Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

20 year old student admitted to hospital with bleeding on the brain Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Band)
    ECHR Article 2 - Right to life. (Not the EU.)
    Yes, I'm aware it's Article 2... sorry what exactly is the point in your post, are you just telling me it's Article 2 or..? Sorry, bit confused

ReputationRep:
    Teach him to be brutish prick...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hex1986)
    Oh dear, "not the type to smash things up"...

...ever heard of "mob culture", "collective behaviour", "crowd psychology", "convergency theory", "collective responsibility" ?

His deliberate actions have likely placed others (police officers or otherwise) in grave or mortal danger, justifying him to be struck on the head with a baton - if indeed it was (a) a deliberate strike and (b) actually caused by the police. The last thing that any officer wants is to be suspended from duty pending a criminal investigation every time they use force on people perfectly legally. Their whole life is on hold, not just their jobs. It is NOT worth risking by reckless actions on the part of individual officers.

It makes me laugh how in one breath the police are slated for the injuries to protestors (but balls to the injured police officers, some of whom were knocked out, or had paint thrown in their eyes), yet in the next breath they are being criticised for failing to respond when a car carrying Prince Charles was smashed up and his wife was struck in the ribs through a smashed window...

C'mon, you can't have it both ways.

If a group of people decide to attack or rob someone, and the victim ends up getting stabbed by one of the offenders and dies, they are ALL guilty of murder - it's collective responsibility, a joint enterprise.

You do not just get "swept" to the front lines. You are there by choice. If it's going off, you do the sensible thing and leave the situation, getting as far away as possible - not trying to smash police officers in the face with metal bars, fences, tins of paint and flares.
    Interesting analysis considering the fact that you didn't even witness what happened. But go ahead and make your assumptions.

My point was you don't know how the guy was injured and the circumstances, I made no comment about the police. It just amazes me that you think anyone deserves to get so badly injured that their on a hospital bed. Can you imagine what his family are going through right now.

Its very sad that a protest can result in this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    The police act very professionally and no matter how much you like to pretend they do, they dont go charging in beating babies.

The only way you are going to get battered is if you are right up in their face throwing a missile at them or trying to break police lines.

These student 'protests' are much, much worse than the EDL/UAF stuff that has been plaguing us for the last few months, and frankly im ashamed to be part of this generation (although I have been for quite some time now).
    ...That's just your idealistic belief.

There's a lot of corrupt police out there, but then again the police were probably inexperienced in such rioting matter and were therefore caught by the adrenaline rush and started attacking everything in their path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raari)
    The police aren't the victims! I'm from the north of England, 4-5 hours away from London by car. My college put a coach on to London for the protest, and I myself along with my peers were hit by batons, while we were pleading to be let free..by this time we were going to miss our coach back home. Luckily, some of us managed to get out, but quite a few were stuck in parliament square, and had to stay in occupations for the night until this morning, where they could get help and a way to get home.
    Also, a guy who was with us who I didnt know, got pulled out of the crowd by the police, and beaten on the floor until he was almost sick.

Its completely narrow minded, for people to say the police are the victims here, when they should look at the real story.
    I'm not saying the police didnt get hurt, because they did. But the police were giving it back to the students just as bad.
    The member of staff at the college who arranged the coach to London for the protest should be sacked for lack of judgement and failure to protect the safety of their students.

It was obvious that these protests were never going to pass peacefully and that significant injuries were likely to occur to both protestors and the police. This, in part, would be driven by rogue protestors who were not students and did not even support the cause but enjoy fighting and rioting and used it as an excuse.

Violence is never justified to achieve a political end in my mind. Indeed, it is also often a futile attempt to achieve change because it lessens the quality of the argument and recent history shows much improved outcomes with peaceful protest.

A protest where ever single college and University in England had peaceful walk outs and protest at the same time would have been more effective, lead to no casualties and meant the issue could be discussed rather than the violence. A complete failure by the NUS in reality - issue not discussed fully as overshadowed by the violence and the bill passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    For all you know he could of been one of the morons throwing flares at police. Or trying to ram police with a fence. Your trying to use this at as an argument against the police yet I doubt you know the full situation.
    Since when do we have physical punishment?

And read the reports, the guy hardly sounds like a vandal, his mum was there and he text her about how scary it was.

I hope you get hit around the head a lil bit, wouldn't have to read your ridiculous posts' on TSR any longer.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Since when do we have physical punishment?

And read the reports, the guy hardly sounds like a vandal, his mum was there and he text her about how scary it was.

I hope you get hit around the head a lil bit, wouldn't have to read your ridiculous posts' on TSR any longer.
    Which is it? From what I heard she was not there. If she was not there then her speculation on what happens is as worthless as mine or yours.

