Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non-smokers: would you date someone who smokes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I guess if I thought they were the most amazing person in the world but I consider it a HUGE obstacle, akin to a guy having a permanent massive whitehead in the middle of his nose.

ReputationRep:
    No I wouldn't. Even if I found our after.

ReputationRep:
    I do. Its fine when we are out or at mine because he always has to smoke outside and i can get used to the rank taste. But he smokes inside at his and I always come home reeking of smoke and everything goes straight in the wash. I love him, and its his choice to smoke, he won't quit just cos i nag him, he has to want to actually quit it so... i'm stuck.

I don't know. I'd rather not and it might be considered a deal breaker depending on how good the deal is.

ReputationRep:
      I always said no and when I originally found out the guy i now date smoked it put me right off, over time his personnality won over and now he is my bf of nearly a year (Granted hes now quite other than on nights out) but if he did start again it wouldnt bother me as I love him not his habits

(Original post by Anonymous)
      Also: to the people saying yes, have you lived with someone that has smoked in the past(like a family member)?
      Yes both mam and dad

ReputationRep:
      I've never had a problem, although a few girls who are anti smoking have thought it a little weird when they found out I smoked, they never care as long as I don't shove it in their faces.

ReputationRep:
      Strong vanity itt. Think i might spark up to make myself feel better.
      You mad?

Seriously though, i smoke, my gf doesnt. She hates it, but if you dig deeper and care about the person behind the cigarette, it shouldnt make or break a relationship.
      Besides im cutting down.

ReputationRep:
      WTF has a Muslim got to do with your health :rolleyes:

Next time think before you type.
      Your post assumes people don't date smokers because they are afraid of their own health. Not the case in most incidences.

ReputationRep:
      I don't like kissing with an ashtray, so it would be a big problem.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by James4d)
      Keeping the habit going when you're with someone who hates it is almost like saying "I prefer cigarettes to you".
      Not quite since smoking is an addiction rather than a "habit".

ReputationRep:
      No I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
      Somebody mentioned it earlier, the amount of people who won't date a smoker because of the smell or taste heavily outweighs the "because it's killing them" argument. Sad that you're all so shallow that a mint / a spray of deoderant / perfume can't solve that issue. Also, for those of you who actually do care about the health, I hope you don't ever go for a drink with your partner, or you're hypocritical critics.

ReputationRep:
      no

ReputationRep:
      Yeah I happily would. As long as they never had some sort off stubbing a cigarette out on my nipple fetish, I would be happy.

ReputationRep:
      Normally no.. because no one in my family smokes so I'm really not used to the smoke and find it really irritating. But if I really really like the guy I guess I'll have to live with it.. providing he doesn't smoke when I'm around him

ReputationRep:
      I don't smoke, But my boyfriend does. So yes. But just depends on what bothers
      you I guess.

ReputationRep:
      Discuss.
      no

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ShakeyJJ)
      Somebody mentioned it earlier, the amount of people who won't date a smoker because of the smell or taste heavily outweighs the "because it's killing them" argument. Sad that you're all so shallow that a mint / a spray of deoderant / perfume can't solve that issue. Also, for those of you who actually do care about the health, I hope you don't ever go for a drink with your partner, or you're hypocritical critics.
      I noticed that you completely missed out the fact that they must be stupid enough to smoke in the first plae, when all it does is make them smell, have less money and have bad health implications for no advantage whatsoever. Alcohol is different because people find it enjoyable to get drunk...

ReputationRep:
      No. It has caused me to miss out on some potentially good relationships though!

ReputationRep:
      It doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't want them to smoke inside my house.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.