Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job Centres to give food vouchers to the unemployed Watch

(Original post by Jim-ie)
      How the **** would you know anything about living on benefits? You're 14 or 15 or some ****.

Its extremely difficult, near impossible to get enough benefits that it pays more than working. Very few people pull it off, vast majority of people unemployed will get Jobseekers and little else like I did.

If you think £55 a week is enough to survive on then you need to grow up and fast.

"Benefit lifestyle", jesus wept. You need to spend more time off the computer and less time on the student room, you've clearly a warped sense of reality.
      Benefits have been specifically calculated so that it is possible for an individual to live on.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rylit91)
      What about those who are entitled to it but live at home with parents, and do not need food vouchers? Perhaps they need money for transport to interviews, or whatever they might need it for. Bit absurd to believe that food is the only essential in life.
      Then the solution would be to... you guessed it! Give them a free bus pass. Lol. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      If you think £55 a week is enough to survive on then you need to grow up and fast.
      You seem to be ignoring housing benefit there.

And that your NI is paid (which is plainly bizzare).

And council tax benefit.

Just because the headline rate is low doesn't mean its comparable to the income of someone in work.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Roflhahalol)
      Then the solution would be to... you guessed it! Give them a free bus pass. Lol. :facepalm2:
      :lolwut:So when the the bills land on the door step they should just send a picture of their bus pass to the companies?:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      :lolwut:So when the the bills land on the door step they should just send a picture of their bus pass to the companies?:facepalm2:
      What bills?
      You said specifically about travelling to interviews my solution is bus passes, what the fudge are you on about? Pictures of a bus pass? :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      Benefits have been specifically calculated so that it is possible for an individual to live on.
      Benefits have been calculated to supplement and income.

You're also assuming people who get some form of benefits can get them all, however that logic works out.

So go on, tell me, how is it possible to live on benefits, I want numbers. You give me the numbers I'll give you the outgoings.

You're also assuming people who get some form of benefits can get them all, however that logic works out.

So go on, tell me, how is it possible to live on benefits, I want numbers. You give me the numbers I'll give you the outgoings.
        I'm not here to waste my time giving you bull**** numbers, but I fail to see how Jobseeker's Allowance is a supplement income. :lolwut:

I did not assume that people get who some form of benefit can get them all.

Frankly, of course it is tough to live on benefits! Whoever said it wasn't? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Quady)
        You seem to be ignoring housing benefit there.

And that your NI is paid (which is plainly bizzare).

And council tax benefit.

Just because the headline rate is low doesn't mean its comparable to the income of someone in work.
        Not everyone has to pay council tax; they don't have council tax where I live.

National Insurance will be paid regardless and when someone does find work it goes back as normal.

Housing Benefit is always temporary and heavily regulated, I'd not be able to get it as I work even though my rent cripples me sometimes.

Lets put it this way, after the bare minimum in bills, benefits dont stretch very far unless you work the system, it does not mean the system is designed is allow people to do so.

ReputationRep:
        What bills?
        You said specifically about travelling to interviews my solution is bus passes, what the fudge are you on about? Pictures of a bus pass? :facepalm2:
        I think you'll find what I actually said was "travelling to interviews, or whatever they might need it for."

ReputationRep:
        I'm not here to waste my time giving you bull**** numbers, but I fail to see how Jobseeker's Allowance is a supplement income. :lolwut:

I did not assume that people get who some form of benefit can get them all.

Frankly, of course it is tough to live on benefits! Whoever said it wasn't? :lolwut:
        You're an idiot. You're not here to waste your time backing up your arguments but you're happy enough to buy into the "benefit lifestyle" pish that is printed in the Daily Mail.

Enough said.

ReputationRep:
        I think you'll find what I actually said was "travelling to interviews, or whatever they might need it for."
        But you do admit you mentioned for travelling? Ok now we've established that.. as you were.

ReputationRep:
        But you do admit you mentioned for travelling? Ok now we've established that.. as you were.
        Yes, but we've also established that I mentioned that they might need it for all manner of things in the same sentence, meaning you can't separate the two points without quoting me out of context.

ReputationRep:
        Seriously some of you guys need to live in the real world ...

I have 7yrs Financial Admin exp and can't find a job, the office sector has took a massive hit in the jobs market. I study part-time and I am not eligible for a maintenance loan.

I've even tried applying for retail jobs and have been told I'm over qualified or that I will leave when something better comes along. So no luck there.

I get single person dole and enough housing benfit for a shared house. No kids so I get no extra there. And its so difficult especially if you have been used to a full-time wage. And I have no idea how people can take holidays ect, I think there must get dsa or something.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
        you horrible character . why do you look down on someone who hasn't got a job?
        Because this forum is full of ignorant children with no experience of the world beyond their comfortable sheltered upbringings.