He deserved it if he attacked police as the officer would be acting in self defence. Its not physical punishment.

We can't really comment on this tbh not until more info is released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Which is it? From what I heard she was not there. If she was not there then her speculation on what happens is as worthless as mine or yours.

He deserved it if he attacked police as the officer would be acting in self defence. Its not physical punishment.

We can't really comment on this tbh not until more info is released.
    You are hypocritical as well. Everything the police did was out of self defence. But everything the protesters did was initiated and aggressive.

And self defence by hitting someone in the head when you yourself are wearing a helmet. Real brave.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You are hypocritical as well. Everything the police did was out of self defence. But everything the protesters did was initiated and aggressive.

And self defence by hitting someone in the head when you yourself are wearing a helmet. Real brave.
    Again stop making judgements when you do not know what happened. He throws a punch at the officers face who may not have been wearing a helmet so the officer hits him on the head. For all you know that's what happened.

Or

Kid was at the front wrong place wrong time and got hit.

Ether way there is going to be an inquiry the IPCC has upended an investigation. So we will find out who was right and who was wrong soon enough.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    For all I know, your daddy is a policeman who gets blowjobs from prostitutes.
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Two things...

Why is he bleeding on the brain? I don't understand how he is bleeding on the brain. Is he missing the top half of his skull?

Secondly, link please.
    Bleeding on the brain = cerebral haemorrhage. Here's the link http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...n-fees-protest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    For all I know, your daddy is a policeman who gets blowjobs from prostitutes.
    Is that all you can resort to? You're pathetic.

I'd like to stand you behind a police officer on the frontline who is being attacked by metal bars/fences/fists/flares/petrol bombs/tins of paint - I don't think you'd be shouting: "No, don't hit the students, that's wrong!" then would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    But there is absolutely nothing to suggest he did attack the police. Nothing at all.

(Original post by Aj12)
    Ether way there is going to be an inquiry the IPCC has upended an investigation. So we will find out who was right and who was wrong soon enough.
    Unlikely. Despite its name, the organisation is hardly ever "independent" and is often biased towards the police.

ReputationRep:
    Deserves everything he got, love all the "oh he was trying to get away from the trouble" if that were the case he shouldnt have been there in the first place, good on the cops about time they were allowed to knock some heads together, rather than this softly softly approach used under Labour....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    The police act very professionally and no matter how much you like to pretend they do, they dont go charging in beating babies.

The only way you are going to get battered is if you are right up in their face throwing a missile at them or trying to break police lines.

These student 'protests' are much, much worse than the EDL/UAF stuff that has been plaguing us for the last few months, and frankly im ashamed to be part of this generation (although I have been for quite some time now).
    you are incredibly naive.

ReputationRep:
    There really isn't enough information available to us on this story to make a fair comment.

The impression I get from various footage, is that the majority of protesters were entirely peaceful. As with any protest, yobs will show up and be violent. There's probably been more of that with this protest, because younger people can be more violent - but I think violence has been largely over-represented in the media.

People should be able to attend protests peacefully without fear of mistreatment and police brutality. And sadly I don't believe that's the case in this country. I'm a bit shocked that people are saying if you don't want to be the victim of unsolicited violence you shouldn't attend protests. The police shouldn't have the right to batter people simply because they are at a protest.

I think partly the police are given instructions, and its a very heated situation - so I don't think it is always fair to scapegoat individuals, but overall I think this country could do with investigating police policy at protests on the whole. I think as it stands the policy operated by the police at protests is deliberate in its attempts to intimidate protesters, and to make the experience humiliating and frightening. I think that the fact people are saying you should expect to be violently treated if you attend a protest is pretty much testament to that effect.
    I would be afraid to attend a protest. Because it seems that no matter how peaceful you are, you will be kettled into a small area, not allowed to leave for hours, mistreated and possibly physically assaulted by someone armed with a baton. I would like to hear someone confidently say they would expect none of that at a protest.

In their defence, it may be possible that police have to be brutal and militaristic because they don't have the numbers to control large crowds (a proportion of whom will be violent) with other methods. It's a mixed issue, but imo how protesters are treated needs to be changed, whether or not police are to blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bufferz)
    Deserves everything he got, love all the "oh he was trying to get away from the trouble" if that were the case he shouldnt have been there in the first place
    So you're saying if a person attends a protest no matter how peacefully, they have somehow solicited police violence?

That attitude is born of the fact that mistreatment by the police is normal at protests, which is totally wrong and a bit of a disgrace to our society imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11967098

I need a smiley that depicts someone eating their words.
    This is the best we have... :cookie:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    But there is absolutely nothing to suggest he did attack the police. Nothing at all.

Unlikely. Despite its name, the organisation is hardly ever "independent" and is often biased towards the police.
    Key word IF

Got any proof for that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.