Announcements

ReputationRep:
    LotR is more epic.

ReputationRep:
    Books

Lord of The Rings
    + Complex themes and ideas.
    + Inspiration to many subsequent authors and film makers
    + A lot of characters, epic battles, and romance.
    + A large amount of backstory. Gives depth to the story.

- Quite complex language. Off putting to younger/less able readers.

- A large amount of backstory. Can be a bit offputting when it goes of at a tangent.

Harry Potter
    + Easy to read, hence motivating people who may not other pick up a book to read it.
    + Complex ideas subtly introduced.
    + Interesting characters.

- No consistency in the length of books. Seems to me that at the beginning Rowling didn't really envisage this epic as it is now and I feel the first book isn't necessarily up to the standard of the others.
    - Not really a negative as literature would never have progressed if this never happened but similar ideas used from Lord of the Rings - e.g. Aragog ~ Shelob, Rings of Power ~ Horcruxes, Gandalf ~ Dumbledore. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't really fit in positives.

Personally I prefer Lord Of the Rings but generally I think that's because the story is more epic :'). That said I do love Harry Potter too.

ReputationRep:
    nice sharing............

ReputationRep:
    The fact is:
    Emma Watson = :sexface::sexface::sexface:...Gandalf = :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Films: LOTR
    Books: Harry Potter

ReputationRep:
    The problem with the LotR is that they could've just used the goddamn eagles, but the first Harry Potter films had shockingly bad acting in :rofl:
    So LotR, simply because Legolas is so hot :sogood:

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who thinks LOTR is dull should just give up on reading and live in a cave watching X-Factor and Big Brother for the rest of their lives. LOTR is already an epic trendsetter for fantasy fiction as far as literature goes, unlike Rowling Tolkien did not just create a half-arsed world, his world is actually complete enough to visualise. As for the movies, any of the 3 LOTR movies beat the entire Harry Potter series hands down, be it in terms of acting, cinematography, the soundtrack or just the sheer visual quality.

ReputationRep:
    I feel myself getting when reading HP. It's pretty badly written.

LOTR on the other hand. They aren't tough like people say. I read them when I was 9 and understood it all. The plot is much better than HP too.

And as for the films. No competition. LOTR any day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSilentG)
    The fact is:
    Emma Watson = :sexface::sexface::sexface:...Gandalf = :eek:
    Arwen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    So LotR, simply because Legolas is so hot :sogood:
    Lol yes, even if the quality of the rest of the films had been awful, there would always have been this to salvage it.

ReputationRep:
    Never seen larry jotter so can't really comment. I ****ing loved lotr and can't wait for the hobbit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    I think the more important question is:

Gandalf vs Dumbledore - who would win?

Ohhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Now that would be ****ing epic!

I prefer Harry Potter, but only just. The main reason is because I grew up with them, and getting read them to me/reading them. I LOVE the Hobbit, and I really can't wait until that comes out on film. I think the Harry Potter films so far haven't been as epic as the LOTR ones, and to a greater extent nor have the books, but the second part of Deathly Hallows is going to be awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings Films are the best
    Then the Harry Potter Books,
    ...Then the Lord of the Rings Books
    ......and then the Harry Potter films. <--They missed a lot of the stuff i would have liked to have seen, but ahwell.

ReputationRep:
    LOTR is superior for several reasons. It is a more complex narrative, containing deeper allusions and themes, as well as stronger characters. I am a huge Harry Potter fan though and will not knock it. I just find Tolkien's writings superior to Rowling's. And for those of you who said it was difficult and slow, I read the Hobbit and LOTR at the age of nine, it was not that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know when the Hobbit will be made into film and the release date approximately?

(Quote me to reply)

ReputationRep:
    LOTR, preciousssssss

ReputationRep:
    Barry Trotter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    Arwen?
    :sexface: Despite the fact I had to type that into Google; obviously I'm not a J. R. R. Tolkien :rolleyes:. Nice username by the way .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    Arwen?
    Liv Tyler should not have played Arwen. That was a travesty of a casting decision.

ReputationRep:
    Not a fan of Harry Potter, LOTR has more violence... my sort of film.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.