Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Same tedious and negative comments from people who do not own nor use an iPad.

This pathetic line that they are not for hardcore user is stupid, really stupid. Everyone I know who happens to own one has a stack of high end machines as well and are undoubtedly a hell of a lot more savvy than half the haters here.

I find the iPad excellent and use it for many tasks .... Irig and squeezebox to name but two..

I thought it was a bargain for the price, but i daresay that different people have different idea about expense.

Etc....

Welsh bluebird seems to be one of the few people who actually understand the nature of tablets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)

This pathetic line that they are not for hardcore user is stupid, really stupid. Everyone I know who happens to own one has a stack of high end machines as well and are undoubtedly a hell of a lot more savvy than half the haters here.

I find the iPad excellent and use it for many tasks .... Irig and squeezebox to name but two..

I thought it was a bargain for the price, but i daresay that different people have different idea about expense.

Etc....

Welsh bluebird seems to be one of the few people who actually understand the nature of tablets.
    I have been using computers since the 80286 days, and I think tablets for certain uses are *******s.

ReputationRep:

Lol. I don't mean to sound arrogant but I am studying networking, and prior to this I did have the know how on how to troubleshoot, build computers etc...

How can you justify the expense and call it a bargain? Take my example of the netbook again. The Asus 1005PE costs arouns £280-£300 and it has better specifications, as well as 3G capability. It far out performs the iPad for a cheaper price.

I see the point in some tablets; just not at that price when you can get better specifications in a netbook for less money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I have been using computers since the 80286 days,
    well in that case, you have not been using them as long as I have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I think tablets for certain uses are *******s.
    I am afraid that this says rather more about you than it does about anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    How can you justify the expense and call it a bargain? Take my example of the netbook again. The Asus 1005PE costs arouns £280-£300 and it has better specifications, as well as 3G capability. It far out performs the iPad for a cheaper price..
    But that comparison is pointless as they are different things.
    If you compare it to its actual competitors (like the Galaxy Tab) then it is actually a decent price.

ReputationRep:
    Chinaski, could you please let us know about your experience and knowledge of computers. Also, how do you justify the costs of an Apple iPad, when there are netbooks out there that have better specifications(hence outperform the iPad) and have a cheaper price? Also, why would you need a tablet device over a netbook?

Netbooks were originally designed just for surfing the internet and were really cheap. Now, they have evolved to become quite powerful and they can now do more than just "browse the internet" Tablet's didn't really market their uses to us, and they are expensive compared to other devices. I'd see the point in cheaper tablets imo

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I don't mean to sound arrogant but I am studying networking, and prior to this I did have the know how on how to troubleshoot, build computers etc...
    And I am just a little beyond the studying stage, that happened over a decade ago ... I am at the "doing" stage...

How can you justify the expense and call it a bargain? Take my example of the netbook again. The Asus 1005PE costs arouns £280-£300 and it has better specifications, as well as 3G capability. It far out performs the iPad for a cheaper price.
    I call it a bargain because I do not find it expensive.
    You are making the school boy error of comparing a tablet to a net book, you may as well compare apples to oranges.
    I see the point in some tablets; just not at that price when you can get better specifications in a netbook for less money.
    see previous answer

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to get a tablet-a Samsung Galaxy because I'm getting tired of flipping the netbook open. But I think I'll wait a little while till the reviews are a little better and get a camera instead.

ReputationRep:
    Chinaski, could you please let us know about your experience and knowledge of computers. Also, how do you justify the costs of an Apple iPad, when there are netbooks out there that have better specifications(hence outperform the iPad) and have a cheaper price? Also, why would you need a tablet device over a netbook?

Netbooks were originally designed just for surfing the internet and were really cheap. Now, they have evolved to become quite powerful and they can now do more than just "browse the internet" Tablet's didn't really market their uses to us, and they are expensive compared to other devices. I'd see the point in cheaper tablets imo
    I have a significant amount of experience, ESP. In programming maths models and as a contractor writing subs and procs. In the m.c. World. I no longer do this.

On a personal level I have pretty much every flavour of pc, and have had for many years. I have a sophisticated home network etc that supplies a large house with av and data communications etc.....

ReputationRep:
    I cant help but thinking if you ask 'should I buy an iPad' the answer is no, you shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    And I am just a little beyond the studying stage, that happened over a decade ago ... I am at the "doing" stage...
    Putting this to test, I assume you could configure port blocking on Cisco routers? I haven't done that, however technology is one big study. I have the knowledge on building and repairing, and troubleshooting computer devices so I am also at the "doing" stage, in that sense. Networking is a big step further. To use your logic(about the apples and pears), you can't compare advanced knowledge about networks or software with the basic things that you can learn at the age of 13-15

So by that logic, I could say(if I was very rich) a Ferrari is a bargain as I don't find it expensive.

You are making the school boy error of comparing a tablet to a net book, you may as well compare apples to oranges.
    Fair enough, but then why do we need expensive tablets when the lower end devices are quite sufficient?