Most people, when they're all grown up and have actual experience of life outside school, realise that their view of benefit claimers as smelly, drunken Jeremy Kyle guests is erroneous and stop being bigots.

Job seekers Allowance is not calculated so as one can live on it. It often has to be supplemented by other means tested benefits if one has no or meagre savings.

For example, if one has made NI contributions during a period of employment, this might be enough to satisfy the contribution conditions for the payment of this flat sum of money. If the beneficiary is living in the parental home, that is all they will get. However, if they are married and have children and rent a home, they will receive supplementary benefits on a means tested basis to bring them up to the calculated minimum essential for day to day living, in addition to help with council tax and rent (housing benefit)

The only way that someone can live a life that permits them to run a car, own a plasma tv or go to the pub and treat their mates to a drink is: they're working on the side; they're making false claims for non-receipt of benefits, or claiming for those who are living elsewhere, not dependent on the beneficiary because they are making their own claims to benefits.

It's just too easy to cheat on the system...I know because I used to work in the fraud department of social security offices. But I have to insert a caveat here and say that the overwhelming majority of claimants do not cheat.

That would be totally impractical since these vouchers are for emergency situations only where the benefit entitlement has not been been calculated timeously, leaving the claimant without food.

One would hope that the time span would not exceed three weeks, and indeed, there is no provision in the regulations to issue in excess of three weeks of food vouchers for three separate periods of time in a year.

Obviously, in cases of tardiness in payment of benefits, if the claimant has no means of getting to job interviews because the venues are too far to walk to, and they have no money for fares, the government agency is placing obstacles in the claimant's way and could be taken to task.

(Original post by 1nibbler1)
          Seriously some of you guys need to live in the real world ...

I have 7yrs Financial Admin exp and can't find a job, the office sector has took a massive hit in the jobs market. I study part-time and I am not eligible for a maintenance loan.

I've even tried applying for retail jobs and have been told I'm over qualified or that I will leave when something better comes along. So no luck there.

I get single person dole and enough housing benfit for a shared house. No kids so I get no extra there. And its so difficult especially if you have been used to a full-time wage. And I have no idea how people can take holidays ect, I think there must get dsa or something.
          DSA is Disabled Students Allowance. :confused:

Of course you can live off benefits ... I can easily live off £50/week, if I wanted to ...

I am surprised you think the government would "award" people with welfare benefits, which, according to you, they can't live off!! Presumably, I am expecting people up-and-down the country to be dying from starvation ...

(Original post by yawn)
              The only way that someone can live a life that permits them to run a car, own a plasma tv or go to the pub and treat their mates to a drink is: they're working on the side; they're making false claims for non-receipt of benefits, or claiming for those who are living elsewhere, not dependent on the beneficiary because they are making their own claims to benefits.
              But he said "it is possible for an individual to live on."

I don't know about you, but I can live without a car, plasma tv or go to the pub and treat their mates to a drink ... whatever happened to "the meek shall inherit the Earth"?

ReputationRep:
              Nah I meant like Sick benefit it used to be called Disability Living Allowance or maybe ESA who knows. But I think the government should be targetting the long-term unemployed, my life is made a misery by the JC and I've only been claiming for 3months.

(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
                But he said "it is possible for an individual to live on."

I don't know about you, but I can live without a car, plasma tv or go to the pub and treat their mates to a drink ... whatever happened to "the meek shall inherit the Earth"?
                Of course you can, and so would I if I was on means tested benefits...I was making the point that the calculation of benefit payments becomes subject to means testing once there is a need for the basic, flat rate contributions-related to be supplemented because of individual family needs.

This calculation doesn't include the costs of running a car, nor for the purchase of a plasma TV once one has qualified for benefits.

I was making the point that it is those on means tested benefits who seek to live lives that are commensurate with someone in employment that should be looked at. Unless they have very generous friends and family who can provide the non-essentials, the likelihood is that they are getting extra money from somewhere that they haven't declared to the relevant department.

(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
                  Of course you can live off benefits ... I can easily live off £50/week, if I wanted to ...
                  Do you live with your parents? Are you living as a single person who has someone to share the burden of rents and other essentials such as energy costs...and...erm...food?

People make gradiose claims that they can live off £50 a week...sometimes for as long as many months...but on closer scrutiny their income needs are not as dire as they imply.

When one has exhausted one's personal emergency fund and has nothing left but the basic JSA to live on, it is practically impossible to exist on such meagre income where one is living alone. And this is why the basic rate is so low because normally there is someone else to carry the burden, such as parents. If one is living totally alone, this is normally the point where their basic JSA has to be supplemented.

It's not hard to understand...and I don't know why people are finding the concept difficult to accept.:confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
                What newspaper do you read/prefer?
                Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
              • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
                Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.