Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People are probably going to disagree with this..... but the royal family are so far removed from real life and real people's issues. charles and camilla were driving in their posh car wearing their expensive designer clothes and jewellery going to the royal variety performance. that says it all really. they don't have any idea how students will cope with the rise in tuition fees. they probably don't care much either. all charles and camilla do is attend fancy events and smile and pose for the cameras. they need to get in the real world like Diana did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiBoy)
    democracy can be applied to anything pretty much, if the UK wants to call itself one, it should at the very least have an elected head of state in addition to parliament and government (including the Lords)
    Well, of course it should. What sort of a country has a Head of State who holds that office by dint of birth? North Korea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Lazy argument. What do you think of courts and common law? They're also remnants of a feudal society. Will you have those removed? What about Parliament?
    lol. I think you owned him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    People are probably going to disagree with this..... but the royal family are so far removed from real life and real people's issues. charles and camilla were driving in their posh car wearing their expensive designer clothes and jewellery going to the royal variety performance. that says it all really. they don't have any idea how students will cope with the rise in tuition fees. they probably don't care much either. all charles and camilla do is attend fancy events and smile and pose for the cameras. they need to get in the real world like Diana did!
    Diana was a whore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, of course it should. What sort of a country has a Head of State who holds that office by dint of birth? North Korea?
    Some of the most socially progressive and secure democracies in fact, such as Sweden, Denmark, Holland, Norway, Japan and Canada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    finally a person with some sense

then i read the second part and my opinion just dropped right back down. Royals or not they were two people in a car surrounded by a violent mob and had paint thrown at it and attacked. Maybe next time some of you lot will the lucky ones to be in the car or getting stamped on.

I dont agree with the fee increase i think its despicable however the riots that have been done have only worsened your cause and the media wont focus on the peaceful work you all did but on the moronic idiots who decided instead of being civilised they would become chavs and wreck the place.
    atleast i had some sense? lol

although i would like to say that i do not approve of what the students did to the royals. although i dont care about them i would still not wish that upon anyone. it is traumatic no matter who they are!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd say they do have a very good idea, as the Queen herself is known to be a very studious reader of public documents, including committee reports and parliamentary debates. And Charles has a very strong reputation of being concerned about inner city poverty and other issues, as you are probably aware.

And all the royals work extremely hard in charities, which keep them abreast of problems and issues that need highlighting. The royals, unlike politicians, aren't out to grind any political axe.

Being wealthy isn't a barrier to being concerned about social issues and genuinely caring. Many wealthy people have been deeply concerned about it, and many poor people have shot up the greasy pole and turned round to spit on their origins. You can't simply pigeonhole people like that. To say someone is incapable of sympathising due to their origins suggests that only a teacher should ever be minister for education, or a miner should only ever be minister for industry, and nothing else. It's ridiculous.

It's easy to be cynical about the whole thing and I'm in no doubt that the royals have their own foibles and annoying facets, but their hard work in these areas should be recognised. If not them, the only alternative is politicians - and we know how well they're regarded.

ReputationRep:
    Seemed like only uneducated thugs who probably aren't even students decided to 'protest' or whatever you call that atrocity yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing disgraceful. Even if there were non-students causing trouble, some students decided to join in because everyone else was.

The fact they defaced Winston Churchill's Statue is a ****ing god damn joke. Police had every right to use force. You cant single out troublemakers in a crowd like that. Flares, paint bombs and pieces of wood being thrown at policemen and even at the one's on horses. Great how we hear the stories of "I was hit by a policeman when I wasn't doing anything" coming out. Hopefully the investigation doesn't charge any officers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    Here is a question - how does violence aid any cause? Surely attacking such a high profile figure (also one who has nothing to do with the fees issue - he doesn't issue edicts!) will undermine their case?

I sincerely hope it does. This makes me support the UK Government even more now. IF this is the sort of action students take, they deserve any legal action taken against them.

They are thugs. That is all.

