Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What car?? (It's not a FIRST car) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    So my dad's company car policy thing is coming to an end. It's got third person insurance thingy or whatever - meaning I get free insurance. (So I'd be like insured to drive anything) I'm 17 - been driving for several months already. He lets me use his car most of the time - it's basically mine - so I get a say in the car. But being a complete girl I've no idea!!
    I want a Volvo XC90. But apparently that isn't appropriate for a 17 year old to drive.. :/
    So help please?? Criteria:
    - Dad would like it to be fuel efficient (another reason he turned down the XC90 idea)
    - Low tax
    - Stylish && not what every 17/18 year old has.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

PS: oh yeah, we have a Seat Ibiza right now..
    Id go with a BMW 320d (v economical, decent cars) or something...if theres more money, perhaps a Merc E Class...

Out of interest, what is it your dads company does?

ReputationRep:
    Lol. dw :') I'm just thinking it's a bit of a coincidence that I've never heard of this college before (btw I spend like everyday in Cambridge so I know where most the colleges are, etc) and then suddenley the college is like all around me. Maybe someone is trying to tell me I should have applied there?(that's what I meant by the question kinda). lols.
    Oh ok. Well considering you live in Cambridge, the perfect car for you would be a bike . Can't really see anyone driving an XC90 in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In the looney bin)
    Aren't you as catty as ur d.p. Meoww.

I understand parents being nice, OP seemed to be exaggerating her fortune in a forum filled with thousands reading who get stuck with the £4k+ insurance costs:

meaning I get free insurance. (So I'd be like insured to drive anything) I'm 17 - been driving for several months already. He lets me use his car most of the time - it's basically mine.

You sound jealous of my "inverse snobbery" :banana2:
    I'm not being catty in th slightest, I'm just sick of the inverse snobbery on here. I got called a "rah" and all sorts, just for saying I like a particular clothing brand. Jealousy at it's highest.

She wasn't showing off, she was just explaining. Why can't people just be happy for others?

ReputationRep:
    does that mean tax is low?

why are my posts getting negged?! there is nothing 'spoilt' about this!! its not like he is giving the car to me and my choices aren't completely free.
    I'm not sure, I think it costs about £255 to tax a year.

ReputationRep:
    So my dad's company car policy thing is coming to an end. It's got third person insurance thingy or whatever - meaning I get free insurance. (So I'd be like insured to drive anything) I'm 17 - been driving for several months already. He lets me use his car most of the time - it's basically mine - so I get a say in the car. But being a complete girl I've no idea!!
    I want a Volvo XC90. But apparently that isn't appropriate for a 17 year old to drive.. :/
    So help please?? Criteria:
    - Dad would like it to be fuel efficient (another reason he turned down the XC90 idea)
    - Low tax
    - Stylish && not what every 17/18 year old has.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

PS: oh yeah, we have a Seat Ibiza right now..

Renault clio dynamique. cost from £950 onwards. quite cheap to insure and are very stylish cars. not very eco friendly but hey who cares xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)
    Oh ok. Well considering you live in Cambridge, the perfect car for you would be a bike . Can't really see anyone driving an XC90 in Cambridge.
    Lots of people drive XC90's in Cambridge..
    I don't actually live there.. just out in the countryside near there.
    I'm not really a bike person lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james212)
    Id go with a BMW 320d (v economical, decent cars) or something...if theres more money, perhaps a Merc E Class...

Out of interest, what is it your dads company does?
    My dad is in the public sector, he's a CFO...

Oo what Audi's? Because I remember him saying he would like one of them atm. Don't say an Audi R8, that's a bit unrealistic lol, as much as I want it.

ReputationRep:
    My dad only picked an seat ibiza because he couldn't be bothered to choose any thing else. So not a ferrari but almost one.
    FAIL.

ReputationRep:
    Bought that tank yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Something_Ironic)
    Bought that tank yet?
    No I don't think it would even fit in my village tbf. It'd have to one of those Mini Tanks lol.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think it would even fit in my village tbf. It'd have to one of those Mini Tanks lol.
    Haha your village needs tank access then
    Ah not so sure, the Tank v12 Compact package has terrible MPG, unless you think 12yards per gallon is ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Something_Ironic)
    Haha your village needs tank access then
    Ah not so sure, the Tank v12 Compact package has terrible MPG, unless you think 12yards per gallon is ok
    no idea what that last sentence means :') lol

ReputationRep:
    no idea what that last sentence means :') lol
    That's the effect I was going for

ReputationRep:
    Have you decided yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    Have you decided yet?
    nopee. lol. i keep forgetting to speak to my dad about the options suggested. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Honda Civic Type R
    Ford Fiesta ST 500
    Audi S3
    Audi S4
    Alfa Romeo Mito
    Fabia vRS
    BMW m130 Sport
    Peugeot 206 GTI

Hope that helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.