Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Idiot drivers in the snow Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    We have this thread every year, its getting very tedious now.

Advice;

Slow down
    Increase distance to car in front
    Fit winter tyres
    Dont be a ****
    Drive otherwise normally
    Keep calm and carry on

What makes it so difficult? Oh yeah, people saying stuff like "Ive only had a car since July, but im not a new driver". Um.... yes, no matter how many miles you covered over summer you have ZERO experience of driving in snow, so take your attitude and shove it. Anyway, where I am its, 30 degrees and sunny, so dont have to worry about **** student drivers and **** english weather.

This is what my dad taught me when I was 17:

Driving on ice and/or snow?

if you accelerate hard: you will skid.

If you attempt to take a corner whilst travelling too quickly: you will skid.

If you touch the brakes at all: you will skid.

So don't do any of those things, and don't put yourself in a position where you might have to do any of those things. So drive slowly, especially if there are cars on the road or corners ahead. Try to take the racing line on corners wherever possible (smooth out the corner to reduce hard steering). Only accelerate extremely gently, and change up earlier than usual. If you really, really, really have to brake, then at least do it on a straight patch of road, not while you're going round a corner.

If you do start skidding, then take your feet off the pedals entirely ,and attempt to gently manoeuvre the car away from any obstacles until you stop skidding. Basically stop doing the thing that caused the skid in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I have more trouble with idiot pedestrians in the snow. They think because cars are going slower, they can just walk out into the road, completely forgetting that if drivers brake then they may well skid into the pedestrian -_-

Some fool last week was with his kid (on one of those toy cars that the parent pushes on a stick), looked around at the junction, saw me approaching slowly - I was very nearly at the give way by this point - and pushes his kid out into the road! Luckily it was more slush than snow so I managed to gently brake and stop... :mad: but a few nights previous I'd come up to the same junction, hit black ice and slid out into the main road (again, I was only going about 5mph but it's downhill. Scared me ****less, lucky there was no traffic on the main road...)

ReputationRep:
    Ah the advantages of mud terrain tyres. It is pretty dam difficult to get the driving wheels (rear) to spin and unless you jab the steering over you don't have any understeer. Brakes are drums as well so very difficult to lock up unless you try.

Apart from the whole second gear, etc... a helpful hint I heard and used on my dads car 2 nights ago is with the handbrake (OK only works if it works on the driving wheels). You have the situation where only one wheel is spinning because of lost grip on one side. Gently pull the handbrake up while moving of and it should act as a (very primitive!) limited slip diff.

My street at uni is also on a very steep hill so heading back down gently applying the handbrake instead of actual brakes means the fronts can't lock up hence steering is maintained even if the rears do.

ReputationRep:
    Good tip about the handbrake, I have a Torsion LSD on my car, great in the dry, horrific in the snow. Applying the handbrake adds some resistance and you stop the wheel spin. Although, not had much wheel spin, skidding or lack of control, thanks to winter tyres. This is definitely the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    i always think its because they have loads of money and insurance on there cars that they don't care if they crash.
    (i'm on about the rich lads that own bmw's)

ReputationRep:
    I had a bit of a muddle yesterday, was only going at about 20mph (on a dead icy road...) and this woman was probably coming at 35 in the other direction. Long story short we ended up about a fingernail's width away from each other with me halfway up a bank, no harm done but it shook me a bit!

We had tonnes more snow today so little brother was informed he would not be being transported to work...

ReputationRep:
    This made me laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfUpQ...layer_embedded

Kinda sick that the guy didn't go out and help the poor women or offer advice from the window, but damn...I guess he knew there was no helping some people!

ReputationRep:
    What makes it so difficult? Oh yeah, people saying stuff like "Ive only had a car since July, but im not a new driver". Um.... yes, no matter how many miles you covered over summer you have ZERO experience of driving in snow, so take your attitude and shove it.
    Seems like you're the one with the attitude. I've had my licence for more than 5 years. This is my first car, not the first time I've been driving...

