Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gays in the army - do it like the Spartans? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQuickestSilver)
    Just from reading this or should I say trying to (quite alot of typo's btw) I can tell you spend far too much time on the computer/ TSR; if you think this is some kind of community/ your life and friends. Also if you think the definition of being popular/ well received is getting 2 friend requests a day on facebook I feel quite sad for you really, I can tell you now that is not how to tell whether you are well recieved/popular or not, you can tell that from being in the real world, having real friends, a real life e.t.c...

And when have I been picked up on being a moron before? please inform me.
    It 2am here + December holiday + Just so fun = TSR surfing

-Sorry I don't think you can judge how much I spend my time. If you take a look at my stats, my post per day doesn't even pass 1. You, on the contrary, I don't think emphasise on this any further. Let the numbers talk.

-Oh gosh you must be joking... Just as I thought you are getting better... fine.. No, I do not take this as some kind of "Circle of Friendship" but I must admit TSR is as addictive as facebook. Cause we get to see people like you dancing in the circuit.

-OOOPpps I must say that I was pretty agitated on that facebook one. Sound pretty much like you, don't you think

-Sigh.. People who bother to see it, please go to his previous post.

I wanted to kiss you good bye, but you just have to push it.. I'm going to sleep now. Talk to you tomorrow. Nite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)
    Because that is before the Bible comes in... that bloody book
    I absolutely cracked up at this XD It's so true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil2202)
    Don't attack spelling and grammar, it makes you look desperate, and your already feeble argument look yet weaker.

Technically it is a community; it is possible to have friends online; and he never said TSR was his life.
    Ah Phil I was getting worried I hadn't heard from you in 5 minutes, hardly desperate just simply being constructive, I like to be able to read the argument of my opponent. As for my argument being feeble, I have to disagree with that for a start I think I am holding up rather well against your barrage and insults. You can't make friends online Phil, you make friends in real life.. for all I know you could be Elton John or George Micheal, you don't get the real persons personality online you just get a made up persona, period. Anyway I am going to log off now as I am going out with some freinds for a drink and general socializing IRL (I know shocking people do have friends off the internet), anyway has been a delight getting heckled by you lot.

Take care,

Jason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    What this thread has turned into. :sigh:
    It was ****ed up from the first post, the British army all having sex with each other like the spartans was never exactly going to be a good suggestion pmsl.

(Original post by Mm_Minty)
    When did he he say that the army all bum each other? All he said was that his dad was gay and fitted in fine, meaning that gays are a-ok in the army. And even if he was implying that the whole army bums each other, is that really an insult? it's the same as saying all the of the army shag women; there's nothing insulting about the idea of them all having sex - what you seem to have a problem with is the idea that some of them might be doing it with men.
    People like ME, eh? What's that supposed to mean? Because I don't immediate hate on gays in the army, I suddenly don't deserve their protection? Love you way of thinking, you should totally run for PM one day.

I wish someone would, you're a bit of a prat. hahahha silly homophobe.
    "Nothing insulting about them all having sex" Omg lol are you having a laugh!? There is a reason people use gay as an insult to others such as "don't be gay" or "this is well gay" etc.

ReputationRep:
    As for my argument being feeble, I have to disagree with that for a start I think I am holding up rather well against your barrage and insults.
    Lol, unfortunately the world doesn't agree with you. Simply ignoring a counter-arguments unfortunately does not constitute doing well in a debate, which is a shame, because you've got ignorance down to a tee!

You can't make friends online Phil, you make friends in real life.
    Again, why is this mutually exclusive? That's like saying you can't be friends with a pen-pal because you don't meet them in person. I have no doubts whatsoever that you can make friends online, they will just function differently to real life friends, as there will be less "contact time".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Infamous)
    It was ****ed up from the first post, the British army all having sex with each other like the spartans was never exactly going to be a good suggestion pmsl.
    I don't think that's what OP suggested. :unsure:

"Nothing insulting about them all having sex" Omg lol are you having a laugh!? There is a reason people use gay as an insult to others such as "don't be gay" or "this is well gay" etc.
    I don't think it is regarded as an insult anymore. Even gay people don't care about that.

ReputationRep:
    How am I tool. Again I'm not sure how many times I am going to have to state this in this thread because people who keep quoting me are either blind or stupid it is my opinion and I am entitled to it, so stop getting personal! theres no need. My respects to your friend but what does it have to do with me?

Tool. Jog on.
    You're entitled your opinion, of course you are. But it goes both ways- I am entitled to my opinion that what you are saying is stupid and wrong and worthy of criticism. That is MY opinion and I am entitled to it.

The same goes for everyone else on this thread who disagrees with you so please, stop regurgitating this "entitlement of opinion" stuff. Freedom of opinion =/= freedom from criticism.

(Original post by manthew)
    3.) This is probably the first time you meet the true TSRians. (Yes we have a culture)
    :rofl: Ah yes the true TSRians, the ones who will make you feel inadequate with their academic achievements, rip your every arguments to shreds in a way you can barely follow, and then to top it all off correct your spelling and grammar.

Sounds so sinister doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aws)
    I've just recently found out that homosexuality was very much advocated in Ancient Greece and that the Spartans practised homosexual acts even if they weren't gay (it was more male-boding)

Now I was thinking, why has this changed? Back then the men were real men, hardened warriors and were man enough to engage in coitus with a man and still be regarded a straight man who just helped lift the spirits of his friends.

Surely they were better warriors because of it? shall we take a lesson from them?
    The Sacred Band of Thebes was composed of about 157 gay couples in life long bonds on the rationale that lovers would from a more cohesive fighting troop. they were so successful that they defeated Sparta and many other city states to consolidate the rise of Thebes they were finally defeated by Philip and Alexander who were so impressed with their fighting that they dedicated a monument to them...so to answer your question yes a lot can be learned from the ancients! On a side note some scholars believe in addition to Aries Sparta sacrificed to Eros god of male and male love before going to war.. makes you think

ReputationRep:
    Well apparently the commandos still have strange 'initiations' lol.

ReputationRep:
    I now find it funny how Hitler admired the Spartans so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Infamous)

No, how is two people having sex supposed to be insulting?
    Yes, because there is such a thing of evolution of language. Meanings can change. As I'm sure you know, gay used to mean happy. Then it meant homosexual, now it can be used as an insult. When people use it as an insult, they usually don't mean it in the same sense as homosexual, because it's been given a new meaning for new contexts.
    Toodle pip.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you being so personal and rude, what's the need. You are obviously very young and immature to use that as your argument, you don't know me, you don't know my father so how can you call him gay you silly little troll. That's like me saying your mother's a fat prostitute dyke who only charges £5 a shag because she is so desperate to fuel her addiction to crack and feed her fat, ugly **** of a daughter. Stop being personal! Troll.
    Yes, I'm being personal, immature and rude.
    Troll? Hark at the pot, ladies and gentlemen!
    I wonder if this thread will get you banned or not.

You do realise that it's a life skill to be able to man up and handle criticism without having to resort to childish insults. I do wonder how you fare in the real word without a computer screen to hide behind but then you probably even buy your milk online.

Run along now, and try to be nice

ReputationRep:
    Haha you big bunch of gays, if you want to bum each other in the trenches join the french army, I mean seriously wtf? I'm not a homophobe but gays have no place in the british army! that's just wrong.

Edit: Haha I take it's gay people negging me here or girls who believe I am being unfair. Oh well.
    Your is going to swell out with so many reps. Then sharp comments will penetrate your "" and you will be [email protected] [email protected] Have a good gay

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.