Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If we got rid of makeup, girls would be nothing. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit sad that you think girls would be 'nothing' without makeup - surely there is much much more to a person than physical appearance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I didn't really want to have a 'friendly philosophical' discussion with you to be quite honest but there we go.
    I only engage in friendly philosophical discussions based on logical reasoning, intelligence, truth and no personal attacks. Sorry if you aren't on my level though.

Whether you think men look better than women is completely your opinion, judging by some of the comments posted, not everyone thinks that.
    Men don't need to wear makeup in everyday life to look good. Women do. It's not merely 'my opinion', it's reality.

I guarantee that if you walk down the street on any day of the week and see 10 good-looking men, none of them will be wearing any makeup.

Yet, if a guy walks down the same street and sees 10 women who he thinks are good looking, all of them will be wearing makeup.

I'm also willing to bet that if that same guy saw those 10 women WITHOUT the makeup, he may change his mind as to whether he considers them attractive looking.

What does this tell you?

Personally, I think that, in general, women that I see without make-up look better than men.
    You're talking from a woman's perspective. From a man's perspective, I can safely say that most women without makeup don't look as appealing as they do with makeup on, and most men would agree with me.

Women don't 'need' to wear make-up to look good, you tool. I know plenty of gorgeous girls who I believe, and plenty of other people would agree, look just as good with make-up as without.
    How badly deluded are you? If that's the case, then let's ask women to stop wearing makeup and see how much attention they get from men. I GUARANTEE most womens' levels of attention from men would go down if they stopped wearing makeup.

And let's leave the 'personal attacks' out of this discussion (calling me a 'tool' etc). I didn't personally attack you or anyone else in this discussion, and I expect the same courtesy and respect in return. Concentrate on the content of the discussion.

Where is your proof that women age faster than men? Is it based entirely on appearance or some other criteria?
    Look all around you. Here's a truth about life: men get better and more attractive with age, women do not.

A woman has a limited time frame in which she can attract a man for a long term relationship, marriage and to have kids with. Typically, women are at their best looking between 16 and 25. Some women can look good into their 30s, but most in the majority of cases this isn't the case. Once a woman is past her peak physically, she's going to have a hard time attracting men. Hence why most men prefer younger women.

Men, on the other hand, get more distinguished with age. A man becomes more valuable with age. Usually men get more confident with age, their level of career/personal/financial success improves, and in general their level of attractiveness increases, hence why most women prefer older men.

The bottom line: men age like fine wine, women age like milk.

While many female celebrities look better without make-up, so do most male ones. Those with and without photos always catch them in their best and worst light, so the fact that they're not wearing make-up is irrelevant.
    I've been over this point (see my reply to Ali above). I don't like repeating myself.

You are incredibly shallow and I can't take you seriously, either. I can't believe I even bothered to reply.
    Incredibly shallow for stating real life facts? You are bitter because I've stated some TRUTHS about women that you don't feel comfortable with. Again dear, I didn't make things the way they are, so don't blame me. Life is what it is, and I'm simply a student at it's feet...

ReputationRep:
    Hey there guys, I'm new...... There's this girl I like and as another poster has stated she draws me in with her eyes. When she wears make-up she looks amazing and I definately would, but without make-up she's distinctly average. I'm just confused if the make-up is fooling me or is it just bringing out the best in her? Honest answers much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ****sSonsFriend)
    Hey there guys, I'm new...... There's this girl I like and as another poster has stated she draws me in with her eyes. When she wears make-up she looks amazing and I definately would, but without make-up she's distinctly average. I'm just confused if the make-up is fooling me or is it just bringing out the best in her? Honest answers much appreciated
    Well applied makeup can always bring out the best in people and make even the most barely average, look stunning. I would know :smug:

You shouldn't just be attracted to her for the way she looks though. Doesn't her whole persona attract you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenii)
    You've contradicted yourself here and inadvertently answered your own rhetorical question.

Earlier in your post you said men simply don't need to be as good looking as women because women are attracted to men "through their ears" not their eyes. So perhaps that's why men don't wear make-up?
    I didn't contradict myself anywhere.

I stand by my points....men don't NEED to wear makeup because:-

a) a man's looks aren't as important to a woman since women go more for a guy's personality and demeanor. So in actual fact, all this talk of men's looks is a mute point, since it's not the most important factor in a man.

and b) they are naturally better looking than women anyway (this is confirmed by the fact that very few men are hard to look at without makeup, yet most women without makeup make men cringe).

Women need to wear makeup because:-

a) they aren't as naturally good looking as men (therefore need to compensate by wearing makeup),

and b) they know that their LOOKS are their primary means of attracting men, therefore they need to put as much effort into their appearance as possible in order to attract men.

So in summary, although most men are naturally better looking than women, men don't need to wear makeup because their looks are not the most important factor in attracting a woman; confidence is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfactorfan)
    no, what i'm saying is every white girl i see wears makeup and the only girls i see who aren't wearing makeup are non-whites.
    That is just silly. Seriously, every girl? Where do you live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I wear full face makeup all the time, and no, I'm not ashamed to say it. :rolleyes: Yes, I dye my hair too. I paint my nails. I've been known to wear hair extensions on occasion. I spend quite a lot of money on clothes. OMG I'M FAKE AND SUPERFICIAL! :eek:

I don't wear it because I'm insecure, I wear it because I personally think it makes me look better. I don't cake it on, I wear it in my colour so I don't look orange, and I wear colours that suit my skin.

