Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbeanmochi)
    Ugh, I wish I could just wake up on th 6th... :nothing:

Hey, apparently the letter tends to be (at least a bit) thicker if it's an acceptance. Just thought I'd pass that on... not sure if you wanted to know... :bebored:
    I agree. If it is a rejection letter, it will contain just one A4 sized sheet with the standard reply. However, if you are offered a place, chances are, your envelope will contain additional information explaining your offer conditions and any further procedures. This makes further sheets likely, but not necessary. Hence a thick letter is a good indicator of an offer. A thin letter does not exclude an offer, but increases the probability of a rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapientia)
    This is the same year after year. There should be a sticky saying: IT DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN ANYTHING.

Example: Queens' acceptance letters last year were thinner than a wafer.
    True. It's just an excuse to let off some of the nervousness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Me and my friends put those ducks out! The porters were baffled. Anyway yes, Robinson's very nice, laid back and friendly as you said... you learn to love the brick and hate St John's before long.
    You can do that no matter which college you're at though Besides, Robinsons can't hate them as much as Christ's do

I quite like Robinsons, when i've been there. Your rooms are amazing and your gardens are really nice. I prefer it over some of the older colleges in Cambridge (though i love Christ's more )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RechtsDerIsar)
    I agree. If it is a rejection letter, it will contain just one A4 sized sheet with the standard reply. However, if you are offered a place, chances are, your envelope will contain additional information explaining your offer conditions and any further procedures. This makes further sheets likely, but not necessary. Hence a thick letter is a good indicator of an offer. A thin letter does not exclude an offer, but increases the probability of a rejection.
    Apparently it's only the case at some colleges, though, especially if they ask you to do some paperwork at the interview time. But at mine (Robinson) apparently the acceptances are quite thick, haha

Which college are you going for?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Robinson and now I fear the thin letter. Not that it really matters, since once you've seen the letter you're gonna find out in the next minute...

ReputationRep:
    There's a thread to discuss the horror of thin letters here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1504181

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapientia)
    This is the same year after year. There should be a sticky saying: IT DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN ANYTHING.

Example: Queens' acceptance letters last year were thinner than a wafer.
    Indeed, this topic does come up every year, and colleges seem to do things differently each year.

General conclusions: -

Thick letter = offer or pool

Thin letter = could be anything (mine was thin)

So really, you can't assume anything, so just open the damn letter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbeanmochi)
    Apparently it's only the case at some colleges, though, especially if they ask you to do some paperwork at the interview time. But at mine (Robinson) apparently the acceptances are quite thick, haha

Which college are you going for?
    Caius. You applying for entry this year? Which subject?

ReputationRep:
    Caius. You applying for entry this year? Which subject?
    Yes, are you? What's your subject?

For me it's Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (for Japanese), but after my interview i'm trying to keep my hopes down, haha. But I'm too optimistic for my own good! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elephantinc)
    I applied to Robinson and now I fear the thin letter. Not that it really matters, since once you've seen the letter you're gonna find out in the next minute...
    Great, I was beginning to think other Robinson applicants didn't exist! I'm applying for Japanese, how about you?
    Good luck, anyway!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidrah)
    Wow.. So unfair!
    I had to wait until January.. Sad times..
    Anyway, good luck to those still waiting, and congrats to those who got offers (oh, and good luck meeting them!)
    We still have four days until we find out, it's just that this thread was created super early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpatb)
    Really?!
    Despite ticking the "I don't want any post, I only want stuff via email" box on my UCAS form, I'm still receiving post -_-
    It's lovely to get offer letters, but I just wish that the postal system here was more efficient.

Same to you! I see we've both applied to Christ's! Good luck to you too I hope that I'll be seeing you there in 10 months
    hahaha, i guess i'm lucky then i'd hate to wait for offer letters to arrive.

ahh, yes! keeping my fingers crossed.
    oh, nice, what course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink giggle)
    hahaha, i guess i'm lucky then i'd hate to wait for offer letters to arrive.

ahh, yes! keeping my fingers crossed.
    oh, nice, what course did you apply for?

Luckily for me, UCAS is quicker to change the status of track than the postal system where I live, so I generally get notified on UCAS
    I may have to email them, or decide to wait for 6 weeks before I get a letter :P\

I applied for Chemical Engineering via Physical Natural Sciences!
    I'm so nervous!
    I don't know how long it takes track to change for cambridge offers.. hmm :/

Good luck! I'm sure you will be fineee! What course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    I am an international applicant at Caius. Will I be notified by email or by post ?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    My offer letter was in a small white envelop and quite thick as it had the offer letter and few forms to fill in and send back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashraf_mahfuz)
    I am an international applicant at Caius. Will I be notified by email or by post ?
    It depends from college to college - maybe Caius has said something in their emails/letters to you, or on their interview pages on their website?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I hope that this week, I can post good news on this thread. I am so nervous but excited at the same time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    I hope that this week, I can post good news on this thread. I am so nervous but excited at the same time
    What college and subject did you apply for?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    What college and subject did you apply for?
    I applied to do Maths at Emmanuel. Lovely college Although my AS results will probably damage my application quite badly (ABBCC) What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    I applied to do Maths at Emmanuel. Lovely college Although my AS results will probably damage my application quite badly (ABBCC) What about you?
    Well, you were invited for an interview, so you have a chance of being admitted. How did it go?
    I've applied to Gonville and Caius to read medicine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.