Anyway, where I am its, 30 degrees and sunny, so dont have to worry about **** student drivers and **** english weather.
    Do us a favour and stay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    Of course if the motorway is really congested the rules are slightly different (in that the left hand lanes might be traveling faster than you and no one should change lanes) In that scenario your breaking could actually cause more issues further back. There have been a few surveys that show that one person breaking can cause a traffic jam (as everyone behind has to break a bit)
    your idea is based on those surveys. if you read deeper into the surveys you will actually see they are referring to people braking because they were driving too close to the vehicle in front and the braking having a ricochet effect down the traffic lane.

easily avoided by people maintaining a safe distance in the first place, although it is difficult in heavy traffic at times due to other peoples poor driving and tendancy to cut into your braking distance.

(Original post by mfaxford)
    That reads that you'll take actions on a motorway to antagonize people who you believe are in the wrong.

In terms of shutting the door. What if they've had to cut in on you because someone else has cut in on them which you didn't see. They might be trying to avoid the accident you've just caused.
    your accident scenario is based on the assumption i would not take into account the apparent circumstances before i act. As i clearly explained its the types who you see all the time, coming up alongside, sizing up the gap waiting for it to open up a bit to then swerve in with no indicators. there is plenty of time to have worked out what was going on there. Its usually people who want off at the next junction but dont want to que so think rushing up the outside lane until the 100yard marker and trying to get into lane 1 will work.

but again had they indicated they might have been let in.

thats a completely different scenario to you swerving from lane 2 to 3 to avoid being crushed in a lorries blind spot.

My antagonising of other drivers is purely in reaction to their sustained poor driving.

Another favourite of mine is putting on the rear fogs for idiots who dont dip their main beam behind me. They soon dip when they are getting blinded.

(Original post by Elementric)
    Likewise, an appalling and unsafe attitude to driving. Just because there are people being tits on the roads, that isn't justification for you to cause an accident. I'd be interested to see how you cope when the time comes that you see one of these drivers crash and die because you closed a gap that they were going into.
    again you have failed to grasp the simple concept that regardless of what i did, there would be NO accident if the tailgater drove in accordance with the highway code and RTA.

Id cope fine with someone dying because they were a **** driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    again you have failed to grasp the simple concept that regardless of what i did, there would be NO accident if the tailgater drove in accordance with the highway code and RTA.

Id cope fine with someone dying because they were a **** driver.
    No, I haven't failed to grasp that at all and obviously the tailgater is the person ultimately at fault. However, this doesn't change the fact that you would have caused an accident by closing a gap when you didn't have to.

You can cut the macho bull****, you wouldn't cope fine with the knowledge that someone's family has died because of your petty childishness. Or are you advocating that a suitable punishment for poor driving is to kill the driver and anyone else they may happen to have in the car with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkie)
    Seems like you're the one with the attitude. I've had my licence for more than 5 years. This is my first car, not the first time I've been driving...

Do us a favour and stay?
    I have no attitude, just a lack of patience with people who can say they are good drivers, invariably they arnt unless they can back it up. There are a group of people on here whos advice you should take and listen to, rather than saying how many miles you have done in the summer. It matters not a jot, and neither does the fact you've had a licence for 5 years. Pass at 17 and buy a car after uni at 22.... doesnt mean your any better than anyone else who has pretty much just passed their test.

Stay? We'll see, but its certainly not off the cards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    I'd say if the BMW driver was behind the OP for long enough to be frustrated enough to be flashing his lights and waving his fists then there would have been somewhere he could have pulled over.

If someone needs to get past me then I let them, you don't know if they are on their way to an emergency.
    Finally someone sensible posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    This made me laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfUpQ...layer_embedded

Kinda sick that the guy didn't go out and help the poor women or offer advice from the window, but damn...I guess he knew there was no helping some people!