I dye my hair to enhance my natural colour, because I personally think my natural colour (dark reddish brown) looks a bit flat, so I add more reds to make it look warmer and richer. When I've had extensions, they've been the exact same colour as my hair, and I had them because I got bored waiting for my hair to grow.

I manicure my nails, and paint them in a nude colour, because it looks polished and classy.

Oh, and I enjoy doing my hair and makeup, painting my nails, clothes shopping, and all that. Problem? Kiss my arse, because I don't care. I like how it makes me look, I enjoy doing it, that's all that matters.
    No thanks, you've probably got it covered with chemicals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Well applied makeup can always bring out the best in people and make even the most barely average, look stunning. I would know :smug:

You shouldn't just be attracted to her for the way she looks though. Doesn't her whole persona attract you?
    I 'think' I really like her personality too. But I always make mistakes with people so can't be completely sure. I have this tendency to neglect the bad points in ppl.I like how she looks without make-up (I think its the eyes ) but she honestly looks like a different person with make-up. I'm really confused. There are other reasons I haven't made a move, so don't think it's just the make-up lol.

ReputationRep:
    The only time I wear make-up is if I'm going out (not just going outside but on a night out or something). However, I do dye my hair because my natural colour looks greasy so its a slightly different shade of brown. But if I didn't dye my hair, it wouldn't bother me really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neil_K)

a) a man's looks aren't as important to a woman since women go more for a guy's personality and demeanor. So in actual fact, all this talk of men's looks is a mute point, since it's not the most important factor in a man.

and b) they are naturally better looking than women anyway (this is confirmed by the fact that very few men are hard to look at without makeup, yet most women without makeup make men cringe).
    So can most/all women look good with make-up? Or put another way do all average looking girls look good with make-up. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ****sSonsFriend)
    So can most/all women look good with make-up? Or put another way do all average looking girls look good with make-up. Thanks
    Depends on the girl. An average looking girl can certainly bump her looks up somewhat by wearing makeup. But no amount of makeup will help a blatantly ugly woman who looks like a bag lady and has two teeth in her mouth.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the girl. An average looking girl can certainly bump her looks up somewhat by wearing makeup. But no amount of makeup will help a blatantly ugly woman who looks like a bag lady and has two teeth in her mouth.
    Okay so this girl I know who I would rate as average without makeup looks absolutely stunning with make-up. What the hell does this mean exactly?

ReputationRep:
    "nothing"?
    It kind of sounds like you only value girls for their looks, which is really sad.

Most people wear make up because they are insecure and think it enhances their appearance, but they don't do it for guys, they do it to feel better and to rise up to the social pressure from the image of the "ideal" woman being plastered on every wall,with airbrushed skin and fake eyelashes.
    Looking nice gives you confidence as it makes it easier to APPEAR confident, it's not necessarily so guys can perv all over you, most girls wouldn't like that.
    They just want to feel better, and what's wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think any girl needs make up to look or feel beautiful. but it is thier choice. 41 neg and counting. OP. of all the forum sites I have seen. why I. never saw such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfactorfan)
    this includes other fakery like false eyelashes, hair extensions, hair dyes etc.

i know not all girls will care blah blah blah so don't tell me i'm generalising, i'm just saying 'girls' rather than 'some girls' because the latter would sound pathetic and wouldn't grab people's attention :rolleyes:

99.9% of girls i see are clearly wearing some form of makeup, even if its just during the day. i know lots of girls who need to wear it just to go shopping or something stupid. seriously, what have you got to hide? :rolleyes: are you insecure because you know you're actually ugly and without makeup, you won't get eyed up by guys to fuel your incessent need for attention? :rolleyes:

i know i'm going to get girls now who say 'well i dont wear makeup in the day'. i'm sorry but don't deny that you do. even if its just eyeliner. like i say, 99.9% of girls i see are clearly wearing makeup, even if its just eyeliner.
    Pretty much yeah...generally the girls that most guys consider 'hot' are the ones that make a bit of effort with their appearance, and the ones that don't are consider munters.

ReputationRep:
    Girls wear whatever they want as long as they're happy imo

ReputationRep:
    yes I agree that some girls wear TOO much makeup these days, but they are not going to be nothing, most girls who do wear soo much makeup are still pretty underneathe it all. clear faced, purity nice eyes, cracking smile... thats not nothing, thats the true beauty.

ReputationRep:

EDIT: most girls are less attractive without make up. However Op, no one is 'nothing'- dont judge people on appearance!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebell100)
    I very rarely wear make-up when I go out, does that mean I'm nothing? Lol

Contrary to the popular opinion, make-up and attention from men does not boost a girl's confidence or her self-worth. True confidence and self-worth lies in a girl's contentment with how God created her and her obedience to her lord.

Peace.
    I agree. I don't know why people negged you.

People never want to hear the truth.

ReputationRep:

Women need to wear makeup because:-

a) they aren't as naturally good looking as men (therefore need to compensate by wearing makeup),

and b) they know that their LOOKS are their primary means of attracting men, therefore they need to put as much effort into their appearance as possible in order to attract men.

So in summary, although most men are naturally better looking than women, men don't need to wear makeup because their looks are not the most important factor in attracting a woman; confidence is.
    Okay I appreciate that it may be true that men don't wear make-up for BOTH reasons, those two things are not logically inconsistent, but given reason B I just think reason A is irrelevant.

I also think reason A is untrue for another reason. Guys are just used to seeing girls wear make-up: if make-up were banned for some reason then guys wouldn't suddenly stop being attracted to women and all become gay and attracted to one another.

Heterosexual guys will always be attracted to women (and hetro gals to guys) so you can't really compare men's and women's attractiveness objectively.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.