ReputationRep:

see previous answer
    Im confused, are you arguing for or against tablets?

Tablets (well the iPad anyway) are usless as far as real work production goes.
    The HP slate on the other hand, has its place in business, where tablets have been in use for many many years.

iPad is a toy... Nothing wrong with that at all though!

ReputationRep:
    Why just save up a tad more and buy the baseline mba, you get more bang for your buck. Seriously MBA is an incredible machine and is great for higher educational students who only use their computers to surf the net or for word processing along with watching the occasional movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Im confused, are you arguing for or against tablets?

Tablets (well the iPad anyway) are usless as far as real work production goes.
    The HP slate on the other hand, has its place in business, where tablets have been in use for many many years.

iPad is a toy... Nothing wrong with that at all though!
    I am very firmly for tablets.
    I do use the iPad at work as it happens.
    I also use an le1700 and have been using such tablets for a number of years.
    My main uses of tablet are:
    Lazy browsing
    Lazy mailing
    Irig
    Squeezebox
    Photo management.
    Reading magazines
    A few games
    Bids etc when travelling

At work i use
    Calendar
    Email
    Team viewer
    PDF pro
    Brief notes when planning meetings
    Space-time
    Etc....

ReputationRep:

I owned an Ipad for two weeks and then kicked it out of my house back to the thieving shop it came from. Its a novelty based machine used to take advantage of people who love Apple.

This pathetic line that they are not for hardcore user is stupid, really stupid.

Tell me something hardcore you can do on the iPad? No Dreamweaver, No Soundbooth, No Photoshop, No AutoCAD, No Anything of good use. The majority of the apps are just tidied up versions of things available on every PC/Mac anyway. The features an iPad has are mainly aimed at people who either love Apple or like browsing the internet, reading ebooks or watching videos on the move. They are not hardcore. In fact, most new phones released can do that at the fraction of a cost. Yes the screen is not big but you cannot justify the iPads ridiculous cost just by the screen.

Everyone I know who happens to own one has a stack of high end machines as well and are undoubtedly a hell of a lot more savvy than half the haters here.

Yes because someone with an iPad is instantaneously savvy. I'd say they are instantaneously daft for parting with roughly £400-500 for a device that does hardly anything. A MBP or Windows PC Laptop/netbook is a far better option. At least you have a proper OS and an array of decent programs at your disposal.

I bet there are far better PC/Mac OSX based programs that offer far more in terms of features and functionality. You could easily use them programs on a netbook/laptop or macbook.

Bargain? You definately have more money than sense. The iPad is one of the biggest rip offs in the technology sector.

Etc....

The nature of tablets? A tablet is supposed to be available for browsing, watching films, reading ebooks and be very portable. As they have far less features, they should then cost less than laptops and so on.

I think its shocking that the best netbook on the market has a proper OS and endless possibilities is cheaper than a tablet with an OS that is extremely basic.

The tablets today are very basic in what they do and very very overpriced. I'd never buy one to be fair. I'd get a 250gb Archos before an iPad. The Archos costs a fraction of the price and has far more memory than the iPad and are based.

Unless tablets come down in price to about the same/slightly lower price of a netbook then I'm never ever going to think about buying one. Netbooks are better than tablets in every way other than reading ebooks and watching films. To me, those two things do not justify the massive extra cost.

ReputationRep:
    I am very firmly for tablets.
    I do use the iPad at work as it happens.
    I also use an le1700 and have been using such tablets for a number of years.
    My main uses of tablet are:
    Lazy browsing
    Lazy mailing
    Irig
    Squeezebox
    Photo management.
    Reading magazines
    A few games
    Bids etc when travelling

I can do all that on a netbook on a laptop plus a lot more for cheaper though :confused:

At work i use
    Calendar
    Email
    Team viewer
    PDF pro
    Brief notes when planning meetings
    Space-time
    Etc....
    I can do this as well on a netbook or laptop. Seeing as you need a case for the iPad just like you do for a netbook/laptop then you'd still have to carry something around. If the iPad was a pocket tablet then I'd understand but its not. Its still large and needs to be carried around.

Plus on a laptop you can use far more advanced programs, well, even on the netbook you can.

ReputationRep:
    I got an iPad for Christmas yesterday, so am a bit disappointed to see that it's not very popular at all! I love it, but I'm not using mine for academic purposes really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    I got an iPad for Christmas yesterday, so am a bit disappointed to see that it's not very popular at all! I love it, but I'm not using mine for academic purposes really.
    I don't hate it.

Its just its defended massively yet the features it has do not justify the cost - thats my only gripe.

Maybe when the iPad 3 or 4 come out it will offer more but at the moment the price is a joke. The price of the majority of the iPads competitors are a joke.

The prices should be around the same prices as netbooks - if that happened then sales would go up massively but as it stands you do not get value for money.

I'm getting a MBP. The iPad is a techno-toy.

ReputationRep:
    Does the iPad 2 have flash?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.