Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black people/Santa/Jesus on the front of xmas cards & racial prejudice at xmas Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    lol @ your aunt! when i lived in the US, my granny was the same! she used to try to buy me black barbie style dolls because she wanted me to be proud of my race and not think that blond/blue eyes were the epitome of beauty. unfo this was early 90s and the closest she could find was a brown haired barbie.

the idea of a 'white' christmas image is global though, even though the majority of the world population is brown not caucasian, and probably the majority of christians are brown people (most of south and central america, most of africa, some areas of asia, pacific islands).

i dont get why people who wouldnt bat an eyelid waling past a black in the street, and do not hesistate to buy Beyonce or Ushers latest music, are the same people who feel awkward at ethnic xmas cards. is xmas the last realm of white privelege?
    its weird because i lived in Turkey as a child and we had both black and white dolls and didnt give much thought to what colour they were although Turkey is not diverse even as children we didnt think it was important and our parents didnt put much thought to it. Actually when i first stepped into England and saw the first black child i wanted to be their friend i found them really interesting. This goes for orientals, indians and all other races really interested me. Turkish people just pissed me off and still do, i dunno if its because its my race and i expect more from them. i think tho as i grow i dont dislike them as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    If Santa was real (or Jesus) he wouldn't want us arguing over this non-issue. OP needs to chill and do something constructive of his time. Changing Santa to a black guy is like changing jack o lanterns to magenta. It's not about race, it's about tradition. Santa and Jesus are traditional figures. If you change traditional figures, they're not traditional anymore and have no value. How about I change the egyptian god Anubis and give him white skin? I mean, I'm feeling real offended right now.
    you are stubborn, you say it doesnt matter what race then when she says i like him black you get pissed off, go sort yourself out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetEuropa)
    You live in a white country, so put up with it.

We don't need to change anything. We don't need to change any part of our culture to suit people like you who choose to stay in our country. No one forced you or your family to come here. Don't tell us to change our country and culture to suit people who chose to migrate here.

We have done more than our fair share to accomodate ethnic minorities, more than any other country on earth.
    Is this like saying "we lost" when the team you support loses 1-0?
    Because I don't think you're in the team mate

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's always we did this, we did that but I doubt you did a single thing, and what exactly entitles you to ownership of the country(got a receipt?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paint-a-Picture)
    you are stubborn, you say it doesnt matter what race then when she says i like him black you get pissed off, go sort yourself out.
    I'm not actually pissed off, I'm just amazed by OP's ridiculous crusade against imaginary evil in christmas cards. OP is the stubborn one in seeing racism in every comment.

I'll refer you to my original post:

In all likelihood, Jesus was not black, brown nor white but more of an olive, mediterranean complexion as befitted the inhabitants of that particular region. However Jesus and pals have been depicted as white for millenia in countless religious images. Christianity is associated with Europe more than any other continent or place. It makes sense that christian religious symbols would look like the usual worshippers, i.e. white. Changing Jesus to make him black or whatever breaks the traditional, age old and instantly recognizable bearded figue that has been around almost forever. Changing such symbols (the same applies to santa) just for political correctness is just stupid and it's no wonder people do not respond well to your christmas cards. From their perspective, you're being all passive aggressive and trying to start trouble by testing their reaction to a black jesus. By presenting the modified cards people feel that you are going to start pointing fingers and being all angry and offended in their faces with political slogans at a time year when all should be merry. I mean, did you really think that was subtle on your part?

As for the people that have trouble acknowledging your christianity, well some of them might have been simply ignorant but the likeliest explanation is that people are paradoxically trying their best not to be offensive to you. They are careful because if they assume you are roman catholic you might throw a fit saying other cultures are ignored. Overly sensitive people like you who have too much free time make social situations a minefield for white people who can't speak for fear of offending some culture or other with even the most casual remark.

Cheer up and enjoy xmas like everybody else, religious or non-religious, brown or pink.
    i'd actually find receiving these cards kinda cool, but I would suspect belligerent intentions on your part.

ReputationRep:

YOU GONNA GET RAPED!

Seriously, I'd laugh my tits off if someone gave me that. Maybe they were too polite to do so but it was hard not to?

Anyway, Saint Nicholas was Greek and they're white so doing a black Santa is blatantly a statement about race (and a stupid, historically incorrect one at that) and hence quite awkward. Jesus and his famly were Jewish hence they would have looked Semitic, not black - again you're making an historically incorrect and blatantly racially-charged statement. When do you ever see a blonde haired, blue eyed Jesus? Or a red-haired Mary? Never, they are always depicted as having dark brown to black hair and are not explicitly European.

Also, consider the fact that YOU ARE LIVING IN EUROPE! Europeans are going to relate more to other Europeans, the same is true of any other race. If you want to live in a country where you are the ethnic majority then return to the land of your ethnogenesis, if you want to stay here then accept that to some degree you will always be a foreigner in a foreign land.

ReputationRep:
    no guys, i dont want LOADS of ethnic xmas images in shops, just a small proportionate representation. 1 in 10 ppl are ethnic(roughly) but 1 in 10 xmas images on cards are NOT. more like 1 in 10000000! white folk dont understand this issue is about more than cards or accurate portrayals of fictional or religious icons. there is no need for cards to be 100% white. if colour doesnt matter, then where is the colour?

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a ****? Who gives a **** about any of this???

U wanna black santa OP? U really want that?

Go ahead, dont get mad when you're trying to explain to your kids how he got ambushed by da police after his second stop.

ReputationRep:
    I think all those Christmas cards just look god damn awful, Santa looks like he's going to kill me in my sleep, and the rest just don't look christmassy. It's not racist the cards just look wrong :dontknow:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.