Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is everyone so upset over tuition fees reform? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because they are cutting public funding for most university subjects, arts and humanities in particular, which i think is wrong for many reasons which i wont go into now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)

Probably won't see one when I'm older because I'm far more likely to join a private healthcare scheme than to risk life and limb in an NHS hospital.
    If you're injured in a road accident where do you think you'll go?
    Ever tried asking for private emergency A and E?
    If you're in a private hospital at the weekend do you think there will be many doctors on duty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by profoflife)
    And how would you work that out?
    I personally wouldn't work out the details, but I think if someone's earning over £45k they have had reasonable value for money from their degree course.
    Someone who earns about £22k for most of his working life hasn't had much value from his degree course.

ReputationRep:
    IF. IF.

So why do they charge me for something that MIGHT happen to me? Why don't they simply perform whatever they're going to perform, then as soon as I'm out of hospital, charge me through a tax until the cost of my treatment is covered?

Seems to be an agreeable system with education, why not with healthcare?
    That's exactly what private health insurance companies do: they charge you for something that might happen to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a student loan worth around £10,000.

I'll be graduating with a first in Aerospace Engineering.

I'll be going on to a PhD starting in the Summer/Autumn, after which I may go into industry or might remain in academia as a researcher/lecturer. As yet undecided on that front.
    Your loan is very managable.

Interesting...thats almost the same as me - i got 1st Masters Automotive Eng, did a PhD for Mercedes Benz...but had enough of uni after that.

I can get you job at GE if you're any good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doubledog)
    I personally wouldn't work out the details, but I think if someone's earning over £45k they have had reasonable value for money from their degree course.
    Someone who earns about £22k for most of his working life hasn't had much value from his degree course.
    What about people who work for charities or the military...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    I can feel the rage directed towards me coming, but still.
    Why is everyone really so upset over the reforms to tuition fees?

Is it really that difficult to pay £1.72 a week on a £22,000 salary, or £15.58 a week on a £30,000 salary?

Why are people trying to argue that those who don't have the benefit of a university education should be asked to help pay for those who do?

It all seems utterly mental to me, and the whole situation seems to have got so far out of hand that nobody is actually looking at the big picture anymore.
    Because the government is doing it to make up for the fact they are making massive cuts to funding Higher education, and passing it straight to the students to pick up.

We will have some of the worst funded and yet most expensive universities in the industrialised world because of it.

Because you might think we're lucky to be in just before it, but the funding for universities has already been cut. Until they can up their tuition fees in the next couple of years, in the meantime if they want to continue giving the same qulaity and level of teaching to students such as me, they'll have to operate at a loss until they can get some money back through future students who'll have to pay alot more.

What could this mean?? Each university will have to make their decision. Who do you think will be the priority to them? They won't want to upset the people paying £9000 because they're paying alot more, so to make cuts to their education from what people that went before this decision had, would be unfair. They may end up being the priority.

ReputationRep:
    What about people who work for charities or the military...?
    Some people who work at high levels in charities earn good incomes.
    Some people in the military at higher ranks earn good incomes.
    I think they should have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    This will all work out perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excandersham)
    Wales with an even more limited budget managed it.

Theres no question we can afford it. It's a question of priority.
    It's all about priority. It just means that another area of Wales/Scotland's devolved control receives less funding.

University can sadly never be free in England especially following the significant increase in attendance since when it was free. From the pie chart below I can't see realistically any area that would be deemed acceptable to cut on the scale needed to fund free English university. Interestingly if the education spend was to be broken down, the government spends 3.5 times more on servicing the UK's debt interest than they do on University funding.

I'm neither here nor there on the tuition fees increase. What annoys me about it though is how some of the arguement in support of it is being based on how it could save the taxpayer money, but some figures going around suggest more money could end up being written off.

Public univesities in the US also face substantial budgetary cuts as each state tries to reign in their budget blackholes.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'll go to university irrespective of fees because it's something I feel I need to do to better myself and to advance career-wise- and I'm not essentially well off.

However, I do fear that this will turn into a class war because of the fact that more prestigious universities will charge more and the less prestigious will charge less.

You do the maths.

ReputationRep:
    Probably won't see one when I'm older because I'm far more likely to join a private healthcare scheme than to risk life and limb in an NHS hospital.
    Wow. You've really bought the media crap about the NHS haven't you.
    It really is not that bad.
    Some specific hospitals can be bad, but that would be the case with a private one anyway.

ReputationRep:
    £3.40 an hour for driving lessons? Thats less than the minimum wage...they were £20 an hour 15 years ago???????
    HOW DARE YOU 1.20 is the mimimum wage for driving instructos who are teaching childen under 18 . THAT IS WHAT I DO AND LOVE !!!!!

JAMES DAWES
    X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.