Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question to girls - How much do looks in guys matter? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    You know I'm really quite worried about my memory - since I have no recollection of ever suggesting that girls don't whinge about men or that it's ok. Think you could help me out and quote where I said that?
    Am I supposed to laugh now?

I don't know if you did say that - I haven't browsed through your posts. On TSR it seems pretty obvious that it's allowed for females to whinge but it's not okay when males do it.

Again, I need to visit where you live, if all/most of the girls you know only date rich men. All the boyfriends of the girls I know (including my own) have nothing except their student loan as a source of income. Hardly wealthy.
    I think you need to read my post again.

All the women you meet in your lifetime will never amount to "most" of the female population. We believe most men are really ugly? What a ludicrous accusation!
    You can call it a ludicrous accusation, but it doesn't make it any less true. Hell, even on TSR you will find that most of the females on here believe that most men are ugly.

Granted, there are probably a lot more women who put more effort into their appearance than men out there, but if a man makes an effort, he stands a chance, regardless of his appearance. This includes short men too, believe it or not.
    Haha. Good one

Just because when asked what their ideal man would look like women come up with an unrealistic list of appealing features, does not make it a list of "qualifications" a man needs to be someone's girlfriend.
    But it does. A man needs to have most, if not all, of those qualifications/requirements that women have listed.

I'm really not quite sure where you got the idea from that women are unrealistic.
    From women.

We do know how to distinguish from dreams and reality. If we didn't, then a lot of guys would be single, and clearly that is not the case.
    Meh. Although most women aren't willing to settle, a lot of them still do if they're single. And a lot of women like having a guy around who worships them, even if she doesn't really fancy him that much. So he's basically being used as a stand-in until she finds someone better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.j)
    Am I supposed to laugh now?

I don't know if you did say that - I haven't browsed through your posts. On TSR it seems pretty obvious that it's allowed for females to whinge but it's not okay when males do it.
    Well I don't along with plenty of others.

(Original post by Mr.j)
    I think you need to read my post again.
    I did, what did I miss?

(Original post by Mr.j)
    You can call it a ludicrous accusation, but it doesn't make it any less true. Hell, even on TSR you will find that most of the females on here believe that most men are ugly.
    Quotes would be nice, however even if you supply me with quotes I doubt that will cover "most women"

(Original post by Mr.j)
    But it does. A man needs to have most, if not all, of those qualifications/requirements that women have listed.
    Right, so all men must be single.

(Original post by Mr.j)
    From women.
    You've met every woman on the planet. Interesting.

(Original post by Mr.j)
    Meh. Although most women aren't willing to settle, a lot of them still do if they're single. And a lot of women like having a guy around who worships them, even if she doesn't really fancy him that much. So he's basically being used as a stand-in until she finds someone better.
    It's interesting how you know so much about me and approximately 3 billion other women you haven't met. I certainly did not know that about myself, I thought I was with my boyfriend because I loved him, obviously not. I thought my mum was with my dad for the same reason, but no, she's just been waiting for someone else to come along for 27 years. Great.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't along with plenty of others.
    But there are plenty who do it.

I did, what did I miss?
    Read my post again and then read what you replied.

Quotes would be nice, however even if you supply me with quotes I doubt that will cover "most women"
    Try searching on your own.

Right, so all men must be single.

You've met every woman on the planet. Interesting.
    You're not that bright, are you? Oh, and everything is not black or white

It's interesting how you know so much about me and approximately 3 billion other women you haven't met. I certainly did not know that about myself, I thought I was with my boyfriend because I loved him, obviously not. I thought my mum was with my dad for the same reason, but no, she's just been waiting for someone else to come along for 27 years. Great.
    Yes, because I said ALL women, right? Do I really have to spell it out for you?
    And it wouldn't surprise me at all, if what you call love, is based/contingent on something superficial which your partner possess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    Very.
    50/50.
    Decent Looks + Decent Personality
    Yeah it's the same for me but with girls. Too bad you can only max out at around 51.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcanine)
    Yeah it's the same for me but with girls. Too bad you can only max out at around 51.
    LOL
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    I'd love to be able to sit here and sound like a great person, who isn't shallow and for whom looks are no issue and it's all based on personality...

....but for me personally, that would be a blatant lie. Attraction is important, very important. I'm not saying I expect perfection, lord knows I'm far from. But I think it would be foolish and naive to assume they dont have some importance obviously in conjunction with other factors, but it forms a big part of it.....whether we want to admit it or not.
    Awww, I didn't know you'd prepared a speech for Miss World :flutter:

:p: very well put, couldn't agree with you more.

ReputationRep:
    It matters a lot. No one wants to have sex with a butterface.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.j)
    But there are plenty who do it.
    And plenty who don't.

