Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Letter to your younger self. Watch

ReputationRep:
    In a pinch, remember you can charge your flux capacitor with the use of a lightning rod.

ReputationRep:
    Dear younger me,

As I know you'll probably forget to do this in future without being prompted a few thousand times, I'm just sending you this letter as a note of sorts, asking if you can write a letter to your younger self in a few years, telling your younger self to avoid huffing felt-tip pens while in your art classes, as the fumes they produce greatly affect your short-term memory and capacity for concentration. Oh, and your World of Warcraft subscription is going to run out in about a week, so I advise you to get another month's subscription and keep pushing for level 70 on your Druid. Don't worry about studying for your GCSEs, you'll ace them - I know.

Oh, and I was going inform you of something regarding a certain credit card bill you will incur in the future, but I forgot what it was while writing the first paragraph of this letter out. So, yeah, if you wouldn't mind writing a letter to your future self in a few years also and reminding them of what it was they forgot, that would be great. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Dear younger Freud,

Don't go to art school. That was a silly idea.

Yours, older Freud
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezekiella)
    Aww that was touching. Happy birthday
    lol thanks.

I got £30 in my birthday cards from my parents this morning wooo. That'll pay for my trip to the cinema this evening

ReputationRep:
    Dear younger me,

Continue with your life. I am not going to ask you to correct your mistakes because those mistakes are what made you/me.

ReputationRep:
    dear me at 12,

stop thinking you're a genius and that everything will come easily for you. Learn the value of hard work, and put more effort into everything you do, if not you'll look back and think about what could've been! Don't be so rebellious towards your parents, you think you're hurting them, but you're only hurting yourself!

sincerely,
    you at 18.

ReputationRep:
    Dear 15-year-old me,

One day there will be someone who doesn't think you're fat or ugly - so stop fretting! You're only 15! Anorexia is NOT the answer, but luckily you'll drag yourself out of it before it goes too far.

When your branch of Birthdays closes down and someone suggests to you that you be transferred over to Clinton's, DO IT. That quiet, seemingly arrogant git you meet on your first day? Keep an eye on him. Not that you'll end up finding this hard...

That CD you bought from HMV in July 2008 will turn out to be the best purchase you ever made. The shared music taste will enable you to make two online friends that drag you out of your suicidal state and kick your arse into gear.

Life will seem rather **** to you right now, but on September 10th 2009 it all changes. Everything. Within the space of a fortnight you will have the independence you've always dreamed of and a man that will treat you so much better than you've ever thought you've deserved.

You don't ace your A Levels but that's fine. You end up studying something you'd never seriously thought you would, and find that you really enjoy it! So make sure you actually study at it, instead of spending your life on the website you've not-long discovered known as TSR.

Love,

Your 19-year-old self

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    :yep: It's from a song by the amazing Arcade Fire.

Very short song but I like it in writing better than the song which sounds weird....but thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    Age 14.
    I'm not going to say much, everything works out okay eventually Just do yourself a favour and work hard for exams even if it means sacrificing your social life. Oh, and use condoms. Always. That'll save you a lot of pain and trouble. Continue being an annoying little **** and stirring things up a little; everyone likes a bit of gossip :P P.S. Watch out for gingers. They **** you over.
    Age 17.

ReputationRep:
    To myself, 4 years ago to the day,

Listen mate, I hate to tell you this but in January you're going to get testicular torsion and have to have an operation. Yeah, it sucks but it's not too bad. You'll get called 'one ball' in school for ages but don't worry, they eventually realise you have two!

Er, in February you get with the girl you're after, just roll with it, I wouldn't do it any differently than I did, the end of it will be painful as hell but DON'T spend the night crying with her, just enjoy the last night together. You turn out to be amazing friends and still have the odd fling now and then.

When you get to sixth form do NOT get with the gorgeous blonde who joins your school, since you're me, I know you're stubborn enough to ignore this advice but she will make a straight 2 years of your life hell and ruin other potential relationships (Including the possiblity to get back with the first girl, you mug!) Also, by getting with her your friendship with your best friend just disappears, it ain't fun man. Oh, and you never hit that (or, you haven't yet, but it's probably best you never do)

Be more confident, grow your hair a little longer, swept fringe and short back and sides, looks better than the short cut you're sporting at the moment!

