Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Ermm no.. My GCSEs are quite average for a med student.. in fact they're a bit below average (should have worked :ashamed:)
    But I'm proud of my A levels and UKCAT :yep:

I also got rejected by all 4 medicine choices last year having only had one interview with my current As, 720 UKCAT and was predicted A*A*AA

I am the definition of "A string of A grades will not guarantee a place at medical school" :rolleyes:
    While grades are important.. I have found work experience/personal statement is much more important :yep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Though obviously this will vary between med schools
    I may be being tremendously stupid here, but how have you got 6 courses on your UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    it's not really shocking...just upsetting from where i'm sat.

I've applied for medicine, had interviews at manchester, cambridge and liverpool and been acknowledged by bristol. as yet i've had no offers, should have heard from manchester just before christmas so these next few days could be interesting...

anyways, manchester is really my first choice and i reallllly want to go there, it's close to home, the course is awesome, loads of my mates already have their offers there to do other stuff and realistically im not getting in cambridge. anyways, my parents know how much im desperate for a med offer, esp from manchester. i get a text from mother saying there's a letter from manchester when im in college, so straight away i phone her to open it. both mother and father are there and get dead excited 'SOPH YOU'VE GOT AN OFFER, AWW WELL DONE!' i cant tell you how happy i was, but i just had a feeling summat wasnt right. i was like 'are you sure you've read it proper?' next minute 'oh wait...it's for biomedical sciences' i was FUMING! I wouldnt mind but i'd already had that offer and they couldnt just read it properly could they, it says biomed massive at the top.

so yeah, still waiting for an actual offer, and honestly i hope parents arent about when post arrives in the future
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    I may be being tremendously stupid here, but how have you got 6 courses on your UCAS?
    It's not incredibly stupid..
    After HYMS rejected me they gave me the chance to have my application forwarded to any other department at either hull or york
    Hence I have my 6th choice of biochem at york.. and should hear from them soon-ish :yep:
    As far as UCAS is concerned.. I only have 5 choices.. they don't know I've been rejected and now being considered for the other course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    It's not incredibly stupid..
    After HYMS rejected me they gave me the chance to have my application forwarded to any other department at either hull or york
    Hence I have my 6th choice of biochem at york.. and should hear from them soon-ish :yep:
    As far as UCAS is concerned.. I only have 5 choices.. they don't know I've been rejected and now being considered for the other course
    Ah, so in effect the '6th' choice is a valid choice but kind of a non-UCAS choice? I getcha. It's a shame they rejected you, I hate seeing how many people get rejected from medicine, (I have a good friend who in his entire school life only ever had grades less than A in French and Drama rejected by 5 med schools in one UCAS year) but at least they're giving you another choice so to speak.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was predicted BCC got an offer from Kent with ABB...

Flopped disgustingly as I didn't take it seriously or anything...got a CDD...and put that on my application this year...applied for Economics BSc (only 45 places) at Manchester requires an AAB...got rejected...called up the guy asked him why...spoke to him a little told him to read over my personal statement...and got an offer! Thank God!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MUJ17)
    Last year I was predicted BCC got an offer from Kent with ABB...

Flopped disgustingly as I didn't take it seriously or anything...got a CDD...and put that on my application this year...applied for Economics BSc (only 45 places) at Manchester requires an AAB...got rejected...called up the guy asked him why...spoke to him a little told him to read over my personal statement...and got an offer! Thank God!
    Wow, that's pretty good - what was the offer?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Last year, I got my first offer for Cardiff in October. Which was great but I didn't really want to go there. Then I heard nothing until I got rejected from Oxford in December. Then I heard nothing again until March. Within a week I got my offer from St Andrews and a rejection from Edinburgh. I was still waiting on Durham which was where I really really really wanted to go. Anyways, went on a school exchange to Germany. Ended up staying with a girl I didn't really like. Was in her room checking my emails on her laptop when I got the email to say UCAS has been updated. Open it up to find a rejection from Durham and I had to sit and try not to cry while I was with this girl. Then I was like 'oh just going to the toilet.' Was so so awkward and possibly the worst time I could have got a rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FamousFourTops)
    The night before??? Thats horrible, no time to mentally prepare before... Well done for getting an interview though!
    Yeah haha, I wouldnt have had much of a chance anyway, but I am sure I could fitted in a few books or something. I blame MSN hotmail! A