And here is the thing, why are the protestors saying '9K PER YEAR FEES!!!! CAN'T AFFORD THEM!!!!' when it isn't upfront? IT seems more reasonable than the current system of paying up front...so why the protests?
    well look through history violence has achieved hell of a lot...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Diana was a whore.
    why? obviously the public didn't really know her. our opinions can only be based on her public image. but she did so much charity work and as a result won the respect of the public. camilla is nothing compared to Diana. her face in the picture just shows exactly what she is thinking. she looks utterly disgusted by the riots. Yes, she is allowed to have an opinion, but what right does she have to have one on this issue when she has lived a cushioned life remote from the real world.

ReputationRep:
    why? obviously the public didn't really know her. our opinions can only be based on her public image. but she did so much charity work and as a result won the respect of the public. camilla is nothing compared to Diana. her face in the picture just shows exactly what she is thinking. she looks utterly disgusted by the riots. Yes, she is allowed to have an opinion, but what right does she have to have one on this issue when she has lived a cushioned life remote from the real world.
    Dude? Her fricking car is being attacked. I think even you would have the exact same expression if you were in her shoes.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd say they do have a very good idea, as the Queen herself is known to be a very studious reader of public documents, including committee reports and parliamentary debates. And Charles has a very strong reputation of being concerned about inner city poverty and other issues, as you are probably aware.

And all the royals work extremely hard in charities, which keep them abreast of problems and issues that need highlighting. The royals, unlike politicians, aren't out to grind any political axe.

Being wealthy isn't a barrier to being concerned about social issues and genuinely caring. Many wealthy people have been deeply concerned about it, and many poor people have shot up the greasy pole and turned round to spit on their origins. You can't simply pigeonhole people like that. To say someone is incapable of sympathising due to their origins suggests that only a teacher should ever be minister for education, or a miner should only ever be minister for industry, and nothing else. It's ridiculous.

It's easy to be cynical about the whole thing and I'm in no doubt that the royals have their own foibles and annoying facets, but their hard work in these areas should be recognised. If not them, the only alternative is politicians - and we know how well they're regarded.
    you could be right but your opinion just like any opinion on the queen and the royal family is based on the actions the media reports about them and their public duties and responsibilties. this is something that they are obligated to do. they are born in the public life and have a duty. they obviously have to show an interest in charities to gain the respect of the british public. who actually knows what they really think? everything they do is heavily controlled and anything positive is heavily publicised. we don't really know what they're like as people.

ReputationRep:

She's being attacked, for no reason, in public. Someone smashed in the car window and threw paint over the car.

Let me figure this out, do you agree with the riots?

ReputationRep:
    you could be right but your opinion just like any opinion on the queen and the royal family is based on the actions the media reports about them and their public duties and responsibilties. this is something that they are obligated to do. they are born in the public life and have a duty. they obviously have to show an interest in charities to gain the respect of the british public. who actually knows what they really think? everything they do is heavily controlled and anything positive is heavily publicised. we don't really know what they're like as people.
    I can't argue with you there - but then your assessment is the same, so I guess it's a moot point really.

ReputationRep:
    If you think so, but you haven't demonstrated why. Simply saying it's old as an argument for its abolition insults your intelligence and mine.

Continue to be so flippant if you wish.
    Oh, for Christ's Sake stop being so thick.

I did say that the Royal family is a remnant of a feudal system. But that's not to imply that everything that is a remnant a days gone by should be gotten rid of. The army is also a remnant of the feudal system. I don't think it should be disbanded though.

Stop the idiotic nitpicking and wordplay and throw me some concrete arguments as to why these parasites should continue to preside over us. Or be quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)
    She's being attacked, for no reason, in public. Someone smashed in the car window and threw paint over the car.

definitely not. I support the cause and I understand the frustration that students feel and I appreciate that this is the only way that people feel that their views can be heard. I believe that violence is wrong and I do not condone it. but what other way is there for students to be heard by politicians?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)

She looks like she's getting ready to suck on a big black ****.

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.