Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Common words which people can't spell Watch

ReputationRep:
    Theres a girl on my facebook who is constantly calling people 'gorjus' and telling everyone how 'tyed' she is. She has a son, I worry for him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Huh? Did you just separate two independent causes with a comma?! WTF?! What on earth were you thinking? Didn't you go to school? Didn't you read books when you were younger? Or were you just reading the young books -- did you never make it past The Hunger Caterpillar? Most people learn how to use commas in primary school. If there's any common sense in this world then you would have failed your GCSE in English. Your mistake makes me physically nauseous. Learn proper English or GTFO of the country.

Finally: some common sense. There's surely a book to be written about why people like the OP get so worked-up over those who break unofficial orthographic conventions by accident (if it hasn't been written already!).

Avoid contractions in formal writing:nothing:

(Original post by Doink-the-Clown)
      Avoid contractions in formal writing:nothing:
      Avoid emoticons in formal writing:nothing:

ReputationRep:
      lose/loose
      definitely/defiantly

Also, to ignore the "common" in the title, sacrilegious. Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
      I always see people spell "pregnant" as "pregnate". How does that happen? Seriously?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kolya)
      Avoid emoticons in formal writing:nothing:
      You first

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Superstar6318)
      I'm sick of people who can't spell so here's how to spell certain words.

Definitely - not definately or definitaly.

Breathe - note that this is spelt different from breath. You're meant to use breathe to explain how one inhales oxygen and emits carbon dioxide, and you use breath when you refer to ones breath smelling.

Occasionally - two C's used.

Focused - Why oh why do people spell it as 'focussed?'

Grammar- not grammer

does anyone care to add any more?
      Its not really a spelling thing, but when British people spell words with a z.
      Like realize...

ReputationRep:
      Disease - people spell it in a variety of different ways: desease, desiase, dasease, dissease etc...

ReputationRep:
      Perhaps not a common word but simile. People often spell it 'similie'. Including my Year 7 English teacher. We had a spelling test, and simile was one of the words. I spelt it correctly, she marked it wrong.

I ended up getting a dictionary to prove to her that I was right.

ReputationRep:

Breathe - note that this is spelt different from breath. You're meant to use breathe to explain how one inhales oxygen and emits carbon dioxide, and you use breath when you refer to ones breath smelling.
      one's*

ReputationRep:
      Necessary - Never Eat Cake, Eat Salad Sandwiches And Remain Young

My mum taught me that! Did anyone else use that acronym when learning to spell necessary? I still recite it in my head when writing it out:^_^:

ReputationRep:
      Can anyone tell me whether this is true or false:

Did they change the British spelling of encyclopaedia to encyclopedia? I have no clue as to which I should use.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rising Euphoria)
      It's good to observe you having such fun on your saturday night, scrutinising peoples spelling in a frenzied desperation to feel superior.

Is this thread a joke?
      Great first post! You're going to love it here.

ReputationRep:

Did they change the British spelling of encyclopaedia to encyclopedia? I have no clue as to which I should use.
      I wouldn't have thought so.

ReputationRep:
      I used to always mess up grateful with greatful! :o:

As Einheri has already pointed out to you, there is no official body which sets orthographic conventions. There is no "they". There's little point complaining about spelling if your comprehension skills aren't up to much. :pierre:

</snarky>

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Reagan Smash)
        Theres a girl on my facebook who is constantly calling people 'gorjus' and telling everyone how 'tyed' she is. She has a son, I worry for him
        Yeah, being unable to spell clearly makes her Britain's worst mother...

ReputationRep:
        Tired --> Tierd
        Definitely --> Definately --> Definitelie ---> Defanitely

Ah! We live in such a grammatically challenged world... Should my eulogy have grammatical errors when I pass, I'll cringe in my grave.

ReputationRep:
        Weird. I HATE it when people spell the word 'wierd'. It's just so so so wrong.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
        Yeah, being unable to spell clearly makes her Britain's worst mother...
        Yes, clearly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.