(Original post by Mr.j)
    Read my post again and then read what you replied.
    Right, done. You said you see a lot of guys with less attractive girlfriends. I would like to visit that place, it would make a nice change to what I see all the time.

(Original post by Mr.j)
    Try searching on your own.
    Did, and found no girls saying most guys are ugly.

(Original post by Mr.j)
    You're not that bright, are you? Oh, and everything is not black or white
    There was really no need to get so rude. Did you see me trying to insult you? No. You know nothing about me so you don't really know how bright I am or not. You certainly made it sound like it was black and white.

(Original post by Mr.j)
    Yes, because I said ALL women, right? Do I really have to spell it out for you?
    And it wouldn't surprise me at all, if what you call love, is based/contingent on something superficial which your partners possess.
    LOL. You know **** all about me or my life or my relationships and you never will. I feel very sorry for you, if you have the nerve to tell people you don't know that what THEY are feeling is not love, it does give us a reason to wonder if you have ever felt love yourself?

You didn't say all women, but you said most, and you may have met a lot of women in your lifetime, but it will never amount to 'most women'. I can guarantee you one thing, there are more women in this world who are with their partners because they love them and not because of their money or something 'superficial'. Only when you know what it is to be in love yourself will you understand that. And I honestly wish you the best of luck with that, no sarcasm here. I was bitter once as well. So I can understand where you are coming from, but there's no need to be rude to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    Awww, I didn't know you'd prepared a speech for Miss World :flutter:

:p: very well put, couldn't agree with you more.
    Were you impressed with the speech? :congrats: I thought it was outstanding tbh... :p:

/sarcasm

Glad you agree, I think there's a difference between being shallow and basing it ALL on the supeficial, and then being honest and saying yes, it's important but not the be all and end all. /2cents

ReputationRep:
    Right, done. You said you see a lot of guys with less attractive girlfriends. I would like to visit that place, it would make a nice change to what I see all the time.
    I give up.

Did, and found no girls saying most guys are ugly.
    I seriously doubt that.

LOL. You know **** all about me or my life or my relationships and you never will. I feel very sorry for you, if you have the nerve to tell people you don't know that what THEY are feeling is not love, it does give us a reason to wonder if you have ever felt love yourself?
    Save it. I don't need your fake sympathy.

You didn't say all women, but you said most, and you may have met a lot of women in your lifetime, but it will never amount to 'most women'. I can guarantee you one thing, there are more women in this world who are with their partners because they love them and not because of their money or something 'superficial'.
    Whatever. If you want deny something so obvious as women being much more shallow than men in general, then be my guest. I can't force you to open your eyes.

Only when you know what it is to be in love yourself will you understand that. And I honestly wish you the best of luck with that, no sarcasm here. I was bitter once as well. So I can understand where you are coming from, but there's no need to be rude to people.
    LOL. As if that's ever going to happen. Most women despise short men and some of them have outright hate against short men, solely because they're short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.j)
    x
    Again with the 'most women' claim, what on earth are you basing this on? How many women have told you 'I hate short men'? TSR doesn't count. FYI, I knew a short guy, complete ****er, but massive ****. So yeah. Also Jamie Cullum, with a beautiful woman who is actually worth more than him, so don't use the money argument please.
    My sympathy honestly wasn't fake. But you know if you are going to make such vile assumptions about people you've never met, then don't expect reactions that are half as nice as mine.

OK here is the quote you claimed I did not read properly.

A lot of women also choose guys based solely on their wealth, so nobody can say that men are more shallow than women.
    If you were not saying that a lot of women choose guys based solely on their wealth, what were you saying? And what is your basis for this, if it's not personal experience? If this was the case, why are so many guys in University, with student loans getting girlfriends?
    I can only assume it is from personal experience, in which case, I would like to visit where you live.
    If you can also doubt that I found no girls saying that most guys are ugly, then I think I am well within my rights to doubt that you did. Also girls on tsr =/= females IRL.

Everyone is shallow. You really haven't provided me with good enough reason to suggest that women are more so than men. All the reasons you have provided have been generalisations with no actual evidence to back up your claim. You have also failed to explain to me, if it is indeed the case that most women are more shallow than men and only go for wealth, why so many average/low income, average looking men have perfectly good love lives.

Your problem is that you are making a point but no example. You can't just say "a lot of women do X" and then not provide a reason for your opinion. I could say that I think the Tories are the best party to govern Britain, but if I don't give reasons and evidence then who is going to take me seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Again with the 'most women' claim, what on earth are you basing this on? How many women have told you 'I hate short men'? TSR doesn't count. FYI, I knew a short guy, complete ****er, but massive ****. So yeah. Also Jamie Cullum, with a beautiful woman who is actually worth more than him, so don't use the money argument please.
    How on earth do you expect me to take you seriously, when you're using a freaking celebrity as an example?

