Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A child’s life needs to be GOVERNED and CONTROLLED Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I completely agree, and this is how I'll be bringing up mine. Surrounded by books, culture, and class.
    Somewhat counter-intuitive though, if it is exclusively British culture that the child is exposed to...

I was brought up in a similar way, my parents educated me about current affairs, politics, and bits of history since the age of 5. I started reading the Harry Potter books aged 6, as well as various others. Our house has several hundred historical books, as well as other topics such as artists, fiction, anything really. They always took me for outings to countryside places, stately homes, art galleries, museums etc.
    Some would say that educating a child of such a young age about politics is indoctrination... :rolleyes:

I never read fiction as a child, despite my parents' best efforts. Fiction is unnecessary. You'd be better off giving your child an atlas or a book about the solar system.

Consequently, I'm a decent human being who deems it unacceptable to vandalise the local bus shelter and mug the elderly. I hate 'Jeremy Kyle people' haha. They bullied me for being a "posh prick" during school.
    Well, personally, I'd say you were the other extreme... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Wow, I’ve really hit a nerve haven’t I?

Listen, yes I am from Oxfordshire but I do NOT look down on people, nor do I have a butler or a limo. Yes you’re stereotyping, but I wasn’t. I was merely presenting my idea to IMPROVE and EDUCATE the youth of today, because lets face it, a lot of them are classless bullies!
    Bullies are everywhere and your original post sounded like you look down on many people which is why replied with a firm tone (lets say font lol)

People who want to learn about things will learn about what they wish, same goes for children. The fact is most people dont have the opportunities to do so. If you want to make an effect community schemes are a much better solution to troublesome youths as they offer a variety of activities and subjects to look into. Your ideas could fit into this system but you need to promote individualism and choice rather than force and dictatorship.

You have taken my idea and completely blown it of proportion. Nazism? Get a grip. There is a big difference between the curious drinking and consistent binge drinking. We have all had a bit of cheap alcohol when we were younger (no matter what school/area you’re at), but many of children now focus their lives around it along with the exposure to crap idols, music, drugs and the pressures of live to make them “modern” or “cool”.
    lol dont worry i have a grip. Binge drinking affects everyone and its down to the person not the class or background and is a scapegoat for some social problems which are much deeper than drinking as alot of people manage to do it without causing mayhem.

Idols and music are out of parents control, you can not buy them this cd but with the internet how it is nowadays you can download anything anywhere. Plus most children grow up on poor television and have a distorted view of what is important which is as much the parents fault as the companies who broadcast and release such media with an obvious target market of the young and impressionable.

My idea – sending youths to camps and dowsing them with a bit of British class will REALLY improve these children. Think about it – A child is bought up in sub urban area surrounded by “chav” (I dislike the term) culture. But they’re young. Send them to these places and open their eyes. Drill in history, key events, heroes and sacrifices made for this country. Their appreciation will rise.
    I do not disagree when you put it like this, but it has to be a willing choice made by the child. If you force children to do something they will loath it.

Their appreciation of how this country came to be may rise yes, but they will still act up in school to fit stereotypes and images communicated to them through media.

Thats the real problem. Kids being kids and i dont think you can solve it with a simplistic system.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I’ve really hit a nerve haven’t I?

Listen, yes I am from Oxfordshire but I do NOT look down on people, nor do I have a butler or a limo. Yes you’re stereotyping, but I wasn’t. I was merely presenting my idea to IMPROVE and EDUCATE the youth of today, because lets face it, a lot of them are classless bullies!

You have taken my idea and completely blown it of proportion. Nazism? Get a grip. There is a big difference between the curious drinking and consistent binge drinking. We have all had a bit of cheap alcohol when we were younger (no matter what school/area you’re at), but many of children now focus their lives around it along with the exposure to crap idols, music, drugs and the pressures of live to make them “modern” or “cool”.

