Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Strippers Watch

• View Poll Results: Is the profession of female stripping degrading to women, or empowering to women?
    Degrading
    70.67%
    Empowering
    29.33%

ReputationRep:
    I dont think it's degrading, if they enjoy it and get good money from it then why not. It's a job at the end of the day, it's just like everything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    Surely if these(and women in general) had such a problem with their "objectification" in society they would say something about it? They are the ones making the decision to ultimately "objectify" themselves, the power is in their hands.
    That's why I said it's detrimental on a wider level. They may not mind themselves, but I think it doesn't help on the whole. You're coming at it from a liberal viewpoint whilst I'm being a bit more idealistic lol. Well you could argue that 'women in general' do 'say something about it': lots women complain about being seen for 'just one thing', which is of course, objectification. Though I admit that, as far as I can see, most women learn to make the most of their 'objectification' rather than getting together to try to stop it. Of course, this is my own experience; others' may be different.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to a few strippys in my time once went to a "Champagne Room" and the women was bragging to me shes got a flat for 535K fully paid off for her daughter so theres obvious demand and great amounts of revenue. They usually make easy 200-300 a night and seeing the amount of people willing to bend over backwards for 60k a year can you blame them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony_Soprano1)
    They usually make easy 200-300 a night and seeing the amount of people willing to bend over backwards for 60k a year can you blame them?
    Whereas strippers just bend over forwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'm just interested to find out what the general consensus on this topic is. Do you consider the profession of female strippers to be degrading to women, or empowering to women?

Do you think it shows that women truly have the choice to do what they want to do and be who they want to be? Or do you think it discredits the actual person inside the body, and presents women as little more than mere pleasure objects in the subordination of men?

I've added a poll. Please explain why you chose whichever option you did.

Edit: Might be interesting to get some female viewpoints on the matter too.
    Surly those that do it feel it empowering or at the very least enjoyable in some way. i've met some strippers that say they do it because its what they always wanted to do. There are those that feel that it degrades women and makes men view them all as objects. There are male strippers aswell. Does this ultimatly mean women view all men as objects?

I've also heard of places where married women end up providing the male stripper with oral sex and justify it as little more than fun. It's those types of women you should be worrying about as making the rest of them look like objects. I find it difficult to beleve that if there husbands came home and said i had a really good night tonight, it was so much fun licking out a stripper...

So really its all down to "each to there own" ethos.

Personally i dont see how anyone who has never done it before can justify saying its degrading. Thats like a bloke saying women have it easy all the time and vice verca... no knowlege of somthing makes it an easy target to assume...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Whereas strippers just bend over forwards?
    hell yeah and majority are hardly educated to A level! There making 80-100k Cash whereas the University people (me) sit in education until 24 to start with 22k if were LUCKY! so there its not about is it right or wrong just makes economic sense for that individual.

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't say it's empowering, though I suppose it must feel quite good knowing you're attractive enough to do it (though anyone in their underwear can often be perceived to be attractive). However, dancing semi-naked in front of a room of probably oldish men that can't get any can't be too satisfactory, good money or not.

Doesn't matter to me really, I personally think those places are pretty skanky. If they earn well and can put up with the job's ****, then it's fine. Most people have **** jobs that they just put up with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdWishes)
    I doubt it's a job they want to be doing, it's most likely a last resort rather than a preferred job choice.
    But if they have chosen to do it, then yeah it's not degrading.
    i no a few strippers and they all enjoy there jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Whether they choose to do it or doesn't seem that relevant when discussing if it is degrading to women or not.

ReputationRep:
    Male stripping is not seen as degrading so why should female stripping be any different? A question for you feminists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    I'm quite suprised that so many people here think that stripping is demeaning or degrading to women.

I know someone in their second year at uni who works as a stripper. She was trained as a dancer but because of the competition of the industry, she found herself not getting regular work, so looked at stripping as an alternative. The money was amazing (she said she made atleast £700 per week) and she was still doing the thing she loved, allbeit a different form of dancing.
    To an extent we all 'sell ourselves'; singers use their voice (and use their appearance to gain attention), models are scantily clad and are using their bodies to make money, so why is it any different, and morally questionable that someone dances, without clothes on for a living? The human body is deemed by some as an art form; something to appreciate, lust and desire, so why not make the most of this and be paid?

I myself have never been to a strip club but my friend said that there are clear boundaries there. No one is allowed to grope, act innapropriatly with the girls and there is security there at all times to protect them. Of course there are seedy strip clubs and, many examples of when girls are forced into stripping because of drug abuse but at the end of the day, I don't believe that stripping is bad, and for the amount of money it pays, i'm not suprised that so many go into the industry.
    The idea is that these actions, whilst not demeaning to the individual who chooses to become a stripper, may be demeaning to women on aggregate by encouraging their objectification in society.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its empowering or degrading? why does it have to be one of the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alvrae)
    Surly those that do it feel it empowering or at the very least enjoyable in some way. i've met some strippers that say they do it because its what they always wanted to do. There are those that feel that it degrades women and makes men view them all as objects. There are male strippers aswell. Does this ultimatly mean women view all men as objects?

I've also heard of places where married women end up providing the male stripper with oral sex and justify it as little more than fun. It's those types of women you should be worrying about as making the rest of them look like objects. I find it difficult to beleve that if there husbands came home and said i had a really good night tonight, it was so much fun licking out a stripper...

So really its all down to "each to there own" ethos.

Personally i dont see how anyone who has never done it before can justify saying its degrading. Thats like a bloke saying women have it easy all the time and vice verca... no knowlege of somthing makes it an easy target to assume...
    As I stated elsewhere: the idea isn't that it's demeaning to that particular woman but that, on a macro level, it encourages women to be objectified... it's one of those individual vs. the collective questions.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I wouldn't want to do it, but that's just me. Just because I think its degrading doesn't mean others can't do it if they don't want to!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.