Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We're all going to die one day..so why is suicide wrong? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I guess because it goes againt every human instinct we have ever had, the main one being survival. I think it's wrong also because it is extremely selfish, putting your family through that tbh. I have felt suicidal and helpless, but I would never kill myself, because, well it's just completely wasting maybe 50 years of life you have left, which may or may not get better. For all you know, you might win the lottery, or whatever you want to happen etc. Suicide is a complete cop out, and I don't think it's weak not to commit suicide. I think it's weak not to do anything about a bad situation, but suicide is not really solving a problem, it's avoiding dealing with anything ever again. I think you're lucky that you couldn't do it in the end.
    Good Luck
    x

ReputationRep:
    This thread is just "wah wah wah" and "I'm such a hardcore pussy that it makes me strong".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoRockGirl)
    I guess because it goes againt every human instinct we have ever had, the main one being survival. I think it's wrong also because it is extremely selfish, putting your family through that tbh. I have felt suicidal and helpless, but I would never kill myself, because, well it's just completely wasting maybe 50 years of life you have left, which may or may not get better. For all you know, you might win the lottery, or whatever you want to happen etc. Suicide is a complete cop out, and I don't think it's weak not to commit suicide. I think it's weak not to do anything about a bad situation, but suicide is not really solving a problem, it's avoiding dealing with anything ever again. I think you're lucky that you couldn't do it in the end.
    Good Luck
    x
    It is as selfish to force someone to live when it's clear that they want it not. Very easy to say it's selfish. Let's see if you can disprove this. No offense but I just don't like to hear that suicide is selfish because things are more complicated than it looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BADBOY89)
    It is as selfish to force someone to live when it's clear that they want it not. Very easy to say it's selfish. Let's see if you can disprove this. No offense but I just don't like to hear that suicide is selfish because things are more complicated than it looks.
    Well, I don't really think it's intrinsically selfish, because obviously if someone is suicidal and they are not receiving treatment or help, it's the only option for them, I just think putting your friends and family through so much pain is, well wrong I guess.
    I don't think it's selfish to force someone to live, because their lives may well get a lot better, and they will have wasted it if they kill themselves.
    No offence meant, as I have been there (almost) and I know what it's like x

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't really think it's intrinsically selfish, because obviously if someone is suicidal and they are not receiving treatment or help, it's the only option for them, I just think putting your friends and family through so much pain is, well wrong I guess.
    I don't think it's selfish to force someone to live, because their lives may well get a lot better, and they will have wasted it if they kill themselves.
    No offence meant, as I have been there (almost) and I know what it's like x
    Good point. But: the more you try to moralize someone by yelling at them, the more you urge them to commit the action they are thinking, in this case suicide. The More you tighten your grip on someone, the worse the situation will become instead of better.

Life is one's own property. Suicide should be a right. Plus the life could get worse instead of better.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide isn't selfish. It's impossible for suicide to be selfish, since the 'self' doesn't gain anything from it; the simple fact that the 'self' doesn't exist after the suicide should make this clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    Suicide isn't selfish. It's impossible for suicide to be selfish, since the 'self' doesn't gain anything from it; the simple fact that the 'self' doesn't exist after the suicide should make this clear.
    It is not selfish indeed. But some people do say it is. So I said 'as selfish as' to disprove them.

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck
    x

ReputationRep:
    Good point. But: the more you try to moralize someone by yelling at them, the more you urge them to commit the action they are thinking, in this case suicide. The More you tighten your grip on someone, the worse the situation will become instead of better.

Life is one's own property. Suicide should be a right. Plus the life could get worse instead of better.
    Good point also x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    Ok, it's not selfish. But it's not exactly great to put your family and friends etc. through a load of pain, when with treatment for depression and support etc. you might get a good quality of life back and then all the pain would have been for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide is like premature ejaculation,leaves everyone unsatisfied

ReputationRep:
    Ok, it's not selfish. But it's not exactly great to put your family and friends etc. through a load of pain, when with treatment for depression and support etc. you might get a good quality of life back and then all the pain would have been for nothing.
    turn it the other way around.

isn't it selfish to keep them alive and suffering so you don't?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't wrong, but it is however, incredibly selfish. By all means, if you wish to end your life then do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aws)
    turn it the other way around.

isn't it selfish to keep them alive and suffering so you don't?
    It's not about me. In this scenario, I would be the one killing myself, I wouldn't be the 'friends and family'. And no anyway, I think suicide is a waste of a life that could get better anyway, so in the short term they might be suffering, in the long run they will have had more happiness.

ReputationRep:
    It's not about me. In this scenario, I would be the one killing myself, I wouldn't be the 'friends and family'. And no anyway, I think suicide is a waste of a life that could get better anyway, so in the short term they might be suffering, in the long run they will have had more happiness.
    how can you be so sure?

some people just lead a life of suffering

ReputationRep:
    What a depressing topic.
    Mods should close this thread imo, thumbs up if you agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabebrit)
    Why is suicide wrong? We're all going to die.some of us just want to die earlier than others. You say think of your family and friends who will be devastated if you commit suicide..will they be jumping for joy if I died a natural death?
    It's wrong because in some respects it can be seen as the coward's way out as we all have our fair share of problems in this life suicide is not the quick and easy solution. But imagine you did kill yourself how much damage do you think you have done to your loved ones, your friends. Really, living seems like a much better alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuchsie)
    It's wrong because in some respects it can be seen as the coward's way out as we all have our fair share of problems in this life suicide is not the quick and easy solution. But imagine you did kill yourself how much damage do you think you have done to your loved ones, your friends. Really, living seems like a much better alternative.
    100 % no. If I ever do such thing, it won't be because of being a coward, but for a revenge on fate for preventing me somehow through its plan about me from making the thing I want out of me.

So to say that suicide is cowardly isn't very reasonable. Let's see if anyone can disprove me.

ReputationRep:
    100 % no. If I ever do such thing, it won't be because of being a coward, but for a revenge on fate for preventing me somehow through its plan about me from making the thing I want out of me.

So to say that suicide is cowardly isn't very reasonable. Let's see if anyone can disprove me.
    Well not necessarily I mean some criminals turn to suicide to escape their impending punishment....... Cowardly much......?

Thats Check

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuchsie)
    Well not necessarily I mean some criminals turn to suicide to escape their impending punishment....... Cowardly much......?

Thats Check
    For criminals this is true. But surely not about the rest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.