My idea – sending youths to camps and dowsing them with a bit of British class will REALLY improve these children. Think about it – A child is bought up in sub urban area surrounded by “chav” (I dislike the term) culture. But they’re young. Send them to these places and open their eyes. Drill in history, key events, heroes and sacrifices made for this country. Their appreciation will rise.
    Personally i think that money should be spent giving money towards the unemployed or homeless which is 25% of those under the age of 25. You sound like one of these global warming activists who campaign about global warming but ignore how much poverty there is in the world. Maybe that money should be spent on getting back the tax money that the owner of topshop dodged that would cover the increase in student fees..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    No, it has little to do with a German political party of late but it is related to forcing social change against what others might think is right.
    It's not Nazism to enforce morals and values into society, and to reform the way children are educated. The title was a bit extreme lol, but the post makes a lot of sense.

he heavily implied it and i was saying that the majority of people on JK are at the bottom of the barrel and not representative of the 'working class'
    A lot of them do tend to be working class, that is not stereotypical, it is fact. However, no one on here has said all working class people are like this.

Thats life. Ill also add that there are more pressing issues at hand than a few kids being annoying.
    I'll agree there are more pressing issues, but we should still try and sort it.

Well, when i was in school and people were drinking we had to get away from the house or go to someones when there parents were away.
    You go to a pub or something.
    Most of the time everyone went down Reigate priory park (not exactly a ghetto) with whatever booze we could get our hands on. My uni housemates did the same, wherever was easiest to get to.
    Why do that at uni?

Teenagers and children are fickle, they will jump on whatever bandwagon is going on to fit in. If you listen to 'cool' music then you will show everyone how 'cool' you are by playing it on your cool iphone for example.
    I hate the ones who do that. I've never done that, neither have my friends, because we've been brought up to have our own opinions and not be mindless sheep.

I would recommend it, it went out on channel 4 or BBC..I cant remember but its a good little documentary. The rich females make good friends with the Peckham ghetto *****es breaking all these silly social barriers that OP cant seem to get past.
    Tbh the social barriers come much much more from the other side...I've experienced it. I'm not "posh" or "rich" or whatever, I'm middle class like most, and I've experienced a lot of inverse snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Somewhat counter-intuitive though, if it is exclusively British culture that the child is exposed to...
    I mean traditional British culture.

Some would say that educating a child of such a young age about politics is indoctrination... :rolleyes:
    Lol I was never told what party to support, or which views were right. I came to that conclusion myself. That said, my parents are Tories too, so it's probably had some influence. My father is much more centrist on a most topics than I am though, and my mother isn't as right wing as me, so I haven't brainlessly followed them.

I never read fiction as a child, despite my parents' best efforts. Fiction is unnecessary. You'd be better off giving your child an atlas or a book about the solar system.
    I think it's helpful, as are factua l books. I think both have their place.

Well, personally, I'd say you were the other extreme... :p:
    You think I'd go on Jeremy Kyle? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I'm not "posh" or "rich" or whatever, I'm middle class like most
    Evidence says otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    It's not Nazism to enforce morals and values into society, and to reform the way children are educated. The title was a bit extreme lol, but the post makes a lot of sense.
    it was based on the title lol

(Original post by .Ali.)
    A lot of them do tend to be working class, that is not stereotypical, it is fact. However, no one on here has said all working class people are like this.

I'll agree there are more pressing issues, but we should still try and sort it.
    Yeah, but it is based around media, idols, education, activities etc i think.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    You go to a pub or something.
    Why do that at uni?
    When your 16 it would be an Inbetweeners Carvery dinner and cider fiasco lol

I meant they did the same as me when i was young.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    I hate the ones who do that. I've never done that, neither have my friends, because we've been brought up to have our own opinions and not be mindless sheep.
    It is what most children do and people still do now unfortunately.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Tbh the social barriers come much much more from the other side...I've experienced it. I'm not "posh" or "rich" or whatever, I'm middle class like most, and I've experienced a lot of inverse snobbery.
    Neither am i lol, it is about barriers though as people are people, they breath and eat an laugh and cry and drive cars and go on holidays etc, what the documentary was trying to get across.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Evidence says otherwise.
    Define posh and rich then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    it was based on the title lol

Yeah, but it is based around media, idols, education, activities etc i think.
    It's a lack of morals and values that cause it. And education, yes.