And thanks, it wasnt really an achievement per say, it just showed me for the first time that those who you trust to speak truth (this case sixth form heads) sometimes dont know everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-WOW)
    Last year, I got my first offer for Cardiff in October. Which was great but I didn't really want to go there. Then I heard nothing until I got rejected from Oxford in December. Then I heard nothing again until March. Within a week I got my offer from St Andrews and a rejection from Edinburgh. I was still waiting on Durham which was where I really really really wanted to go. Anyways, went on a school exchange to Germany. Ended up staying with a girl I didn't really like. Was in her room checking my emails on her laptop when I got the email to say UCAS has been updated. Open it up to find a rejection from Durham and I had to sit and try not to cry while I was with this girl. Then I was like 'oh just going to the toilet.' Was so so awkward and possibly the worst time I could have got a rejection.
    that sucks mate but it worked out for you in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Bull****. Once a university has given you an offer through UCAS they are legally binded to give you a place if you accept. They cannot retract an offer after it has been given; that's illegal.
    Yeah, but I didn't accept. Manchester was never going to be my firm OR insurance choice. If I'd had have done, it would've been a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    Awww. :console: Are you enjoying St. Andrews?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    Awww. :console: Are you enjoying St. Andrews?
    Yes, thank you. I think now that I'm there, I realise it suits me better than Durham would have. The course structure is more flexible etc.
    I think I wanted Durham more because I thought it was prettier etc. Which I now realise was very shallow and immature. You get over the novelty of pretty old buildings within a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimimimi)
    Yep! Well I think so, another annoying thing that happened to me was that I chose European Studies at Goldsmiths as my Insurance, then they discontinued the course and I got to choose any other course at any uni to replace it...
    This is a little off topic, but I was just putting in my final choices this year, one of them for Computing and Interaction Design at Goldsmiths... And the course code didn't show up. Contacted the department, got told the course was cancelled and I should 'check the website for the most up to date information.'

The course is still listed on their website. >:c

ReputationRep:
    I had my heart set on Nottingham last year, they were the last place to give me an offer and when I finally saw it I was instantily like 'V400? That's not what I applied for.' After ringing the uni the man on the other end said that Ancient History and History had been filled a while ago (this was in February and my application had been sent off in November) and that there was no space on it and I had an offer in Archaeology if I wanted it. So in the end I ended up here at Leicester and love it. I wasn't willing to sacrifice the course I wanted to do for the Uni I wanted to go to.

ReputationRep:
    i received 2 of my offers within 2 weeks and have been waiting for my third for 2 months now grrr i dont even care if i havent got in i just want to know !!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreaminchicken)
    Wow, that's pretty good - what was the offer?
    Thanks...just the normal offer AAB.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not much but last year I sent off my application less than a week later I got offers off two of my choices which happened to be the ones I wanted use for my insurance and firm so I had a very unstressful wait :giggle: in the end my other applications wanted me for interviews I couldn't really get to so I just withdrew my applications from them and went with the first two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caiitlinz)
    This is a little off topic, but I was just putting in my final choices this year, one of them for Computing and Interaction Design at Goldsmiths... And the course code didn't show up. Contacted the department, got told the course was cancelled and I should 'check the website for the most up to date information.'

The course is still listed on their website. >:c
    That's really annoying! I hope you told the department, in case they didn't realise before. It's lucky that the code wasn't still on UCAS though, otherwise you'd have actually applied like I did...

Maybe Goldsmiths does this a lot! Guess they cancel courses pretty often or something.

ReputationRep:
    That is so so awful! *hugs!*

I really hope youre enjoying st.andrews, its a very respected uni and im sure youre doing well!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Royal Holloway to do Economics, got an offer. Missed my offer on the day so they offered me computer science instead, which I rejected when I rang them up and asked about other courses.

Later the head Physicist there rang me up and asked if I wanted to do Physics. I said I wouldn't mind doing it, but I'd rather do Economics. Plus I only got grade C in Physics and Maths when your meant to have A's, but he gave me an offer anyway for the hell of it! He said it was refreshing to hear some honesty and not have someone begging for an offer, so gave me one anyway in case I changed my mind!

EDIT: Spelling

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.