Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

World Darts Championship 2011 Watch

ReputationRep:
    If Anderson keeps playing as he has been, then he is the only possible winner. However, he did suggest that maybe he might not be able to keep it for the last two games in his interview, hinting at a possible sign of tiredness. He will also now feel that he is the favourite for the tournament, and may start to feel nerves and pressure, and that first set against Barney where he did an 80 average might become more common. If that is the case, then it brings it right open and I wouldn't write off Terry Jenkins to do the job in the tournament. Like Webster was tonight, Terry Jenkins is about as steady as a player can be, and if Anderson isn't on his game then Terry might sneak past him.

I would love to see a Lewis and Anderson final though, there could be 40 180s if that got going!

(Original post by Phil_Waite)
      What are next week's lottery numbers?
      I actually had a fair success on the lottery three weeks ago.

And not a single number on four tickets tonight

ReputationRep:
      God this Geordie commentator is annoying the **** out of me

ReputationRep:
      Lewis is, or was just, on fire. Never thought he had this in him.
      • TSR Support Team

I go away for a few days and I never thought in that time both Phil Taylor and Barney would go out, still it's a cracking final between Adrian Lewis and Gary Anderson.

ReputationRep:
      is this actually a sport... lol.
      Can someone tell me how in any way it is interesting to watch darts.. i can understand maybe playing when you're bored at home or something... but actually watching it??
      • TSR Support Team

Adrian Lewis is world champion 2011.

(Original post by Ihategcse)
        is this actually a sport... lol.
        Can someone tell me how in any way it is interesting to watch darts.. i can understand maybe playing when you're bored at home or something... but actually watching it??

Well, I just watched the final on SKY Sports - Its legally recognized as a Sport - To read a report about it in the paper I'll have to turn to the sport section.

Kinda conclusive really that tells me its a sport.

Find a braincell and watch the fourth leg (game of that match) and you'll find out why its so good.

Well played Lewis by the way.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
        Well, I just watched the final on SKY Sports - Its legally recognized as a Sport - To read a report about it in the paper I'll have to turn to the sport section.

Kinda conclusive really that tells me its a sport.

Find a braincell and watch the fourth leg (game of that match) and you'll find out why its so good.

Well played Lewis by the way.
        I've watched it once or twice before.. I found it incredibly dull just watching large guys with tattoos and those weird shirts throw darts at a board..
        • TSR Support Team

I love the drama of Darts matches, this year was one of the best World Championships, on that note the BDO is on this week, however the quality seems to be getting worse each year.

ReputationRep:
        The Premier League lineup has been confirmed - Taylor, Lewis, Wade and Anderson as the automatic qualifiers, with Barney, Whitlock, Jenkins and Webster as the wildcards. It's almost the same as last year, but with Anderson and Webster replacing Baxter and King. That's pretty much as was expected, with Barney and Whitlock guaranteed to have been given wildcards and Jenkins and Webster both reaching the semi finals of the world championship. The opening night should be a cracker, with Lewis playing Taylor.
        • TSR Support Team

Should be a cracker of a Premier League.

(Original post by Rock Fan)
          I love the drama of Darts matches, this year was one of the best World Championships, on that note the BDO is on this week, however the quality seems to be getting worse each year.
          I agree that its not as high as the PDC but I do watch the BDO Worlds because I'm a darts fan and not a code fan. The thing is that the two main things the BDO were streets ahead of - the Womens game and the Youth game the PDC are now chasing down themselves. About the other PDC World Championships, I'd have them televised during the World Championships, like the womens is done at Lakeside, possibly scrapping the prelims - 1 match each session alternating between Youth and Womens world championship, - with 20 sessions room for 10 players in each which wouldnt be a bad event.

I wouldnt say that the BDO's been that bad this year, 7 seeds going out opens up the tournament but as BG said, seedings arent worth as much as they used to be now there's 16 seeds as opposed to eight.

The reason why I'd say the BDO tournament is so hit and miss is because of the qualifying procedure as it is the top 24 get places in the rankings along with the semi-finalists of the previous year plus the Winmau World Master, any spare places come the qualifying (which is the day before the Masters begins) go to the qualifiers as some players, e.g. Adams might have qualified three or four times by that point. The interesting system, and one that I think certainly makes interesting reading through the system is that after the World Championships, on Monday the rankings will be reset to 0 (a bit like the Race to Dubai in Golf) and if players want to get there again they need to get the points. Some players having got the invite through SF places normally will relax in the season and play less tournaments knowing the place is secure, e.g. Chisnall and Phillips, however when the seeds are announced they are not seeded. Compare that to the 2 year rolling ranking system in the PDC which means the 200 grand Adrian won on Monday will not come off until the 2013 tournament.

No right or wrong way to do it - both systems seem to work for their organisations so there's no problem with that from me,

Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed the last three weeks, how about setting up a proper Darts society on TSR?

ReputationRep:
          The BDO isn't as bad as people make out, the seeding's system is rubbish but there is quality in the field. Waites won the GSOD, Hankey beat Taylor in it. The likes of Whitlock and King have held more than their own in the PDC despite never winning the BDO World Champs and Webster is putting in a decent showing. I'll always be a BDO fan 1st, it's what I grew up following on teletext and watching highlights till 2 in the morning

ReputationRep:
          Adams - Waites final looks to be on the cards. There are hardly any other decent players left. The stupid seeding system meant that the Hankey-Waites match was effectively a semi-final.

I wonder who will defect this year? Will we see Waites and Chisnall moving over? Hankey as an outside bet?

It's time they finally merged the two codes, put all the Pro's in the PDC and made the Lakeside a strictly amateur event (its not far away already). It was more and less neck and neck over the last 10 years in terms of quality, but the BDO simply can't replace the top players as quickly as they defect.

ReputationRep:
          The closest thing to darts i can watch here is this ad
          • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by py0alb)
          Adams - Waites final looks to be on the cards. There are hardly any other decent players left. The stupid seeding system meant that the Hankey-Waites match was effectively a semi-final.

I wonder who will defect this year? Will we see Waites and Chisnall moving over? Hankey as an outside bet?

It's time they finally merged the two codes, put all the Pro's in the PDC and made the Lakeside a strictly amateur event (its not far away already). It was more and less neck and neck over the last 10 years in terms of quality, but the BDO simply can't replace the top players as quickly as they defect.
          I fully expect Scott Waites to make the switch after the Lakeside. There was a strong rumour going around after the Slam that Barry would offer him a PL wildcard to switch over, obviously there was nothing in that but i'm still backing him to move over.

I'd love to see Tony O'Shea switch, but i'm not so sure that will happen.

ReputationRep:
          Its a shame so many of the popular/well know players of recent years from the BDO have gone to PDC

I am not a hardcore darts fan but after a few years of watching some BDO I got to kow some faces, of those there are only a couple left.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2011
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.