Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I meant to reply to these a few days ago, sorry...

The problem is finding out where there actually is something! The teachers at my school are starting some sort of keep fit/aerobics group after school one night which I might join although I don't have the weight loss intentions they do, but the annoying thing is I finish at this school in a month so that is only a temporary solution!

I might try and find some kind of volunteering as this is the first time in my life where I haven't done any volunteer work. I feel a bit like I did on my year abroad - a temporary resident in a community where I can't really break into and properly live in... but then I had a brilliant social life and lots of friends in our international bubble to compensate, whereas here I don't. I have the added issue in that my boyfriend is still in Scotland so we see each other every weekend, even further limiting my chances of getting involved in a weekend activity!

Did you stay where you were for more than a year? Was your choir after school or at the weekend?

I really really wish I was at a university where societies were a big thing. I've gone from a very society orientated university with Edinburgh to a very low key "local" university where nothing really happens at all and the campus is about as big as one building was at Edinburgh... I think they have a football team and that's about it. There is nothing like the amount of student engagement I was used to in my undergraduate degree but I suppose I need to join the adult world and look for things beyond those offered to students.
    I found my choir through Google! And it was after school on a Thursday. You're right, I think as a Postgrad you have to look outside the uni you're at to find things that interest you. I was in the Midlands for 2 years in total.
    I was also in a Long Distance relationship during those 2 years, and I totally understand that. I didn't see my bf every weekend but when he did come to visit I basically sacked off everything to spend time with him so I understand it's hard to get the balance!
    I also did a year abroad and I totally get what you mean about the community thing, but even if it's only for a few months, doing something outside your training will make you happier and more productive in the long run!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    They were trolling and nothing more to try and provoke some kind of justification from you/others.
    I got the posts removed.
    Ah, i did wonder where the original post went!! Yeah seemed to be a bit of a pointless message they sent!

Thanks

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Operane)
    I hope you're all coping after coming back from Christmas!
    :ditto:
    Post-Christmas was definitely the worst I felt during my training year. Thinking of everyone!

ReputationRep:
    The tiredness has caught up with me. I had to have a nap yesterday period 5. Im just exhausted. Time for a weekend of getting up after 8 me thinks. Getting up at half 5 is just very very hard.

ReputationRep:
    Loving my second school placement. Feel very worried about what I'm gonna do in 2 weeks when I have to go back to the lead school though. Think I'm going to contact my training provider today to discuss what my options will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dita_parlo)
    Loving my second school placement. Feel very worried about what I'm gonna do in 2 weeks when I have to go back to the lead school though. Think I'm going to contact my training provider today to discuss what my options will be.
    I had the same thing when I did my 2nd school placement. It was amazing and I actually extended it by nearly a week. It actually really helped my confidence when going back to my main school because I knew I could teach. Even though my classes there made it hard for me, at the back of my mind I kept remembering the really good lessons I had with kids I didn't even know and it kept me going!

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely didn't know that something I used to love could make me feel like this. I really hope that it gets better once we're back in school next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    I genuinely didn't know that something I used to love could make me feel like this. I really hope that it gets better once we're back in school next week.
    What's up?

ReputationRep:
    Im exhausted. Ive worked so hard this week and not a day off. I really need to just rest but there is no time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starchild)
    Im exhausted. Ive worked so hard this week and not a day off. I really need to just rest but there is no time

I feel your pain! I'm so glad that it isn't just me feeling completely spent at the moment! Back at uni, which i think is helping a little bit as I don't have lessons to plan atm. I've got a really awful assignment due in next week though and i'm so far behind with it. I have a pile of books and notes everywhere. It's nearly midnight and i've been at this all day. Just need to sleep!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had a day off on placement since I started at the beginning of January... Yesterday was the first time I had most of a day off! Also been having trouble sleeping (well, waking up before I have to and not being able to sleep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    I haven't had a day off on placement since I started at the beginning of January... Yesterday was the first time I had most of a day off! Also been having trouble sleeping (well, waking up before I have to and not being able to sleep)
    I had trouble sleeping too. Are you making sure you're exercising? Also stretching and breathing exercises before bed. :yep:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I had trouble sleeping too. Are you making sure you're exercising? Also stretching and breathing exercises before bed. :yep:
    I was walking to and from school (about half an hour) but now I'm getting a lift there and back... The only exercise i really like is swimming (I can't jog as it messes up my asthma) and I don't have time to do that - I'm generally working at least 8am (when I get into school) to 9pm, with time to get back, eat dinner and quickly check things online before working (so about an hour and a half off). I live in a family's house and exercise opps are fairly limited - my room is in the loft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    I was walking to and from school (about half an hour) but now I'm getting a lift there and back... The only exercise i really like is swimming (I can't jog as it messes up my asthma) and I don't have time to do that - I'm generally working at least 8am (when I get into school) to 9pm, with time to get back, eat dinner and quickly check things online before working (so about an hour and a half off). I live in a family's house and exercise opps are fairly limited - my room is in the loft
    What about a quick evening walk? You need to remember to take time to look after yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I'll try that thanks it's more the getting up too early that is bad... Wish I could sleep in til my alarm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidders)
    I feel your pain! I'm so glad that it isn't just me feeling completely spent at the moment! Back at uni, which i think is helping a little bit as I don't have lessons to plan atm. I've got a really awful assignment due in next week though and i'm so far behind with it. I have a pile of books and notes everywhere. It's nearly midnight and i've been at this all day. Just need to sleep!!

I know that feeling all too well. I feel like I havent had a day off since January. I went to bed at 1 last night and i just have to plan one lesson today. And I still need to do the final touches to a plan from yesterday. And I have an appointment till 12 and then im out in the evening for Church. According to my uni tutor we are meant to have 24 hours off a week.... I have no idea where that comes from.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starchild)
    I know that feeling all too well. I feel like I havent had a day off since January. I went to bed at 1 last night and i just have to plan one lesson today. And I still need to do the final touches to a plan from yesterday. And I have an appointment till 12 and then im out in the evening for Church. According to my uni tutor we are meant to have 24 hours off a week.... I have no idea where that comes from.
    Maybe that's when you're meant to sleep :p:

ReputationRep:
    The lack of sleep thing is what affected me the most too. In my training year I was up at 5, in school for 7 and never left until 6.30pm, so got home about 8-8.30 most days. It was horrible and I'd never go back to it, even if you paid me! I definitely found it much easier when I started jogging though, exercise just makes you so much sleepier.

Plus, you guys are basically halfway through now, all downhill from here! Keep going
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    The lack of sleep thing is what affected me the most too. In my training year I was up at 5, in school for 7 and never left until 6.30pm, so got home about 8-8.30 most days. It was horrible and I'd never go back to it, even if you paid me! I definitely found it much easier when I started jogging though, exercise just makes you so much sleepier.

Plus, you guys are basically halfway through now, all downhill from here! Keep going
    Wow that's a long day! Did you do work when you got home or did you make sure you finished it at school? Are you still teaching now?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.