Most women do despise short guys. My experiences and observations both in life and on forums like these gives me no reason to think otherwise. Even scientific studies confirm that short men basically have zero chance of attracting a woman.

Everyone is shallow. You really haven't provided me with good enough reason to suggest that women are more so than men. All the reasons you have provided have been generalisations with no actual evidence to back up your claim. You have also failed to explain to me, if it is indeed the case that most women are more shallow than men and only go for wealth, why so many average/low income, average looking men have perfectly good love lives.
    Well, you obviously don't want to believe it, despite it being so glaringly obvious. Truth does hurt. So I shouldn't actually bother.
    Women are a lot more critical and shallow and expect a lot more from men than vice versa. They are so freaking shallow that they judge a man's personality based on a physical trait which he can't change. Not to mention that they put so much emphasis on physical traits which men can NEVER change. Very few men put similar emphasis on female physical traits.
    Just look at what women demand. Talk to them in real life, read their posts on different forums, go to dating sites. There is evidence everywhere. When it comes to being shallow there is simply no competition. Women "win" hands down.
    There are even several scientific articles/studies about this. Go and search for them online. I even recall Bakerzoid from here posting articles proving this.

Your problem is that you are making a point but no example. You can't just say "a lot of women do X" and then not provide a reason for your opinion. I could say that I think the Tories are the best party to govern Britain, but if I don't give reasons and evidence then who is going to take me seriously?
    No, just no. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.j)
    How on earth do you expect me to take you seriously, when you're using a freaking celebrity as an example?
    That's it just ignore my IRL example.

(Original post by Mr.j)
    Most women do despise short guys. My experiences and observations both in life and on forums like these gives me no reason to think otherwise. Even scientific studies confirm that short men basically have zero chance of attracting a woman.
    Yet my classmate was never single. Not being attracted to short guys =/= despising them. From your experiences you haven't even met one percent of the female population so it isn't 'most women'. They are most likely young women as well who are not ready to settle down. Granted, women tend to be more attracted to guys that are taller than them, but guys prefer long hair on girls. There have been loads of threads on here from guys who say that they don't find black women attractive. Nothing wrong with that, it's a preference. When guys do it it's a preference, when women do it it's because we are shallow? Fat women are often mocked by men, how is this any different to the way we (supposedly) treat short men?

EDIT: Oh look a thread about short men, and yet not one reply from a woman seems to be negative. Funny that - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1483242&page=2

(Original post by Mr.j)
    Well, you obviously don't want to believe it, despite it being so glaringly obvious. Truth does hurt. So I shouldn't actually bother.
    Women are a lot more critical and shallow and expect a lot more from men than vice versa. They are so freaking shallow that they judge a man's personality based on a physical trait which he can't change. Not to mention that they put so much emphasis on physical traits which men can NEVER change. Very few men put similar emphasis on female physical traits.
    Again, example? Evidence?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...men-attractive

(Original post by Mr.j)
    Just look at what women demand. Talk to them in real life, read their posts on different forums, go to dating sites. There is evidence everywhere. When it comes to being shallow there is simply no competition. Women "win" hands down.
    There are even several scientific articles/studies about this. Go and search for them online. I even recall Bakerzoid from here posting articles proving this.
    You seem to have forgotten that I AM a woman, as are most of my friends. I don't need to talk to them to know that they don't care that much about looks I just need to look at their boyfriends. You still haven't explained to me why so many average looking men, with average incomes have successful love lives. Clearly, it is not me that is ignoring the obvious.

(Original post by Mr.j)
    No, just no. :facepalm:
    Why no? Actually going to elaborate on that? I am on the debating committee, I was giving you tips on how to debate properly. If you are going to dismiss my advice without giving reason then I will only assume that it's because you have no answer.

Now I am not going to accuse men of being more shallow, and never have. Actually a shallow person is someone who goes for looks/money and completely disregards personality. Unless you have first hand experience of being a woman, you cannot speak for us. What saddens me is that one day, you WILL meet a woman who likes you for who you are, and you are most likely going to lose her with your very judgemental and frankly misogynistic attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Well this thread seems like it has become a conversation between two people... but to answer the original question of the thread:

Looks matter but I seem to be more attracted to smarts. I mean a guy who is really cute/hot/handsome/whatever adjective you wanna use, he has to be intelligent. I am attracted to guys who look good but when I find out they are stupid it just goes straight down to zero...and if he turns out to be really smart I melt xP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newts2k)
    Is that you in your sig photo? I have been seeing that photo of this girl all over TSR

Noo it's Boxxy :bunny:

ReputationRep:
    The weighting of looks and personality is going to vary a lot between different girls, just like in guys, it's impossible to get an accurate answer. However In general I would suggest that girls weight looks a little more highly then males as they often create an idealised image of what they're after and leave less wiggle room. I suppose it would make sense biologically as a female wants to find the best mate, where as a male is more concerned with mating in general, see this is what doing degrees relating to animal biology does to you... No offence to the girls on the forum by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Your example is useless. He would probably still be single today if he weren't famous.