A classic, a few more

learn which wheels are drive wheels - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGTRysqNSFs

Happens on the continent as well though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPLdsa70W0

But back to Britain, check out the guys other videos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnYPbphatfA

Pretty much fail though....

Could have saved BMW alot of money on their recent study into RWD/FWD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)
    A classic, a few more

learn which wheels are drive wheels - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGTRysqNSFs

Happens on the continent as well though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPLdsa70W0

But back to Britain, check out the guys other videos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnYPbphatfA

LOL!!!

I love BMW drivers who think their car is FWD. Its classic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)

A prime candidate for my new pilot scheme of compulsary euthanasia...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Unless they have blue flashing lights, I'm not pulling over for them in this weather. Driving recklessly in this weather is what leads you to BECOME the emergency.
    You ever thought the guy without blue flashing lights could be an oncall consultant etc

(Original post by JohnC2211)
    I drive to the speed limit in these weather conditions. You should not make assumptions about my 'limited driving skills.' I warrant that I probably have more driving skills than you.

My response you quoted was aimed at people who EXCEED the speed limit in these sorts of weather conditions.

I bet you're one of these ********s who makes assumptions on a student forum and gets overly aggressive aren't you?
    Why do you have the rights to dictate who can exceed the speed limit, in my streetka not a chance it would end up in a ditch give me the scoobie and im perfectly comfortable exceeding the speed limit, hence i wouldnt be happy if you were crawling along in front of me, let them past

(Original post by yvonnay)
    when I was driving the other day, some stupid lorry thought it would be a brilliant idea to go at 70 in the fast line and splash a load of slushed ice all over my windscreen...I was not impressed! Ha
    why did the lorry see the need to over take you

(Original post by cellophane11)
    For example the other day I was driving along in the first lane and I could see this car with a queue behind it was trying to get on, I checked the second lane and it was completely clear. I pulled into it to let the other cars out.
    Suddenly this car came up behind me - must have been driving really fast (way past the speed limit) to get behind me so quickly. At that point I could have driven faster and then pulled into the first lane when possible. But it made me so angry I slowed down a little
    the real question is why you moved over without a good view of the road behind you, the highway code says if its not safe to join to wait on the slip road.

ReputationRep:
    I see a lot of van drivers driving badly, but then again they drive badly in good conditions! LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    If you do start skidding, then take your feet off the pedals entirely ,and attempt to gently manoeuvre the car away from any obstacles until you stop skidding. Basically stop doing the thing that caused the skid in the first place.
    Not really the best idea with a front wheel drive car, this...
    You should be able to use the front wheels to pull yourself back into a straight line.
    With RWD, sure (although I still feather the throttle in these situations myself, since I find that helps me keep a measure of the amount of rear grip available during the slide) but since we're on a student forum, most people here will be driving FWD cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Not really the best idea with a front wheel drive car, this...
    You should be able to use the front wheels to pull yourself back into a straight line.
    With RWD, sure (although I still feather the throttle in these situations myself, since I find that helps me keep a measure of the amount of rear grip available during the slide) but since we're on a student forum, most people here will be driving FWD cars.
    Which bit do you disagree with out of interest?

Say I'm going round a corner on a snowy road and the car starts to slide wide on the bend, and I'm in danger of going into the hedge.

Do you recommend people:

a) press the accelerator because according to your understanding of physics, rapidly spinning front wheels have better grip than rolling wheels?

b) slam their foot on the brake because according to your understanding of physics, locked rear wheels will get better grip than rolling wheels?

c) depress the clutch to remove all form of engine braking?

d) turn the wheel even more extremely so that they completely lose the back end because then at least they go into the hedge backwards?

I'm curious as to hear which option it is that you favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    You ever thought the guy without blue flashing lights could be an oncall consultant etc
    Then he's got no right to be driving dangerously! If they're a doctor responding to an emergency then they should have a green flashing light if not then they're like any other driver.

They'd also be breaking the first rule of First Aid (and I imagine any form of medicine) by putting themselves and others into danger.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.