Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I meant to reply to these a few days ago, sorry...

The problem is finding out where there actually is something! The teachers at my school are starting some sort of keep fit/aerobics group after school one night which I might join although I don't have the weight loss intentions they do, but the annoying thing is I finish at this school in a month so that is only a temporary solution!

I might try and find some kind of volunteering as this is the first time in my life where I haven't done any volunteer work. I feel a bit like I did on my year abroad - a temporary resident in a community where I can't really break into and properly live in... but then I had a brilliant social life and lots of friends in our international bubble to compensate, whereas here I don't. I have the added issue in that my boyfriend is still in Scotland so we see each other every weekend, even further limiting my chances of getting involved in a weekend activity!

Did you stay where you were for more than a year? Was your choir after school or at the weekend?

I really really wish I was at a university where societies were a big thing. I've gone from a very society orientated university with Edinburgh to a very low key "local" university where nothing really happens at all and the campus is about as big as one building was at Edinburgh... I think they have a football team and that's about it. There is nothing like the amount of student engagement I was used to in my undergraduate degree but I suppose I need to join the adult world and look for things beyond those offered to students.
    I found my choir through Google! And it was after school on a Thursday. You're right, I think as a Postgrad you have to look outside the uni you're at to find things that interest you. I was in the Midlands for 2 years in total.
    I was also in a Long Distance relationship during those 2 years, and I totally understand that. I didn't see my bf every weekend but when he did come to visit I basically sacked off everything to spend time with him so I understand it's hard to get the balance!
    I also did a year abroad and I totally get what you mean about the community thing, but even if it's only for a few months, doing something outside your training will make you happier and more productive in the long run!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    They were trolling and nothing more to try and provoke some kind of justification from you/others.
    I got the posts removed.
    Ah, i did wonder where the original post went!! Yeah seemed to be a bit of a pointless message they sent!

Thanks

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Operane)
    I hope you're all coping after coming back from Christmas!
    :ditto:
    Post-Christmas was definitely the worst I felt during my training year. Thinking of everyone!

ReputationRep:
    The tiredness has caught up with me. I had to have a nap yesterday period 5. Im just exhausted. Time for a weekend of getting up after 8 me thinks. Getting up at half 5 is just very very hard.

ReputationRep:
    Loving my second school placement. Feel very worried about what I'm gonna do in 2 weeks when I have to go back to the lead school though. Think I'm going to contact my training provider today to discuss what my options will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dita_parlo)
    Loving my second school placement. Feel very worried about what I'm gonna do in 2 weeks when I have to go back to the lead school though. Think I'm going to contact my training provider today to discuss what my options will be.
    I had the same thing when I did my 2nd school placement. It was amazing and I actually extended it by nearly a week. It actually really helped my confidence when going back to my main school because I knew I could teach. Even though my classes there made it hard for me, at the back of my mind I kept remembering the really good lessons I had with kids I didn't even know and it kept me going!

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely didn't know that something I used to love could make me feel like this. I really hope that it gets better once we're back in school next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    I genuinely didn't know that something I used to love could make me feel like this. I really hope that it gets better once we're back in school next week.
    What's up?

ReputationRep:
    Im exhausted. Ive worked so hard this week and not a day off. I really need to just rest but there is no time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starchild)
    Im exhausted. Ive worked so hard this week and not a day off. I really need to just rest but there is no time

I feel your pain! I'm so glad that it isn't just me feeling completely spent at the moment! Back at uni, which i think is helping a little bit as I don't have lessons to plan atm. I've got a really awful assignment due in next week though and i'm so far behind with it. I have a pile of books and notes everywhere. It's nearly midnight and i've been at this all day. Just need to sleep!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I haven't had a day off on placement since I started at the beginning of January... Yesterday was the first time I had most of a day off! Also been having trouble sleeping (well, waking up before I have to and not being able to sleep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    I haven't had a day off on placement since I started at the beginning of January... Yesterday was the first time I had most of a day off! Also been having trouble sleeping (well, waking up before I have to and not being able to sleep)
    I had trouble sleeping too. Are you making sure you're exercising? Also stretching and breathing exercises before bed. :yep:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Becca)
    I had trouble sleeping too. Are you making sure you're exercising? Also stretching and breathing exercises before bed. :yep:
    I was walking to and from school (about half an hour) but now I'm getting a lift there and back... The only exercise i really like is swimming (I can't jog as it messes up my asthma) and I don't have time to do that - I'm generally working at least 8am (when I get into school) to 9pm, with time to get back, eat dinner and quickly check things online before working (so about an hour and a half off). I live in a family's house and exercise opps are fairly limited - my room is in the loft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    I was walking to and from school (about half an hour) but now I'm getting a lift there and back... The only exercise i really like is swimming (I can't jog as it messes up my asthma) and I don't have time to do that - I'm generally working at least 8am (when I get into school) to 9pm, with time to get back, eat dinner and quickly check things online before working (so about an hour and a half off). I live in a family's house and exercise opps are fairly limited - my room is in the loft
    What about a quick evening walk? You need to remember to take time to look after yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah I think I'll try that thanks it's more the getting up too early that is bad... Wish I could sleep in til my alarm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidders)
    I feel your pain! I'm so glad that it isn't just me feeling completely spent at the moment! Back at uni, which i think is helping a little bit as I don't have lessons to plan atm. I've got a really awful assignment due in next week though and i'm so far behind with it. I have a pile of books and notes everywhere. It's nearly midnight and i've been at this all day. Just need to sleep!!

I know that feeling all too well. I feel like I havent had a day off since January. I went to bed at 1 last night and i just have to plan one lesson today. And I still need to do the final touches to a plan from yesterday. And I have an appointment till 12 and then im out in the evening for Church. According to my uni tutor we are meant to have 24 hours off a week.... I have no idea where that comes from.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by starchild)
    I know that feeling all too well. I feel like I havent had a day off since January. I went to bed at 1 last night and i just have to plan one lesson today. And I still need to do the final touches to a plan from yesterday. And I have an appointment till 12 and then im out in the evening for Church. According to my uni tutor we are meant to have 24 hours off a week.... I have no idea where that comes from.
    Maybe that's when you're meant to sleep :p:

ReputationRep:
    The lack of sleep thing is what affected me the most too. In my training year I was up at 5, in school for 7 and never left until 6.30pm, so got home about 8-8.30 most days. It was horrible and I'd never go back to it, even if you paid me! I definitely found it much easier when I started jogging though, exercise just makes you so much sleepier.

Plus, you guys are basically halfway through now, all downhill from here! Keep going
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Becca)
    The lack of sleep thing is what affected me the most too. In my training year I was up at 5, in school for 7 and never left until 6.30pm, so got home about 8-8.30 most days. It was horrible and I'd never go back to it, even if you paid me! I definitely found it much easier when I started jogging though, exercise just makes you so much sleepier.

Plus, you guys are basically halfway through now, all downhill from here! Keep going
    Wow that's a long day! Did you do work when you got home or did you make sure you finished it at school? Are you still teaching now?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.