Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by PerigeeApogee)
      That'll teach you idiots to vote Lib Dem or Tory again.

Also, don't vote Labour, idiots. Just don't vote.
      With all respect for the right to abstain and not vote, What the **** does that do?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by dnumberwang)
      Me and my butler just had a jolly good chuckle at the poor working class peasants
      HAHAHAHA that was day making right there!!

Cheers mate that was brilliant.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      Yes because graduates in Media/Film are skilled. :rolleyes: (I have seen the course content - it really is appalling).

Hence why the government should scrap Mickey Mouse courses and promote STEM courses.
      First it will be history and politics, next it will be enginerring and medicine.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
      Raising cap =/= raising minimum.
      Basic economics would tell you that universities would not charge below £6000 unless they are a struggling university that takes in more students from lower income families. I know economics is more complicated than this... but this is the basic gist. Meanwhile, Oxbridge won't give a damn... they'll charge the highest rates because they know that they have the demand. But those intelligent people from poorer backgrounds will be out priced and replaced by a kid from a richer family. Hence a class based system of universities. A step backwards... not forwards.

Education should be based on how intelligent you are... not on how much money you have. Some of the most excellent intellectuals in history have come from the poorer backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
      If you're still simmering about it, this is very funny. It's everything you wanted to know about Nick Clegg in 47 seconds.

http://bit.ly/gMPO1G

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Qaz25)
      Basic economics would tell you that universities would not charge below £6000 unless they are a struggling university that takes in more students from lower income families. I know economics is more complicated than this... but this is the basic gist.
      Thats a terrible take on the economics of it considering all costs are covered by an income related loan.

(Original post by Hasan)
        I'm happy the lib dems are in government because they are making the conservatives more progressive. What if the conservatives had the majority? Do you think they would have capped it at £9,000? Would they have raised the threshold to £21,000?
        Actually it would've been uncapped. So I think people should be VERY grateful that there is a £9000 cap.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)
        And? Ultimately, you are benefiting from the university education, so even then, I don't see why the cost shouldn't be passed to the student.
        What about children from poor backgrounds who have just as much potential to succeed as someone from the wealthiest family in the country? Is it fair that they should be put into debt?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by miiiiil)
        Nobody on their first undergrad degree is priced out of going anywhere to do anything they can get into
        Exactly.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by kbountra)
        Will affect you (and myself) for our last two years of study. So that's an extra £5-11k to pay back
        Looks like I'm gonna end up camping my way through uni.
        ONLY 2012 entrants, it will not affect you if you are starting in 2011.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by sicarius1992)
        Is it fair that they should be put into debt?
        If their degree means they will be getting a well paid job.. then is it fair that they arnt put in debt while others are??

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Blondshavemorefun)
        Lol, one word Chelsea!!! We are going to win the league.
        I think you need to check where Arsenal are and your current lack of form.

The 3 most successful teams in English Football History.

Liverpool
        Man Utd
        Arsenal

All wear red.

Even Nottingham Forest have won 2 champions league trophies. 2 More than Chelsea and they wear red.

RED RULES !

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Teveth)
        Disgusting.

Every Lib Dem MP who abstained or voted in favour should be impeached. They're nothing but rats, and that goes for ALL Lib Dem supporters who have chosen not to desert the party.
        Labour are largely disingenuous here.

1. They introduced tuition and top up fees.
        2. They commissioned the Browne report and could easily have had this to be reported before the election so they could have responded as the Government. They knew what was going to happen and would have done something similar.

Unless Labour go in to the next election promising to significantly reduce tuition fees they don't have the right to criticise and they have made no pledge as yet. I doubt they will.

ReputationRep:
        it was expected, be assured no matter how democratic this nation may seem. politicians get what politicians want...

Blair - war in iraq, even though there was one of the largest protests around parliment for a long time.

Cameron - the cuts in general

Lib Dems - well there just nuts. sellouts and if i was them i would would enjoy the power they currently retain, if any, and be prepared to leave parliment soon, for good and forever.

peace out

ReputationRep:
        LIAR LIAR SONG - enjoy

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
          Raising cap =/= raising minimum.
          :facepalm:

"...there will be a new minimum fee of £6,000 for universities."

Get your bloody facts right.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Qaz25)
          Basic economics would tell you that universities would not charge below £6000 unless they are a struggling university that takes in more students from lower income families. I know economics is more complicated than this... but this is the basic gist. Meanwhile, Oxbridge won't give a damn... they'll charge the highest rates because they know that they have the demand. But those intelligent people from poorer backgrounds will be out priced and replaced by a kid from a richer family. Hence a class based system of universities. A step backwards... not forwards.
          I'm fully aware of the likelihood of this, but it's still not right to say that a minimum has been implemented. Certainly not by what the BBC is going by, atleast.

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
            What about all the courses that are not "Mickey Mouse" ones (what defines that anyway?), but are not STEM subjects either?
            Subjects like politics and history (along with other arts and humanities) will see pretty much all their teaching grant taken away. How on earth is that fair?
            Source for this so I can comment?

(Tbh, I think it's easy to see which degrees are Mickey Mouse and which isn't. E.g. English Literature isn't, Media is).

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by effofex)
            Arguably it is for certain courses in continental Europe.
            Really? I might try for france then since I can speak the language

(Original post by Einheri)
              Actually higher education is free in most European countries, even Master's and PhDs.
              Even PhDs? I never knew that... Source? This is actually quite interesting.

Submit reply
            TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
            Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.