Yet my classmate was never single. Not being attracted to short guys =/= despising them. From your experiences you haven't even met one percent of the female population so it isn't 'most women'. They are most likely young women as well who are not ready to settle down. Granted, women tend to be more attracted to guys that are taller than them, but guys prefer long hair on girls. There have been loads of threads on here from guys who say that they don't find black women attractive. Nothing wrong with that, it's a preference. When guys do it it's a preference, when women do it it's because we are shallow? Fat women are often mocked by men, how is this any different to the way we (supposedly) treat short men?
    But it's not a preference. It's what most women have as a demand/requirement.

EDIT: Oh look a thread about short men, and yet not one reply from a woman seems to be negative. Funny that - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1483242&page=2
    What's funny is that you conveniently forgot the millions of threads in here, where women express their dislike and disgust for short men.
    And there will always be exceptions (which proves the rule), no matter what the subject is.

You seem to have forgotten that I AM a woman, as are most of my friends. I don't need to talk to them to know that they don't care that much about looks I just need to look at their boyfriends. You still haven't explained to me why so many average looking men, with average incomes have successful love lives. Clearly, it is not me that is ignoring the obvious.
    And you seem to have forgotten that you and your friends don't represent all women. And like I said before: most women are so extremely critical and shallow that they believe that most guys are (really) ugly, hence why you and other females believe that women aren't that shallow because "there are more couples with attractive women and ugly men than vice versa".

And I never said that most women only go after rich men.

Why no? Actually going to elaborate on that? I am on the debating committee, I was giving you tips on how to debate properly. If you are going to dismiss my advice without giving reason then I will only assume that it's because you have no answer.
    I find that hard to believe. And you said that I was being rude?

Now I am not going to accuse men of being more shallow, and never have. Actually a shallow person is someone who goes for looks/money and completely disregards personality. Unless you have first hand experience of being a woman, you cannot speak for us.
    I'm just calling it like I see it. And as I proved before; there is plenty of evidence to back up my views.
    And you can't speak for all women.

What saddens me is that one day, you WILL meet a woman who likes you for who you are, and you are most likely going to lose her with your very judgemental and frankly misogynistic attitude.
    That will never happen. I'm too short and ugly for that.
    And I can't really take it seriously when a female calls my attitude judgemental and misogynistic. Most women make judgemental and misandristic comments about men quite often.

ReputationRep:
    Your example is useless. He would probably still be single today if he weren't famous.

But it's not a preference. It's what most women have as a demand/requirement.

What's funny is that you conveniently forgot the millions of threads in here, where women express their dislike and disgust for short men.
    And there will always be exceptions (which proves the rule), no matter what the subject is.

And you seem to have forgotten that you and your friends don't represent all women. And like I said before: most women are so extremely critical and shallow that they believe that most guys are (really) ugly, hence why you and other females believe that women aren't that shallow because "there are more couples with attractive women and ugly men than vice versa".

And I never said that most women only go after rich men.

I find that hard to believe. And you said that I was being rude?

Now I am not going to accuse men of being more shallow, and never have. Actually a shallow person is someone who goes for looks/money and completely disregards personality. Unless you have first hand experience of being a woman, you cannot speak for us.
    I'm just calling it like I see it. And as I proved before; there is plenty of evidence to back up my views.
    And you can't speak for all women.

What saddens me is that one day, you WILL meet a woman who likes you for who you are, and you are most likely going to lose her with your very judgemental and frankly misogynistic attitude.
    That will never happen. I'm too short and ugly for that.
    And I can't really take it seriously when a female calls my attitude judgemental and misogynistic. Most women make judgemental and misandristic comments about men quite often.

ReputationRep:
    Um not as important as I thought before I fell for my boyfriend. My boyfriend is attractive, but his personality attracted me most.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understandmost of the responses in the thread.

I thought that men were generally considered to be more shallow than women and that the vast majority of people would agree with this.

In my college, for example, all the hot girls are going out with relatively unattractive guys, when they could do better.

I was actually going to ask 'Whether girls care about looks in a guy at all?'

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.