Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To all your dubstep haters Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baii93)
    Please show me a dubstep tune that isn't in 4/4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vA2Jp7mktM

ReputationRep:
    I find it boring and annoying. Which is strange because I like hardcore, hardstyle, hard-dance, chillout and everything else you'd think was close to dubstep.

There is one dubstep track I like, just one.

ReputationRep:
    How isn't that 4/4? That's pretty much a prime example, it's kick-kick-snare-kick repeated for the whole track. Replace that snare on the third with a kick and it's four to the floor house kick drum pattern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuckoo91)
    Dubstep is way too repetitive for my liking. I went to a dubstep night and it was the first time I've ever been bored at a rave.
    Does anyone else think the majority of the old 'nu-rave' kids converted to dubstep as 'nu-rave' went out of fashion?
    Yeah definitely, it's them that are listening to garbage wobwob stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I get confuzed when people say 4x4 cos I always think of 4x4 bassline. Dubstep is kick on the first, snare on the 3rd almost always (of course there's exceptions) bassline is kick, snare, kick, snare.... hence 4 beats in four 1/4 bars. In case my maths is wrong.
    No your right dubstep doesn't usually have a 'four on the floor' kick drum pattern like techno, house etc but its still in 4/4 time signiture

ReputationRep:
    That is in 4/4 but thanks for posting it, sick tune!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baii93)
    That is in 4/4 but thanks for posting it, sick tune!
    http://soundcloud.com/widowmaker/zeta-clip

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6SyS...eature=related whilst we're on the subject of Emalkay.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day it's all dubstep. I try to listen to literally every style, you like what you like-I don't mind that as long as it's on merit of it being, subjectively, a good piece of music. What I don't like is people following like sheep to certain producers etc. and this thread might be a bit elitist but meh, still.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the ridiculous filthy crap like skrillex, borgore etc., but i also can't stand all this minimal, 'arty' stuff that's being labelled as dubstep these days like james blake and mount kimbie.

james blake is just music for hipsters if you ask me, and it bears very little resemblance to any form of 'dubstep'. not that that matters, it just offers very little musically and i don't understand why he's so popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sound bwoy)
    james blake is just music for hipsters if you ask me, and it bears very little resemblance to any form of 'dubstep'. not that that matters, it just offers very little musically and i don't understand why he's so popular.
    His album is dreadful and i agree with your point if you say his album is for hipsters lol. CMYK EP is genius, and some of his other stuff is fantastic. Some of it is dubsteppy, some not. He is signed to a dubstep label. His album is nothing dubstep related though.

But yeh CMYK EP is brilliant and one of the most innovative things i have heard. His sampling, use of synths and use of silence is something i just have not heard for a long time in terms of innovative music. If he made an album like that it would be without question easily in there for album of decade.

ReputationRep:
    Dubstep just sucks ass. Until you've experienced a gabber event or listened to people like Angerfist, Brisk, Scorpio, Vortex, Radium, Mark EG you will always think dubstep is the shizzniz. Dubstep just makes me wanna sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineappletree)
    Dubstep just sucks ass. Until you've experienced a gabber event or listened to people like Angerfist, Brisk, Scorpio, Vortex, Radium, Mark EG you will always think dubstep is the shizzniz. Dubstep just makes me wanna sleep
    I've listened, and it's ****ing horrible :lol:

ReputationRep:
    This is my favourite more chilled dubstep track:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    I've listened, and it's ****ing horrible :lol:
    Compared to chase and status who just try and copy gabber to make it popular!!! Where on earth do you imagine dubstep derived from? The last north event i went to in bristol had some dubstep thing advertised and we just all laughed. I mean seriously, you guys who attend dubstep events take yourselves way too seriously

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Tkpas4oo8

Chase and status heavy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-I_3GzMZ74

Angerfist Jesus Wept

Listen to the similarities

ReputationRep:
    I tried, but I just can't get on board with any of this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineappletree)
    Compared to chase and status who just try and copy gabber to make it popular!!! Where on earth do you imagine dubstep derived from? The last north event i went to in bristol had some dubstep thing advertised and we just all laughed. I mean seriously, you guys who attend dubstep events take yourselves way too seriously
    Yeah true, i guess a load of gabber heads laughing at a dubstep advert really cuts us deep :lol:

Plus if you're implying that C&S are leaders/pioneers in dubstep then you have no clue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    Yeah true, i guess a load of gabber heads laughing at a dubstep advert really cuts us deep :lol:

Plus if you're implying that C&S are leaders/pioneers in dubstep then you have no clue.
    Hell no im not implying that at all, i was using them as an example, dubstep is essentially gabber slowed right down. Thing is i liked dubstep, before it got made commercial and watered down for the masses as is what has happened to Hardcore. I like anything with a huge banging bassline but when it starts to sound all the same i just get bored with it

ReputationRep:
    there's a pretty easy way to explain that dubstep isn't about wobble or butchering incredible songs by putting an out of time wobble and overcompressed drums on top of it (Mt Eden).

http://soundcloud.com/solitude

Brag:

Spoiler:
    Show
    He's putting 2 of my songs in vol. 11

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.