When your 16 it would be an Inbetweeners Carvery dinner and cider fiasco lol

I meant they did the same as me when i was young.
    Haha, I'm 16 and we go into pubs sometimes! It helps that I look older and a lot of my friends are 18 though haha.

It is what most children do and people still do now unfortunately.
    Yes but it's not right.

Neither am i lol, it is about barriers though as people are people, they breath and eat an laugh and cry and drive cars and go on holidays etc, what the documentary was trying to get across.
    I know what you mean, you can get nice people from all financial backgrounds - I would agree.

ReputationRep:
    It is important that knowledge be kept secret and precious and not squandered on the plebs. Teaching the plebs the secrets of history is throwing pearls before swine.

That's what the Upper Classes would probably say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Define posh and rich then.
    Well, the fact you were surprised at the average wage suggests you are used to having a lot of money around.
    Plus the fact you have the typical snobbish attitude of looking down on other people who are not as "cultured" and whatever as you apparantly are.

ReputationRep:
    harry potter? age six,AGE SIX you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Well, the fact you were surprised at the average wage suggests you are used to having a lot of money around.
    Plus the fact you have the typical snobbish attitude of looking down on other people who are not as "cultured" and whatever as you apparantly are.
    I just thought that more people came from a similar background to myself.

I don't look down on them as such if they're nice people.

ReputationRep:
    Just to give you guys another example. Would a child be better off spending time here:

Or here...

Do you see how a child's mentality could change depending on their surronding etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    harry potter? age six,AGE SIX you say?
    That's about me I'm guessing?

Yeah, I read all the ones that were out when I was 6. Obviously I couldn't read the whole series as it wasn't out then, but I read the whole series throughout my childhood lol. Why is that so shocking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    That's about me I'm guessing?

Yeah, I read all the ones that were out when I was 6. Obviously I couldn't read the whole series as it wasn't out then, but I read the whole series throughout my childhood lol. Why is that so shocking?
    i can only wonder what books you were reading when you were seven

ReputationRep:
    Just to give you guys another example. Would a child be better off spending time here:

Do you see how a child's mentality could change depending on their surronding etc?
    Many notable people have spent time in places such as this. Some of the most evil people to set foot on Earth have had a fine education and have attended places such as those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    i can only wonder what books you were reading when you were seven
    Origin of Species

ReputationRep:
    Many youths today are brought up in such a poor fashion. If you were to wander around certain areas, you will see kids hanging out on street corners etc. They all follow the same thing and admire scum celebrities, which in effect, promotes their idea of being a maverick and causing mayhem.

My idea is to CONTROL what children see and do. I believe it is important that they are exposed to the HISTORY and HERITAGE of Britain. There is a general lack of knowledge when it comes to today’s youth. I am sure you are all familiar with the term: Jeremy Kyle people. This needs to prevented to stop more of them populating.

When they are young, let’s say 5, the child should have to read the history of Britain. It is important that they’re tarnished with stories about famous citizens, leaders, generals, politicians, etc. Also introduce them to key events and battles.

Different idols

This could be nicely incorporated with the National Trust or English Heritage. They offer an array of historic properties and locations up and down the country. Why not force children to visit these places? Let them appreciate class, dignity, heritage and history. Maybe introduce a class camp? The class camp will teach them manners, music, key skills etc.

Blicking Hall

By the time the child is a teen, he/she will have a broader knowledge, and hopefully more class. Rather than blasting music out of a mobile phone and drinking white lightening in a park at night, they will realise that their actions are despicable and somewhat animal like.
    To be honest, I didn't actually read this. I read the title, looked at the pictures and read their captions. I totally agree.

ReputationRep:

Or here...

i think that would be a good idea then kids would notice the gap between rich and poor and rebel and make society more equal lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.