which I didn't mind. Oh I have used milk once and I felt so guilty I went to the shop and bought some more straight away!

In my friends flat one of their flatmates constantly steals food.

ReputationRep:
    I borrow butter and tomato ketchup on a regular basis. But tbf I seem to be the only person in this house who buys milk and cheese and I'll restock on almost everything so for me it balances out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni yet, but I imagine I would. I don't want to, cos it's rude, but I end up eating things in my house right now before I realise what I'm doing.
    I always imagined I'd go get sandwiches and whatever from Greggs or takerways cos I'm not that great at cooking...and milk isn't a problem, cos I hate it

Only when I have asked my flatmates/ they've offered otherwise its so out of order!!
      Some of my flatmates use my plates/utensils/cutlery thats proper annoying esp if they don't wash up arghhhhhh

ReputationRep:
      I can only imagine how frustrating it is having people steal your food...But my flatmates and I agreed that we'd all have mini fridges in our own rooms (cost us only like £40 or something :P go cheap when your at University!!) to keep anything you really want for yourself. Apart from that things that you dont mind sharing can go in the main fridge thats in the kitchen.

And it wasnt like everyone jumped on the fridge the second something edible was in there either, most of the time nobody touched your food.

Anyway I find our method great; we pretty much never have this extra bit of stress on our shoulders! You guys should try it out...

ReputationRep:
      I don't and never would, only eat my own stuff, don't like the idea of eating others, I know what my stuff is and where its from, and its theirs.

ReputationRep:
      I always nicked ketchup if I didn't have any, but I shared mine when I did have some, so it worked out. Might have nicked a bagel or two as well, but replaced them pronto.

ReputationRep:
      I have taken some milk before (for a cup of tea) But I replace it (I buy a pint) left a note and never finished any milk.

No one ever took my stuff in halls. They respected my property (which seeing as my slot was at eye hight for drunk munchies is impressive)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by grape:))
      Are people allowed mini fridges in Leicester Accommodation?
      As far as I know, I don't think you are generally allowed them although I think they make acceptions if you need them for medicine.

I'll try and check to be sure for you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SirMasterKey)
      As far as I know, I don't think you are generally allowed them although I think they make acceptions if you need them for medicine.

I'll try and check to be sure for you.
      Cheers That's very nice of you! I only ask because I'm worried about food theft the thought was inspired by the 'food theft' thread....

ReputationRep:
      I caught my housemate today after he just turned on the oven and had loads of my food lying out ready to cook.

He was shocked and like "oh I thought you already left for parents earlier" and then acted as if I was cruel for saying I was going to eat the same food as he just took out.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jonski)
      meh the odd bit of stuff is fine now and again, bit of cheese, milk, tin of beans, etc every now and again, I wouldn't care if someone used mine so it just kind of works itself out, cant believe how tight some people are
      If you're intending on eating something for dinner only to find someone's taken it, that's annoying. If you have a cupboard full of things and someone asks you, takes it and eventually replaces it, that's fine.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.