Er you're going to get a tattoo when you're 18, it's kind of nice, look forward to it and don't be scared when you go to get it, doesn't hurt even half as much as you're expecting!

Don't - I repeat - DON'T sleep with Kate without protection when you're 18, the hospital trips are just embarassing.

Oh, and don't start smoking in Spain, 3 years later and you're on 20 a day. Go the gym more, eat healthier, don't get addicted to drinking 6 cans of coke a day (trust me) and don't be a miserable *******!

Oh yeah, enjoy your birthday tomorrow lad!

Life gets good mate, enjoy it.
    Shakey (19 tomorrow!)

ReputationRep:
    Dear 14 year old me.

stop trying so hard.
    stop worrying so much.
    Don't bother.
    Do what you want, not what you 'should.'

Be an optimist.
    Enjoy life, you're living it. This is it!!
    Take risks.

Just do it! Regrets come later in life.

Lots of love, your maturer self.

ReputationRep:
    Oi you,

TAKE A FRIGGIN' ENGLISH A LEVEL, not sociology ffs

Regards, a bitter 17 year old.

ReputationRep:
    Dear 12 year old self,

Don't wear those pink trousers to school on red nose day....they're ugly and embarassing.

Dear 17 year old self,

WARNING! DO NOT GO OUT WITH R***, HE WILL CHEAT ON YOU MULTIPLE TIMES!

Love your regretful 18 year old self.

ReputationRep:
    this looks like fun

Dear 15-year old self,

Stop being a crybaby. You'd be surprised that those places that you longed so much are within your grasp now. of course, it wasn't exactly straightforward, but u'll get there. and i have to thank your hardwork for it.
    and stop looking up at people. they all turned out to be a disappointment. the only ones to look up to are your own will and determination.
    and those boys. he turned out to be a wannabe. u deserve better. seriously.

sign,
    your 19 year old self.

ReputationRep:
    Dear myself, aged:13

Dads cheating on mum with some fat ****, tell her now or you'll start rebelling. Either way.

Yours sincerly, Bambie aged 18

ReputationRep:
    Dear myself, aged 12,

Don't worry, soon you will find your own sense of style and won't always be the girl in the combats and rugby shirt with uncontrollably frizzy hair.

Don't make friends with Catherine, she will make you feel completely worthless and like you don't deserve any friends at all.

Soon you will learn that you don't hate languages at all, they are what you love most in the world.

Don't waste the five years of secondary school being unconfident and afraid to speak up in class. You will get the best GCSE results in the school, so don't spend the whole time feeling like an idiot.

Love from myself, age 16

(Original post by boromir9111)
      Very short song but I like it in writing better than the song which sounds weird....but thanks for that!
      That is the closing track of the album so it's not their best one by a mile. Here is the opening track, 'The Suburbs':

Dear 12 year old Arcadia,

I know you're probably in your room, reading, like you usually are, and listening to music that everyone else thinks sucks, but this time of your life will be defined by the books you read and the music you listen to, and both of them are epic. You're going to spend the next few years of your life worrying and being excited in equal measure. And take some easier school subjects ffs. Just because one door closes doesn't mean the whole world is crashing in, even though it feels like it now. You're going to visit London in a couple of years and it will change your life. You're going to grow in confidence and people will try and say you're wrong, but you're right. You were as good as you thought all along. People will label your dedication as obsession, and that's no bad thing. Keep reading, keep writing, keep being curious and wanting to experience more. Everything's going to get as worse as it can get, but things are starting to pick up now.

By the way you're going to become obsessed with Stephen Fry at 15, but you'll meet him at 17 and discover he's a ****.

STOP WORRYING.

17 year old Arcadia

ReputationRep:
        nothing. i'm amazing as it is.

ReputationRep:
        Dear 14 year old self,

Chillax with studies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.