Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I ignored everything you said because I have addressed all of those points before. It was going around in circles.
    You haven't answered my symptom = amateur diagnosis point, or not properly answered it anyway.
    You make a judgement about a symptom which causes you to say "go to a doctor" or not. You do not want people to make these judgements - so how can you differentiate between something needing a GP visit, something needing a visit urgently, and something not needing a visit at all?

You haven't answered all my points about people with experience with one medical professional giving advice to another person about whether their professional is carrying out their conduct correctly.

Meh, I can't be bothered to go through all your previous posts to find more if you can't even be bothered to answer (or quite possibly, read) mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    For the reasons I said before, amateur diagnoses for mental conditions also help more often than hinder.
    Reasons that I have already disagreed with and given my counter-argument to. Hence I am not keen to repeat myself again.

(Original post by pippa90)
    Someone with depression, who has read all of the textbook info and spoken to other people with depression, as well as experiencing it themselves will have more knowledge of the subject than a 'healthcare professional'.
    Absolute bull****. A clinical psych, for example, would be referencing from many years of clinical practice with patients of that diagnosis, empirical research, most likely their own research, as well as an extensive review of the literature surrounding it.

Reading wikipedia =/= being knowledgeable.

Having received a diagnosis does not qualify you to diagnose others.

ReputationRep:
    Reasons that I have already disagreed with and given my counter-argument to. Hence I am not keen to repeat myself again.
    And you gave me the last word. Not counter-arguing my counter-argument an' all...

Absolute bull****. A clinical psych, for example, would be referencing from many years of clinical practice with patients of that diagnosis, empirical research, most likely their own research, as well as an extensive review of the literature surrounding it.

My psychs were more bothered with what computer games I liked to play. And they saw self harm as a root problem, rather than a symptom.
    On top of that, they could only deal with irrational depression. I was a rational depressive - they didn't know what to do with me. I just shouldn't exist in their eyes and their literature. And a difficult patient they cause difficulties to - withholding treatments and referrals and such. Some people they can't help. In some things, the literature is biased. Some psychs are convinced that biological things are caused by your upbringing.

If you get a good psych, that's great. But before you get a psych (remember, these can easily have up to a year waiting lists! Long enough for a depressed person to spiral down and kill themselves), some help would be nice. Some advice could also be necessary to persuade you to seek a psych. And finally, if you get a bad psych, you need to seek help elsewhere.

ReputationRep:

They still haven't experienced themselves though. And I was refering to GPs anyway, obviously psychologists would know a lot more about it.

ReputationRep:
    And you gave me the last word. Not counter-arguing my counter-argument an' all...
    Jesus christ, I even have to repeat myself in order to explain why I cba to continue this further..

Some advice could also be necessary to persuade you to seek a psych. And finally, if you get a bad psych, you need to seek help elsewhere.
    You can give all the advice you want. Still doesn't make you qualified to diagnose people.

ReputationRep:
    He wasn't diagnosing me, and anyway I've done that same module in A Level Psychology!
    Lol its hillarious how this thread has turned into an argument between those 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    How depressing, I was being ignored in my own thread :'( haha

ReputationRep:

Just want to jump in here, how extensively would someone have to study something before being able to diagnose themselves or others. Would it be wrong for me to tell someone they have a cold or a flu, even if i know they have the symptoms from personal experience and i have read about it in a textbook or 'wikipedia'.
    What about an addiction. Could i tell someone they might have an addiction from studying a textbook and looking at their symptoms, or should i leave them?

Personal experience? A level? Degree? a year in the profession? 5 years? 10 years?

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ, I even have to repeat myself in order to explain why I cba to continue this further..

You can give all the advice you want. Still doesn't make you qualified to diagnose people.
    Talking of repeating oneself, I, or anyone else, am not making an official diagnosis.

I am making a suggestion that symptom X means that it could be condition A, which means that you should go to the doctors, or lack of symptom X means it probably isn't condition A, but just in case it gets worse, look out for symptoms X, Y and Z. Also, if in doubt, go to the doctors.
    (If subject goes to see doctors and psychs)
    I am saying that Psych 1 has flaw J, so make sure to do K or Psych 1 may perform actions of misconduct on you. What you should expect from this place is this, if they don't give you at least this standard of care, ask them why not. If you believe you should have better standard, try moving to Psych 2, but not Psych 3.
    You were/were not diagnosed with condition A and were/were not given treatment? That's strange, because I was/was not diagnosed and was/was not given treatment, you may want to see what experiences other people had and find out why they did that, possibly getting a second opinion.

Tell me, what is wrong with this? If you think anything is wrong with this, what do you suggest as an alternative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Tell me about it...

How depressing, I was being ignored in my own thread :'( haha
    Sorry for the thread hijack, OP...

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it...

Sorry for the thread hijack, OP...
    Lol it's fine Only for you though, the other guy said I was chatting bull****!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.